Having some difficulties remember a peg list

Hey!

So I’m trying to remember 100 peg list using the alpha numerical code of memory (Or Major Method).

Problem is… It’s getting harder and harder to find logical associations, for example:

-For 2: I use hoNey (I can imagine a couple of 2 people calling each other hoNey)

-For 7: I use hooK (Visual association, the hooK that I imagine has a very similar shape to the number 7).

But what am I suppose to imagine for 52 (Which is LioN)? Can’t really think of anything.

Also… when remembering mathematical formulas, what do you use to visualize symbols like (+ - * / etc…)?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I hope I’m understanding your question. The major system provides the clues. If you see “52”, the first step is to convert the digits into the consonant sounds: “L” and “N”. Then try to think of the word that has L and N as the first two consonants. With a bit of review, it should lead you to the image of the LioN.

Then go to the next number, 53. The sounds are “L” and “M”. That might lead you to the word LeMon. So you can picture a lemon.

Then go to 54. The sounds are “L” and “R”. Maybe the image is LaRd, a fishing LuRe, or someone name LauRa. You can pick any image that fits and is memorable.

Keep reviewing the numbers from 0-9 and 00-99 making notes of the ones that you miss. You can practice those more often and/or change the images to make them more memorable.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you might also be interested in this post: How do I memorize a mnemonic number or card system?

You can pick images based on the shape. A + sign might be a cross or a telephone pole. A - could be a plank of wood, stick, dart, arrow, or pencil. * could be a star in the sky, a star sticker, a caltrop, naval mine, shuriken, or anything with that general shape that comes to mind.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Thing is, I already try to guess the word using the corresponding consonants sounds, but it takes too much time, and sometimes I can’t even recall the name. I don’t have these problems with the loci and chain linking methods.

And what if I use multiple Major System lists as pegs, one would be LioN and the other LooNey, by trying to guess the word using the consonants, I might confuse them.

I thought about creating 10 memory palaces, each one having 9 locations.
I’ll use the first to remember from 1 to 9, the second from 10 to 19 and so on.
And I’d use chain linking, for example 10 is DiCe, 11 is TuTu, 12 is TuNa and so on…
So I’d imagine myself in a casino throwing dices, and instead of the usual roulette, a doll with a tutu is spinning, and instead of money they give tuna.

I think that way it will be easier to remember and I won’t confuse them, since they are linked. What do you think?

I’ll try it right before sleeping.

1 Like

How long have you been practicing? It might take a few weeks of daily practice before the associations become instinctive.

It could be useful to have two lists, but it might be easier to learn one peg list well first before adding a second one.

If I’m not misunderstanding, you might want 10 locations, or you won’t have locations for 00, 10, 20, 30, etc.