How to remember all your memory palaces and recall all of them?

Hello everyone! I’m texting you all from Buenos Aires, Argentina

I have been reading about the Art of Memory since a while, but right now I’m in the middle of a problem that apparently I’m struggling to solve using old posts and books

I’m preparing for some college tests and I have 2 months to prepare for 6 of them, and they are quite hard. I’m thinking about using all my memory palaces in order to memorize some summaries and short quotes from my textbooks

The problem I’m facing right now is that I can’t really hold all my memory palaces together, meaning that whenever I memorize something I have to put a lot of effort into remembering which memory palace I have taken and fulfilled, and it takes quite sometime to do so. It’s like I’m memorizing lots of different kind of topics in very different pathways so I struggle at recalling those memory palaces and remebering the paths.

How do you all handle all your memory palaces? I have made my own list of places, but I can’t remember them all without using a cheatsheet and that’s not good at all because I need to remember all the memory palaces and all the information at my own will for tests, so no cheasheet will be available.

I appreciate your answers and I will also appreciate your thoughts about how you use your memory palaces and how you recall them at will (not the information, but the memory palace itself where it’s all contained)

Extra information: I always use separated places (in-door places) instead of journeys because I suck at remembering journeys, like streets or highways for example

2 Likes

I use an additional memory palace, where I put the images of the first location of the other memory palaces. This way I create a link to all of them (actually, I only do it for some subjects, but it would be quite easy to have the same for all palaces). I write them down too, though. Just in case.

4 Likes

Usually I just write them down along with the creation date so if for whatever reason I dont go into a palace for a while I can see it on the list and review it so I never lose anything

2 Likes

I have a memory palace in which all my other palaces are nested. So then I go to that palace and it links to the others. I’m confident I will never lose a palace because they are all linked that that first one. I don’t need to think of what they relate to in advance. I just go to the main palace and then have the option of visiting those nested palaces. When I visit them, I’m reminded of what they are. Hope that helps!! Good luck on your exams.

3 Likes

@Carollyn And how do you create your locus for all your locis you store all your palaces? You just remember a key meaning for the places or do you remember the place itself as a locus?

@SilvioB But how do you keep everything together by using that method? There are way too many palaces to just store them in an additional memory palace, since I sometimes use in-door rooms (6 to 10 locus per loci) as single locis instead of a full house or mansion

You can use “story” method for linking multiple memory palaces…

For example,say,you have set your grandmother’s home as a Mamory Palace for science related topics. In that case,you can visualize your ‘grandmother’ as a scientist doing some funny/weird/strange scientific research. So,everytime you think about science,your grandmother’s home used as a Memory Palace for science topics will appear in your mind…

You can then create more stories on other Memory Palaces. A scientist(Grandmother’s home for science) is doing something and Mother Teresa(Mother’s room as a Memory Palace on a topic) is interacting with the scientist…This type of ‘link method’ will create long lasting link for recalling a lot of different Memory Palaces on different topics…You just have to be a little bit creative and make memorable stories;and this is the hard part… :smile:

Another method is,you can just take any Alphabet or Number pegs and use those pegs to link your Memory System. For example,if 1 is ‘stick’ in your “Number Shape” system,then,create link between ‘stick’ and science Memory Palace. So,whenever you think of “stick”(Number 1),that science Memory Palace will appear in your mind…

Point is,it is all about creating ‘links’. You don’t have to have ‘memory palace’ only to create links. There are other methods,too. You can even use ‘songs/rhymes’ to create links among your memory palaces. Use whatever you feel comfortable with,whatever works great for you…

All the thing depends on you thoughts, if you think much and not doing anything so this is bad for you.

1 Like

@Ehf

So you mean you have different topics in the same house for example?
What topics do you memorize? How do you structure the information?

I always dedicate a certain palace to a topic. So I only have to have an image that represents the topic and is placed at the start of the palace. This way I can use that same image, and put it in my “index-palace” which then refers me to the palace where the information is stored.

Here’s a simple example:

Palace 1: school building / topic: mathematics / image: math teacher
Palace 2: subway station / topic: english language / image: tea
Palace 3: shopping center / topic: law / image: judge
Palace 4: coffee shop / topic: french language / image: eiffel tower
Palace 5: an office / topic: accounting / image: accounting teacher

Palace 99: a friends’ house / topic: economics / image: stock market screen

The image I wrote down, is just the one that reminds me of that topic and is placed at the first location of the palace where the information is stored. The actual information is then added to the other locations in that palace (so in the 2nd location for palace 1 there could be a math formula for example / in the palaces with languages, there could be vocabulary etc.).

So the “index-palace” could look like this:
Location 1: accounting teacher
Location 2: stock market screen
Location 3: judge
Location 4: tea
Location 5: eiffel tower
Location 6: math teacher

When I go through the index-palace, I just have to ask myself: Where else do I find this image? This leads me to the palace where the actual information is stored.

As you can see, I structured the images in the index-palace a little bit, so I have the topics that are in some way related, closer together in the index-palace.

I think I’ll have to add: I always review all my palaces with spaced repetition, regardless if I put that palace in the index-palace or not. This sometimes makes the index-palace obsolete, since the “topic-image” itself directs me to the correct palace immediately.

1 Like

Hi Ehf.
When I want to create a new memory palace, I go to my main palace and choose an object to link to it. For example, I imagined a bird on a chair in my main palace. The chair was already a location I had used. I placed the bird there to tell me “Go to the beach house”. So when I’m going through my memory palace and come to the bird on the chair, I’m off to the beach house, which has 100 other loci.
I’ve also imagined a painting was there. I had created a locus at the sofa. I wanted to create a “nested” memory palace of a painting. So I imagined a painting actually left on the sofa, not mounted on the wall. When I get to the sofa, I think of the painting and that has many loci, which I then explore.
The key is to make an association which is memorable for you.

Having a memory palace based on an object in the main palace keeps you in that main palace. If you think of it as a diversion, do you want to be diverted and led off, away from the main palace? Or do you want to continue to be aware of the main palace?
Maybe it depends on the context/ what you’re using it for.
I hope that helps.

In one instance, I had a small Chinese vase as an actual object in my memory palace. I decided I wanted to create a “nested” memory palace. I replaced the Chinese vase with a large Chinese plate with a complex set of images. Now when I get to that place in the room, I see the plate and go through its loci. It was easy to substitute and the plate is more complex, making it easy to create many loci on it.

Does that make sense? I hope that helps!

1 Like

I may be overlooking a detail here, but…

Is this within your memory palace that collects your memory palaces? If so, the choice of the bird to connect you with the beach-house memory palace—especially if it’s a a seabird—is great. That is a very clear relationship. So I’m curious: If the chair also references another memory palace, what’s the connection there, what kind of a memory palace is the chair taking you to?

On the other hand, if the chair and bird are in a memory palace being used for information (and not other MPs), is there anything within the image that tells you, “Oh, the chair is associated with information, but the bird is associated with another memory palace”? Because clearly, it isn’t always a bird that leads you to another memory palace.

Bob

Not sure what kind of information you deal with but here is one approach to solving your problem.

First, you don’t need a hundred journeys or at least not until you get really grounded in the system.

Second, use the journeys you already have stored in your mind that you have known since childhood to keep them order.

You know the alphabet without any difficulty at all in recalling the order.

So; select your journeys on the basis of the alphabet.

A = the Acropolis mall

B = the beginning/entrance to the carnival you looked forward to when you were a kid.

C = the challenger space launch that blew up

and so on through the alphabet.

Remember that it is your naming system. You can call anything by any name that you want as long as it reminds you of the location. I can call it the Acropolis mall because there is a travel agency in the mall with a spectacular picture of the Acropolis on display every time I pass by it.

Ok; so now I have my journeys in order. The next step is connecting my journey to the subject matter. Next, pick an image of someone or something that connects to the subject matter being memorized. Again, it only has to make sense to me not anyone else. The Acropolis mall is swarming with thousands of army ants which is related to significant battles in history or demographic trends or epidemics or traffic management. It doesn’t make any difference to me if someone else does not see a connection between army ants and remembering the Python code used by a specific traffic light coordination sequence that I have to remember.

So I have decided to use the Edison theater for A because I never go to it because it is on first Avenue and there is no parking anywhere on first Avenue. Since I never go to it, what is important about the theater for me is that it is on first Avenue. It is a simple journey because I am unfamiliar with it so it doesn’t have a lot of memory clutter to distract me.

Even if I have never been to it once, I can get a picture of it showing the outside. It will have a set of standard features that I can label anything I want. It will have what I call four walls, a bottom and a top. It will have something I call a ticket booth and something I call an entrance and an exit. Four walls, floor and ceiling/roof plus ticket booth and two doors. Kim Kardashian sitting inside the ticket booth gives me ten stations.

I attach a journey to each station. To keep the journey in order I use a journey sequence I can’t possibly forget. One through ten. Archimedes jumps out of his bathtub screaming Eureka and runs naked with a machete through a a one through ten crowd of famous scientists associated with astronomy in some way. He confronts each of them and engages in a deadly argument. They sing formulae, facts, observations at each other until Archimedes kills them in frustration. Repeat the one through ten in different languages. The key is to keep it consistent. I use English, French, German, Russian and Lithuanian because that is the order that I learnt them in.

Now that is a possible ten stations with ten journeys attached, each one of which is repeated in four languages. That is four hundred locations for the letter A. That is thousands of locations for one alphabetized journey. Construct a different alphabetized journey for each topic.

Some people have difficulty with journeys because the journeys are too elaborate with lots of stations with details that must be faithfully remembered.

Check out Professor Metivier. He has a free magnetic memory introductory course of four lessons by email. For a few dollars you can buy his book if you like the approach. If you like his book you can take his detailed course for another few dollars. If you seriously get into it you can take his master class for quite a few dollars. His free email/youtube postings on an almost daily basis constitute an advanced course in mnemonics by themselves.

2 Likes

Hi, Bob. Thank you for responding. Maybe I’m making this sound more complicated than it is. The chair is a locus in the memory palace. The bird is an image which I associate with that locus. When I think of the bird, I am reminded of another memory palace. It’s not a seabird but a swallow and there are a lot of swallows around the memory palace it brings to mind.
The memory palace where the chair sits links to other memory palaces but it also has loci that are linked only to simple images. As long as the associations are sufficiently strong, I find there’s no harm in mixing these.
I suppose I could say “I see the chair. I see the bird (the swallow) on the chair. The swallow is the image that reminds me of the other memory palace.” The other memory palace is also a sort of information, after all…
Something can remind me of one other thing. That other thing can be a door that opens into another memory palace.
Does that make more sense now?

Have fun!

1 Like

Hi, Carollyn. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I understand your method and find it far superior to my own!

I am currently organizing my memory palaces into a larger palace built to hold them (Gavino’s Massive Memory Palace System) and I love this method for helping me remember the order as well as for revisiting my palaces to keep them fresh. However, I find quite frequently a need to alternate between loci or switch from one loci to the next and I primarily struggle with the transfer, and object association with a memory palace coupled with the view that a memory palace is simply a piece of data solves half a dozen of problems I have run into with my conceptualization.

Yay! That’s terrific, Stunted! I’m so glad to hear it!

One thing I’ve thought of - and I wonder if this might help you -
is if you have a memory palace where you’ve placed a link to another memory palace, when you come to the end, the last locus in that other memory palace, you might want to have a link that takes you back to your original memory palace so you can continue your journey without having to backtrack.

Example: if I’m in my memory palace and come to the chair where the bird (the swallow) is, I’m off to the beach house memory palace. When I get to the last locus in the beach house, that could be the swallow reminding me to fly back to the original memory palace. Then I’d be back at the chair where I started and could continue from there.
I’m finding so many opportunities for creating loci that there really is no shortage of them, so I’m not concerned that I’m being wasteful or anything like that, if I dedicate some of them to these sorts of links.
Hope that helps.
Have fun!

I am currently working on a persuasive argument that requires me to delve into another sub-topic to explain it before continuing on with the body of my argument, so I am doing exactly that! I’m glad I understood your method fully :smiley:

I will say that I struggle with building palaces and with the amount of information I am committing to memory I do find that I’m consistently short on space, but it’s too invaluable of a system to not implement. I’ll simply have to work harder to create journeys/palaces to make up for any lost space!

Hi, Stunted. That sounds great! It sounds like you’re having fun too. :slight_smile:
I’m surprised you are consistently short on space. How do you generate loci?
I find that I can generate a lot more loci than I at first may expect.
For example, I may think a certain object would be really easy to remember as the fifth locus because it starts with L or has a 5 in its name or starts with F. But maybe it seems to be too close to the first locus in the room. Usually when that happens I can easily find three other locations between the first and fifth. Do you have 10 loci per room? Do you go clockwise and from ceiling to floor?
Good luck remembering!

I use to use Architectural Digest magazines when I’m running out of palaces, like I’m now
Maybe that’s why I’m struggling that hard

Thank you all for your replies! It was really helpful!

1 Like