How to strengthen some memories without forgetting the rest of the memories

When ever I memorisize words by

1. Combining them
  2. Creating a sentence out of them
  3. Visualizing them in a memory palace

And then when I strengthen some of my memories by paying more attention or by using more memory methods, I mostly forget the rest of the memories if the words which were not strengthened by me,

Can anyone advise me on how to solve this problem as solving this problem will greatly increase my memory and perhaps other people’s memories also,

Have a Great Day.

When you have:
Information.A,Information.B and Information.C
When you then learn:
Information.A
Then:
Information.B and Information.C
but forget :
Information.A
This means you can keep:
Information.A
If you review it just before you forget it within:
Information.B and Information.C

Otherwise you do need to strengthen those memories you do not want to forget, just as you have described. There are small bits and pieces that will help but these are definitely the more crucial parts.

I think:

1. Your initial encoding of the data is not memorable enough…Your images are not memorable!
  2. You are not reviewing enough(spaced repetition)…

You can forget the early ones because the images you are creating are not that memorable. Naturally the words you memorized first will be forgotten sooner than the last ones. Make sure you are making your stories memorable and over time with training, you will go faster and need less visualization to remember your images

1 Like

I personally love the Leitner system for this. I have even made some adaptations to it that work pretty well. It makes sure that the things you dont know get more attention, while also giving some attention to the things you do know.

But that is what Anki does and that is what spaced repetition is. Isn’t it?

Well,I had tried to use Anki many times but was unable to use it and I am not understanding why people like it so much,and honestly recently when ever I tried to use Anki I loudly criticized it angrily,

But can you tell me why people like Anki so much and also people have to type in Anki so much and it does not have voice recognition support for this,But I think that it must have its advantages and may be one of the reasons why people like Anki so much,

Cheers.

I like Anki because it automatizes revisions, but I have to assume it has its faults and If I was a good programmer I would create a better spaced repetition application and I pretend to do so in future, unless the desire ceases. By the way, how to you revise what you learned in order for you to reinforce the neural connections related to them and not forget them?

I honestly do not actually like Anki, I criticised it heavily too but in the end I modified the parts that I did not like with plugins (my own) and made my own custom version.

The 2 ways I use it are for association training and for spaced repetition.

First the spaced repetition, I use my custom version, I can not stand Anki’s version of this, but essentially you get a reminder of whatever information you want to learn progressively so that it sticks.
Notably when you recall something before you forget it, that recall is 100% and it lasts longer than last time. You keep doing this until eventually the memory lasts for years.

Second is, association training, it is about the cue. Normally when you recall something you are not using the cue to recall anything, you are using something to remember the cue and then the answer too. With anki you can just have some cue which you do not need to remember and simply remember how to respond to that cue (the answer). This ends up halving the amount you need to learn while at the same time increasing the response to the cue (or decreasing the time to respond to it).

Also,

Yes I do agree that typing in it is annoying particularly when you have many sources of data, you essentially waste half your learning time just typing things up, but we do not really have an alternative AI application that makes perfect notes, if we did then it could be compatible with anki since you would just bulk import.

Most people however like it because of the automated management. When you have information in the 10000’s to keep track of, its much simpler to have a software handle the reviewing mechanism for you.

Could you please give me an example? Is it like Aarvard; Front of deck What does the sheep does? Back: Hard work —> Aard vark (Hard work); How could I do that sistematically with Anki in order for instead of remembering something Z directly, you remember something X that is the cue to learn Z; or how to progressively cut the difficulty of something, like remembering a cue Z, to remember X, to remember I, to remember P , to finally remember E, for instance (is that productive at all)?

Also, could you please talk about your own plugins? In case they appear interesting, I would eventually request you them.

The second best example is given an exam paper.
Front: What are the functional groups in paracetamol?
Back:
Phenol: image
Amide: image

Some added notes

Crucial here is exactly what information is present, in the above example you will always know when either something is paracetamol or when you see the structural formula that those are the functional groups.

Later on when you have learned this well, you will be able to draw paracetamols structural formula because you know it is made up of those functional groups.

If i left out the drawing of paracetamol in the front, you will likely not identify a structural formula as paracetamol correctly initially, but perhaps later on.

Now the bonus here

In the above example it would be much wiser to first learn about phenols and amides, then the difficulty here goes down drastically. You may not even need to learn this at all because you could figure it out from what you know already in the same format.

The difference is normally that you would recall what paracetamol is, then separately unrelated to paracetamol that there is a thing called paracetamol with those functional groups. The issue with this is that subconsciously that cue may rely on the fact that you are recalling what paracetamol is so when you are given an exam question you may not be able to answer this because you are given paracetamol but missing the required cue in the generation. To my experience this happens dangerously often, so I use anki.

It is.
If you learn A and learn B and C is the result of A and B you don’t have to learn C.
If you have A and B in formats similar to the above then the difficulty of each A and B does not go up regardless of the level of information you are dealing with.
Because you learn precise answers you can also get 100% in exams rather than 90% or etc due to any fatigue or excessive information confusion or even silly errors.
Your response time is minimal, since you are essentially training yourself to respond to the cue. I found on average it is at minimum half the time it would otherwise take me to read the answer.

I haven’t planned on giving them out, but they weren’t anything grand just disabling anki’s ease function and replacing it with my custom spacing methodology.

An overall statement is that you generally structure it so that you do not need to learn to recall the cue and if you do for any reason you have a separate card for this. The cue is usually what comes to you as a natural result (for example being given an exam question or thinking).

1 Like

Is there any advantage of learning chemistry? You gave me a little motivation to do so and I was used to be bad at that subject at school.

Chemistry or really science in general is always valuable, for starters it can save your life to know some of these reactions which you may encounter and they all directly deal with the reality of the physical world we live in.

If you mean an advantage that enhances your ability to learn, besides the obvious increased ability to learn science and additional knowledge for any associating. There is also getting better at the general things you are doing, such as how you are learning. Chemistry provides nearly all kinds of data that you would encounter.

1 Like
  1. Because Anki is open source! If you know Python programming language,you can do whatever you wish with Anki…its algorithm,its plugins,its database! You are the owner of everything in Anki!!

2. Anki is FREE! It supports Mobile phone,Web,Windows and Mac(paid)…and LINUX,which is the coolest thing to have for poor people like me! :slight_smile:

3. It supports Html,CSS,Javascript and you can design its cards and other stuffs the way you want!

4. You can create any types of plugins in Anki.

5. It has a spaced repetition algorithm that is tested and proven to be effective by the creator of SuperMemo in the late 1980s!

6. The DataBase of Anki is yours! I mean,you can have full access to the DB of Anki,which is so important(for me at least)! You can open the DB in a DB editing software and do whatever you wish!

7. Anki is a very stable software. I’ve been using it since 2015 and I’ve hardly ever seen it crashing or corrupting my DB!

8. Anki gives me the ability to customize the scheduling system,select Decks/Cards or even overwrite its own algorithm(with programming)!

9. It has got many great plugins developed by others for free!

I have not used Anki much, but I prefer Memrise, which incorporates audio pronunciation, along with image-based pneumonics that really made the memorization of foreign language vocabulary easier for me.