Gut Bacteria May Affect Brain Function

Changing gut bacteria through diet affects brain function, UCLA study shows

During the resting brain scan, the women consuming probiotics showed greater connectivity between a key brainstem region known as the periaqueductal grey and cognition-associated areas of the prefrontal cortex. The women who ate no product at all, on the other hand, showed greater connectivity of the periaqueductal grey to emotion- and sensation-related regions, while the group consuming the non-probiotic dairy product showed results in between.

Full article: Changing gut bacteria through diet affects brain function, UCLA study shows

See also:
How the Gut’s “Second Brain” Influences Mood and Well-Being

Technically known as the enteric nervous system, the second brain consists of sheaths of neurons embedded in the walls of the long tube of our gut, or alimentary canal, which measures about nine meters end to end from the esophagus to the anus. The second brain contains some 100 million neurons, more than in either the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system, Gershon says.

True for me.

I have been diagnosed food intolerance for basically everything I eat. This is caused by my gut’s disability to produce various enzymes that normal gut would produce. This means that when I eat, the food isn’t digested completely and this half-digested food enters my blood stream. That kind of food acts as poison.

After each meal I can feel tiredness. It also effects my nervous system: it’s very hard to concentrate and my reaction times are very slow. I just don’t want to think or do anything, just sleep.

But taking probiotics (which I have previously planted in my homemade yoghurt, so they can muliply) before mealtimes makes these symptoms go away.

I just posted a related discussion about mind controlling bacteria.

My restricted diet was partially to test for food sensitivities. My health improved over the past few months, but it didn’t solve my main problems, so I’m expanding the range of foods now. I’m adding small amounts of yogurt and kefir with Lactobacillus rhamnosus and some other creatures. I have to carefully measure out a fixed daily amount, otherwise it is difficult to avoid snacking on it.

Have you ever tried making kefir? I’m buying it at the store, but I think it will be much cheaper to make it.