How to memorize textbooks or heavily information dense material.- Update

So the technique I was thinking about using works, for now anyway.
For a textbook, you only seem to need about 182 loci max.
Again this depends on what you know and how much you already know.
If you already know something, naturally you don’t have to put something into the memory palace.

So the textbook I am practicing with is a Biostatistics books.

The process is this:
Each room inside my house is a subsection of a chapter.
So 1.1,1.2,1.3…3.1,3.2…
Each of the loci in the room are the things that you want to remember about the chapter.
As you go through each paragraph, try to sum up everything into one sentence.
If there is too much information, you can do four loci per paragraph.
But you should find that each subsection should have at most 50~70 loci depending on what you are working with.

For mean, I read the title of each subsection and then I let my mind choose a different location.
So when I open the first door, for example, I go to harry potters bedroom under the stairs.
The next room is a play ground.

Then I choose the loci in each of the place.
Just use the first thing that comes to mind, so everything has fluidity.

For each thing that you want to know, make a loci and don’t think, just let your mind make it.

At most, a textbook should need about 182 rooms.

It sounds like a lot, but I just finished about 8 or so rooms, and it only took about 2 hours for memorizing an entire book.
So that is 1/10 of the time spent studying it.

Thanks for the update. I’ve linked to your posts about it from the how to memorize a textbook wiki page.

Thank you very much.
I hope it helps.
I was having a very hard time trying to find information online about it, so I made it myself.
How does it sound to you?

It sounds great. Could you post a short example of some of the facts and images you’re placing in the memory palace?

For example, in the book that I have we will use chapter 1 subsection 1.1.

My process, first I read the subsection to get a general understanding of it.
Then I go paragraph by paragraph and extract the important information (or usually something that I don’t know).
Each paragraph then becomes a loci.
If there is more than one thing needed per paragraph, that can also be made into a loci, but most paragraphs should have at least four and at most twenty.

Now, after I pinpoint the important information I then go to my memory palace.
I modeled it after (with some adjustments, for reasons that will be clear soon): http://romeonsegway.com/10-facts-about-the-pantheon/

Within this building, there is 2,096 rooms.
My goal is, to make every room into a palace of their own.
With each room, I read the title of the subsection and allow my mind to create it’s own mind palace.
I think choose the loci in that mind palace, based on the needs.
So if I find 20 important things in that one subsection, I will make as many loci.
My last mind palace, that was singular, was my house and it held 500 so I didn’t imagine this to be difficult.
From there, I used images that made connections to what I wanted to learn.

So the main goal of biostatistics is to interpret, investigate, and impart.
So, my mind chose a playground.
So I made the I’s into monkey bars, and put justin timberlake swinging from one to another singing ‘‘I,I,I’’.
This is instead of bye bye bye.
This would be in the subsection 1.2, around paragraph 3.

How you approach it, is entirely up to you.
Sometimes, when a subsection doesn’t have enough information, I meld them together.
1.4 and 1.5 have the same room because there was only really one important note in 1.5.

Doing some current projections, it would take 182 rooms doing this system, but each of the information would be precise.

You could just as easily do the same with one memory palace, but I intend to put seven books in there.

It only takes about two hours per chapter, and if it is especially information dense you can take more time.

Again, everything is about fluidity.
I let my mind choose the palace in each room and the loci.
I let my mind make the images.

Example:

I wanted to remember the formula: x+2k=y
This is the formula for systematic random sampling.
The X is the random number that is acquired when you randomly put your pencil down on the paper.
I remember this because I have Kite’s nen ability (this is from Hunter X Hunter, he has a power that chooses randomly and you get a random weapon), that then summons a pencil.
The K is the number you input when you take the number of samples that you have over the number of samples that you want.
The Y gives you the new number.

Now, to remember this:
I have a deli worker screaming "K, so we have this much meat and you want this much meat’’
(the palace is a grocery), and then he holds the first over the second.
After you finish buying, he just says ‘‘add eXtra’’.
Everything was just used from my memory fluidly because I let my brain do it’s work.

For chance factors, I have the rapper chance on a swing wearing an x factor shirt.
(this memory palace was playground).

I am also pairing it with Anki, making questions that really test if I know the information without it giving me any hints.
Also, with the loci I placed it on, that let’s me also remember the new loci I added.

If there are any more questions, please let me know and I will answer as quickly as possible.

Thanks, very interesting. I’m always curious about how people are using memory techniques to memorize technical information on large scales. :slight_smile:

No problem, glad to contribute.
Hopefully this helps people trying to get good grades.