How to demonstrate numbers in a grid/digits in pi (order)?

Hi guys. I have seem some people demonstrating a grid like pattern where they will create 10 by 10 grid and ask the audience to tell them random numbers (10p numbers since its a 10 by 10 grid). Then they tell what number is at what place for ex. What is the 22nd number or 56th number and so on. I have created pegs for number system ( for ex. 00 (S,S)for me is Silver Surfer).
I have also read about this memory record holder who memorised digits of pie. I thought he did it by link method, example linking two digits at a time. But he could also tell what digit was at 2901st place.
I wanna ask how do they do these two demonstration. I guess these two are similar in structure since the person is memorising the number as well as on what place is the number at. I tried creating pegs (using rhyme and shale method) then linking the pegs with the numbers the audience will give me. Is there a better way? I have read some people use the memory place or the journey method. Someone told me they used body method. I would really appreciate if someone could help me. Thanks :slight_smile:

Regards,
Braham

2 Likes

I’ve done something like that but my grid is 10x40. You might be able to adapt some of these ideas for a 10x10 grid.

The three techniques I used for it are:

My grid is organized into 10 separate 10-location memory journeys, each indexed with a number shape image.

1.  n.nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
2.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
3.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
4.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
5.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
6.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
7.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
8.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
9.  nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
10. nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

My number shape images are:

1. candle
  2. swan
  3. butterfly
  4. flag
  5. hook
  6. elephant
  7. boomerang
  8. snowman
  9. balloon on a string
  10. (I don’t need an image here – it’s the last journey)

So the first memory journey is marked by a candle, the second one by a swan, the 3rd one by a butterfly, etc.

Here’s an example of how I would find the 91st digit of pi:

1. Calculate the row: I divide by 40 to find which row the digit is on. 91/40 = 2 with a remainder of 11. That means it’s somewhere a little past the 2nd row. I can find the 3rd row by seeing which of the 10 memory journeys has a butterfly in front of it. (“Butterfly” is my number shape image for 3.)
  2. Calculate the location: I put four digits per location. The remainder from the last step was 11, so 11/4 = 2 locations with a remainder of 3. That means that the requested digit is the 3rd digit in the 3rd location of the 3rd memory palace, except that it needs the following adjustment.
  3. Adjust by 1: I have to make an adjustment, because to get the numbers to line up in columns with a monospaced font, I count the decimal point as taking up one digit spot. That requires shifting my digit position to the right by one. So instead of the 3rd digit in the location, I’ll use the 4th one.

That tells me that the image is the last digit of the 3rd location on the 3rd row.

To find the 3rd location, I look for the 3rd number shape image. It’s a butterfly that is hovering around a house in Berkeley (my 3rd memory journey out of the 10). I move to the 3rd position and look for the last digit in that location.

nnnn nnnn 4825 nnnn nnnn nnnn nnnn nnnn nnnn nnnn

The last digit in that location is a 5, so the answer is 5.

The way I did it also makes things line up with WolframAlpha, so people can type “91st digit of pi” into WolframAlpha on their phones to see if my answers are correct.

There’s a practice page here:

1 Like

Omg thanks a ton Josh. So what I understand from this, is that you have pegged (linked) the start of your journey of a particular memory palace with the shape method. Then i guess you have 2 items in one location (example first room) since you have a two digit number system because you can link two items with two digits each, hence four digits in one location. But i have a question.
Lets take your example where we are in the 3rd memory journey. Have you also placed markers at the start of each number? I mean in your example the answer was the last digit of the 3rd set (nnnn). How do jump to a particular set (nnnn), do you have markers or pegs at the start, or with practice you can straight away jump to the 3rd room or location in the memory palace?

Regards,
Braham

I can walk through the locations quickly, because it’s only 10 locations per journey. For that one I would just walk to the third location starting from the beginning of the row.

One more question, sorry to bother you this much. Can you give me an example of how you do link your 2 digit POA with an object in any location.

I don’t use PAO but just have one image for each 2-digit number. Here are the images for the first four locations:

(My images might be a little strange, so I’ve linked to examples.)

The images are kept in order by arranging them from top-to-bottom or left-to-right. That’s why the boiling water is on top of the guitar.

The image pairs are placed in their locations and then I mentally walk through the locations to recall them.

If you have other questions, let me know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohhh I get it now. Thank you so much Josh. You have helped me a lot. You the best :slight_smile:

1 Like