Help me decide on a loci strategy for multiple pieces of information

I posted before on my plan to memorize Academy Award winners. I’d like to memorize the important 4 category winners for each year. My plan is to have each loci in my memory palace be one year. Then I can have 4 items at each location. Or maybe person-action, or something like that. Not sure yet.

But I started thinking about something. I could make my 4 images for each year and remember the group at each loci. Or I could start with one category, say, Best Picture. Come up with one image for each year and put them in my memory palace. Then once I’ve gotten them fixed, I could go back and add one image to each place for Best Director. After that’s set in my mind, go back and add Best Actor, the Best Actress.

Would that be more efficient? So far in my memory palaces (I’m still relatively new), I tend to only change them if I think of a better image for some reason. But, for example, I have one for the Kings and Queens of England. I used my Dominic system to give each one an action so I would know when they attained the throne. I memorized that one a couple of months ago. But if I wanted to add something like their spouses, I think I could easily do that.

One of the benefits of memory palace over something like a mnemonic or a song is that it can be adjusted, right? I was reading @LynneKelly 's book where she said that she had memorized some history timelines. And she commented that if she found some new dates she wanted to remember, she just inserted them in. So I’m thinking that might work.

Do you think it’s better to try to create my memory palace using as much information as I currently want to remember, or to take it in steps?

1 Like

I constantly add to locations building up an ever more complex image at the single loci. But I do this at real physical locations. Recent (ongoing) research is identifying the use of physical locations over imagined ones as enabling much more complexity.

Indigenous cultures do this all the time, with higher and higher levels of initiation, they learn more information about each site.

If you are at a physical location, you can always find a new detail that matches what you want to add - using vivid imagination, of course! One of the locations in Chinese vocab/characters palace now has about 50 words in it and will have a lot more. Some are now so familiar that I don’t need the palace to remember them.

In all my permanent palaces (except for Pi), I add new information to whatever location is the appropriate one. Once the palace is in place, I am not sure there is a limit to how much related stuff you can shove in there.

In my main palace I have five different sets of data, and I wouldn’t go higher than that. However, of those data sets, only one (Countries) is likely to get more stuff added.

When I decided to do Chinese, I established a new palace just for the language and set the 214 locations (for the character radicals) out over 5 km! Each house is only one radical, but that goes me so much detail in each location to add stacks of words and characters and it is working so well. I never thought that I could tackle Chinese, and I couldn’t be doing it without the palace. And I get exercise visiting it to add new data.

That was a very long way of saying: go for it!

Lynne

2 Likes

@LynneKelly, thanks so much for responding. I really liked your book.

My Academy Award memory palace is a real place, but it’s not one I go to with any regularity. It’s the local cineplex. I think I’ll try this anyway, though. My images overall are a little tricky because there are names like Leo McCarey and Paul Muni that I don’t know. So I need a combination image for them.

So I’ll start with just the Best Picture award. But leave plenty of space around each spot for future expansion.

Puns are really useful. When it is a name I can’t get a link for, I say it over and over with different emphasis and eventually I always find a pun. I hope that helps.

Please tag me in any update!