How I got sub 40s in 27 days

card-memorization

This is update for June 29, 2018

Update for June 26

This update for June 25

Update for June 24

Update for June 24

(Josh Cohen) #12

Great work. You might want to read through the long discussion here – there are various tips from people:

Thanks Josh, I’m gonna join to that too. But I’ll continue to update my speed here too.

This is update for July 3 2018

1st attempt.

2nd attempt

Updates for July 4, 2018 no errors

(Josh Cohen) #15

Nice work! If you can get down below 42 seconds you’ll be matching the times of the top 100 competition scores. Have you tried memorizing cards on Memory League yet?

Thanks Josh! I’m gonna have to try that too if I can get in under 40s cuz I’m not very good in digital.

How do I change my username? I want to change it so other people can read mine.

(Josh Cohen) #18

Send me a message with your new username (or email [email protected]), and I’ll update it for you.

This is my first attempt for today with 2 errors. As I tell you Josh I’m not very good in Digital. It’s an android app

2nd attempt but in real cards now. No errors

3rd attempt real cards no errors

4th attempt with 2 errors. I switch 2 card because I’m trying to go as fast as I can and it put a little psychological effect. I see an image 2 times for assuming that the 2♥ is 2♦ because of the color. It’s both red.

5th attempt with no errors but unfortunately unlike the rest I miss 1 image. But I figured ut out where it should belong since thats the only image with no pair yet.

6th attempt with 6 errors. I totally forgot the images and tried to figure it out but I got nothing.

Note to myself: Eat before memorizing

Actually I made 7 attempts but I miss one card and didnt see because it stack under a card. I just realise that there are only 3 cards on the last part that should be 4 so I didnt count it. It should be at least under 1min. It would be a break for my 1 min barrier, what a pity I didnt make it.

I made an unusual practice for today, I normally practice 2-3 cards a day but there is something that made me want to do this.

This is the update for July 5, 2018.

Josh your site has a bug. I posted it July 5 but it says July 4. Also it just vanished withouth any reason.

I just FIXED it @Josh Cohen I think the reason why this website can’t post this comment is bcuz of the EMOTICON that I put here.

1st attempt I just broke to 1 min barrier. No error.

2nd attempt no error.

3rd attempt I don’t know how the heck that happen. 2nd & 3rd are exactly the same speed. no error

4th attempt, I dont know why I’m always getting error in this memory palace. I gotta fix it ASAP. 9 errors.

5th attempt. I just broke the record again. No error

6th attempt nothing special no error.

7th attempt. no error

Update for July 6, 2018

I’m doing 7 deck of cards everyday. Also I think the music distraction help me improve cuz my mom loves music, she’s always listening to it when sleeping in the afternoon and I think I subconsciously learn to ignore that distraction. It’s been 15 days now since I started again and I can say my improvement is fast(?) or above average base on the thread that I read here. I already know mnemonics before but didnt pursue it I was doing it for a week, not doing cards but numbers at least once a day but didnt mastered it. I’m not memory expert nor a card expert but I think the most essential to do and have is Practice, patient and ALWAYS set goals and do your 110% every trials you attempt.

When I hit the consistent speed of 1:10secs I feel like my progress has slowed down(?)

8th attempt: I just broke my PB again.
BMP file is not allowed so I copy it to my phone then post it in here.

Update for July 6 2018. Can’t wait to make it under 40secs @Josh Cohen.

(Josh Cohen) #24

You can fix that by going into your user settings and changing the timezone field to your local timezone. It will show California time by default, so if you’re on the other side of the International Date Line, the dates will show the previous day.

Sorry, UTF emojis aren’t supported yet, but they will work after the coming upgrade. The core of this site was built around 2009 (before emojis were popular) and there are some bugs. We’re overhauling the site at the moment, which will eliminate those bugs once the updates are live.

Update: emojis should work now.

BMP images tend to be too large for the server. If you ever need to convert images from one format to another, you can use a free program called GIMP. Open an image file in GIMP, press ctrl-shift-e (or file –> export) and save it with a .jpg, .png, or .gif extension to automatically change the format. In general, if the image has sharp edges (like text) .png or .gif produce better quality images – otherwise If it’s a regular photo, .jpg is ideal (you can set it to 75-80% quality when exporting to keep the file size small).

(Simon Luisi) #25

I liked reading your tip #1 about just looking at the cards quickly. I think I will try that. I also like your suggestion of doing 7 decks although I may not try it. Thanks for sharing. You are awesome.

(Simon Luisi) #26

If I may offer a tip here it would be to mind your rate of correct card per second. Find what your average best rate of correct card per second is, and then go faster to see if that rate can hold at higher speeds. Try and find the speed at which your correct card per second rate crashes, and then focus on training at that speed. I’m not 100% sure that it is good advice but it is the best I have to offer right now. My best average cc/s is about 0.420 but when I hit 68 second a deck as average time, that rate is down to about 0.370, so I think I’m not going to try and go any faster over next month. I hate to have over 50% of the deck wrong.