History

Hi everyone!
What is the efficient way to memorize historical dates long term storage?
I’m confused, should I put the dates in one building or should I link these dates with my lessons?
I have chosen the Australian war memorial like a memory palace.However,I don’t really know how to decomposite it into rooms because of its largeness.
What to do you think?

Are you familiar with the memory palace method?

Do you know GMMPS?

Emotions, action and vivid images are key.

I’m not familiar with the War Memorial, but I think you might be best served by a true journey and not a single building, unless there are enough distinctive rooms in the memorial to be effective. (If they’re all just big rooms shaped the same, it may be challenging to remember what is stored where.)

I think it will help you prepare an appropriate memory palace/journey if you know what span of time you’ll be covering and just how much space you may need.

I’d encourage you to check out some of the many substantive posts from Dr. Lynne Kelly, who has created a very detailed historical memory journey for herself. (She also has a new book coming our next month that details her approaches.)

Bob

1 Like

Thank you

I want ask you how should I create
An association,in other words,how can I create this exaggerated story what are the steps I have to follow to make a strong story.Please,give me some example.

With a journey/memory palace, you’ll likely find you don’t need a “story.” That’s one of the great benefits of the journey method/memory palace; linking the information you’re memorizing with a specific location makes it memorable enough.

What you almost certainly will need, though, are highly imaginative images that help to make your information memorable. But you don’t have to go into detail; you just need enough to trigger the information.

For example, I’m memorizing the countries of the world, in population order, and I’m using my college as the memory palace. At one point, I’m picturing three men seated outside the Administration Building: One is holding a tuning fork against his knee, one is hand-rolling cigars, and one is making chocolate. That’s all the “story” I need in that scene to know that these countries are Tunisia, Cuba, and Belgium. You’ll see, though, that there’s nothing connecting Tunisia with Cuba or Belgium.

It’s the same with my memory palace where I store all of the Academy Award Best Picture winners. Every winner occupies a specific space in my palace, but they don’t interact or connect in any way. And for these, because I know many of these movies very well, I don’t associate them with anything outlandish or highly memorable. For “Gentleman’s Agreement,” I just picture actor Gregory Peck. For “The King’s Speech,” I literally picture a pen and a piece of paper.

I do occasionally have small interactions between some of the images I’m using to memorize the US States and the dates they joined the Union. But I don’t necessarily recommend that approach, since it makes it a bit challenging to recall information randomly; you get used to recalling things in sequence because of the story…

I believe a story is most useful when you’re working with a generic or imagined memory palace—or even no memory palace at all—and you want to tie information together in a specific order. Maybe it’s chronological. Or maybe it’s logical (as in a speech). That kind of thing. Ed Cooke offers a great and highly memorable story that ties together all of the US Presidents in his book, “Remember, Remember.” (He does the same thing for Shakespeare’s plays and the kings/queens of England.) He also offers some helpful suggestions for making memorization easier. For instance, every president named Andrew is imagined as “Handrew,” a man with giant hands. So Andrew Jackson becomes Handrew Jackson, a man with large hands doing the moonwalk (like Michael Jackson). Also, every James is imagined as a man with some kind of gun (a la James Bond). James Monroe looks like Marilyn Monroe, wielding a gun. James Buchanan has an actual cannon.

Bob

Thank you Bob