Happy New Year: What Are your Goals for 2019?

(Josh Cohen) #1

Happy New Year! :fireworks:

What are your goals for the new year? They don’t all have to be memory-related. Are there any books you want to read? Food and exercise? Reduce social media use? You can use the post to try to stay accountable. :slight_smile:

Here is some inspiration:

I have a memory-based goal. I want to be proficient with the Gary Lanier system to the point of it being virtually effortless. I want to be able to recall any information that I want verbatim, and be able to study in my head. I want to make college professors look like clowns, but more than that, I want to recall scripture to be able to meditate on the Lord’s word day and night.

And I will do so. :slight_smile:

Hi everybody
Happy new year to all
This year my goal is to make my memory photographic as possible as i can and use it for my research to control and hack the dna to any level

(Silvio B.) #4

Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

I’ll go to university in autumn of 2019, so my goal is to memorize some useful laws in advance (with spaced repetition for long term use) in order to find things more quickly in a specific law and make connections among the different laws/constitution/jurisdiction. I hope this will give me confidence in my exams and prevent me from getting too nervous.

(Silvio B.) #5

I hope you don’t mean that in the same way as they do it in the movie “The 6th Day”? :joy:

:joy: no i have a different purpose

(ant) #7

I second this notion for the new year. 2019!

(Simon Luisi) #8

I plan to run for and hopefully win a seat in the Canadian Parliament this year with the Animal Protection Party of Canada.

Memory wise, I hope to do even better than last year and since 2018 was a very good year (with a 15 to 30 % gain in speed increase,) this goal here will be quite challenging.

I also plan to help the Canadian Memory Championships do many new and exciting things this year, and to lead the way in memory sports in general.

Holy guacamole, Sahil! That is… wow. Hacking DNA? I’m guessing you know how much science you need to know? That’s a LOT! :exploding_head:
But I believe in you, @Sahil. Feel free to let me know when you’ve made good progress! :grin:

Thanks for ur support but i have only one goal as i have chrons disease my only hope is to find a cure and live a normal life but thankx for ur support and answers &i am reading as much as possible to know every spectrum for my research jst i needed a more imaginative thinking to evaluate certain points and memorize as much possible as can. :hugs:

(Nicholas Mihaila) #11

Good idea for a thread!

My goals for 2019 include getting to sub 1 minute in cards, reaching 3,000 words in French and hopefully 3,000 words in Japanese too. It sounds funny, but school has been getting in the way of my studies to a ridiculous extent. After I graduate in 2020 is when the goals will get serious. In the meantime I just hope to make some progress, even if the pace is slow.

May I suggest using your memory techniques ON your school studies? I would be interested to see how well you would be able to do on the ACT or SAT having studied with a memory palace and other techniques.

(Nicholas Mihaila) #13

I’m in school for chemical engineering, and there actually isn’t much memorization involved compared to some other fields, like medicine for instance. The emphasis is much more on analysis and problem solving. There may be more opportunities to apply memory techniques once I’m in a master’s program, especially if it’s physics.

There are several goals I want to achieve in 2019, but I don’t like to reveal them in advance.

One of them is already accomplished: I can do Memory League images in less than 30 seconds on average again :grinning:

Why in the world are you so secretive about things? I wanna know about that technique you mentioned, darn it! :laughing:

My goals are pretty… numerous, I guess. One thing that makes my memory “situation” special is I suffered a traumatic brain injury in 2013 and so I have serious neurological challenges when it comes to making new memories/my short-term memory is…“not good”, I guess would be one way to put it. But I’ve basically spent an insane amount of hours practicing memory techniques, reading about memory and neuroscience, trying to modify my diet to be optimized for neural health, and excercising physically and doing yoga (physical activity and mental health are very intimately interwoven, we all should bear in mind).

I’ve recently mostly memorized the entirety of MLK Jr’s “I have a dream” speech, using multiple methods (listening to it one billion times, basically, so I can “hear it” in my mind), but also printing it out and dividing it into sections and recording myself reading it aloud, etc.

Also I just recently decided to start trying to use constellations kind of like memory palaces, or maybe more like a link or peg system, I guess, not exactly sure what the best way to describe it is. Basically having the stars in a constellation be loci.

Also, I’d like to memorize all the presidents of the US, in order, which I think shouldn’t take very long at all if I just jump into it…

One more thing that I’ve actually spent a ton of time on is creating a chessboard with mnemonic stations for all of the squares, using Harry Lorayne’s phonetic alphabet (although I’m not sure if he is the actual original creator); 1 =T/D, 2 = S, 3 = M, 4 = R, etc. Not sure how much everyone/anyone knows about chess, but obviously it’s an 8x8 grid, and I figured if I can attach the right images to each square on the board, that would be a pretty good memory platform.

That’s a secret too :smile:

R u planning for world domination:joy: @Finwing

(ant) #19

medicine takes forever but yeah one of the benefits is one can continually use it to work on memory techniques

Nice picture.

As a reinforcement to your secrecy and explanation to others I wanted to give an explanation. The classic motivational speech includes the emphasis for setting goals. This includes writing them down (so as not to forget) and committing to them (to maintain the motivation). It is important to recognize that goals will fall into one of (at least) two categories; Get-Up goals and Get-Out goals. This description is old fashioned but serves the need here. Get-Up goals are for adding to or increasing performance whether in physical or mental or other areas. Get-Out goals are goals to remove or eliminate behavior or habits, usually bad ones.

As a rule you should share your Get-Out goals with others. If others know I am quitting smoking they will be there to remind me if I should slip up or go back to old habits. Your Get-Up goals are best be kept secret for similar reasons. My friends are not as likely to encourage me to strive for my ambitious goals as they are to criticize me for failing in my behavior improvement goals. Friends can often talk down others goals. Knowing this allows you to plan what to share or keep secret. They might laugh at your goal of memorizing a deck in less than one minute. That’s discouraging. But if they laugh that you are smoking again that will reinforce your intended behavior.

It is not human nature that is the problem. It is how we understand and use our understanding that makes solutions possible.