How someone Type REALLY Fast (156 Words per Minute)

4 Likes

Good! My best is 140. Hopefully i will hit 156 one day

Interesting, I’ve been learning to touch type recently. Thanks, especially for the shortcut.
(tried to write this without looking, took me about two minutes but made very few mistakes. :grin:)

1 Like

It’s a nice words per minute score, no doubt about that. I’m not sure if I like all the resources he points to in the video though. I type in the triple digits myself, but that pretty-fingers webpage or whatever it’s called cut that in half because it just does the most common words in random order… usually you have word combinations in sentences that you type as one and not individual words.

Either way, do you think this skill is still very useful in this day and age? I reply to about half my emails by just speaking into my phone without typing. Longer written pieces I’d speak the first draft into my computer and then touch up the second draft by hand. Ultimately, much faster than just typing everything.

That is not to say that it’s not a nice skill to have if people can’t take a hint and stay in your office past their welcome. You can just type and still look at them and follow the discussion. Usually, the people who can’t tell that it’s time to go, don’t know how to touch type themselves, so they are kind of confused as to how you can do both.

1 Like

I think typing is still a useful skill. Some jobs require it and it’s better to learn now than later. I know one person who types with two fingers and ended up in a good tech job. He got by, but if he had interviewed in person and they had seen that, it might have lowered his chances of getting hired. He never thought he would be in tech, but life can take strange turns, and it’s good to be prepared.

There are situations where speech-to-text doesn’t work, like at a cafe, in an environment where people are sleeping nearby, or in an open office. I had that problem with speech-to-text when my hands got injured, especially while traveling.

1 Like