Hello everyone,I am from Mali, and my goal is to become the first Malian to officially participate in the Pi memorization rankings. I am currently training hard and I am happy to join this community to share my progress and get your advice!
That’s great, man! Do you already have a PAO system or are you still creating one? or maybe you’re using another mnemonic system?
Thank you! To answer your question, my method is actually unique and different from standard systems. I managed to memorize my first 100 digits in just one day using my own technique. I am still processing how my mind connects the numbers, but I am excited to share more as I progress!"
To help you understand better, these connections completely depend on how I look at the numbers in that specific moment. It is a purely visual or logical perception directly inside the digits, without translating them into words.For instance, I look at a block of 10 digits and split it in two. My eyes might catch a mathematical relationship (like a double or a sum), a visual symmetry (like inverted numbers), or a familiar sequence between the first 5 digits and the last 5 digits.Once my brain locks onto that specific perspective and registers the link, the sequence is permanently anchored. That is why it feels so light: I don’t memorize an image, I just memorize the “bridge” between the two halves of the number.
At first, when I was at 3.14, I looked into traditional methods—especially the ones where you create stories. But I felt that adding external information actually burdened my brain and slowed me down.That’s when I decided to learn the decimal places using a technique that doesn’t add any extra data. Here is how it works: I take a block of 10 digits and split it into two parts (5 and 5). Then, I look for a direct link, a pattern, or a logical connection that binds the first part to the second part. Once I find that specific link, it’s done—I just can’t forget it.It’s hard to describe, but I feel like the first 103 decimals I learned aren’t even “stored” in my head like active memories. Yet, as soon as I start reciting, it flows automatically, and I can’t stop until I reach the very last link I created!
So you’re really focusing on the connection between the blocks, rather than the actual sequence of digits in pi. I started doing something like that when I was 14, but I eventually reached some kind of limit (around 500), and for me, the recall was more mentally stressful than learning the PAO and Major Systems. I would just try to associate the numbers, find some kind of rhythmic association, or come up with complex/made-up sequences. But if it works for you, that’s great!
Thanks for your feedback! It’s really interesting to get your perspective and your experience, especially with the hindsight you have since you were 14.
I completely understand how this method of direct connections could become stressful or hit a wall at a certain point (like your limit around 500). It definitely requires a lot of mental gymnastics during recall. For now, this automatic ‘flow’ system is working well for me on my first blocks, but I’ll keep your advice in mind. If I feel like I’m hitting a wall or if it takes too much energy, I’ll definitely switch to more structured methods like the Major System or PAO.
Thanks again for sharing and for the encouragement!"
Hello Ousman! Excellent work with pi so far. I also like using mathematical properties and logical connections within numbers rather than forcing abstractions like PAO, which I’ve felt “damages” the numbers themselves.
However, at some point, you will run into the “sequence problem”: when you’ve collected enough pairs of 5 and 5 digits, you’ll have too many of them. Somehow you’ll have to organize them sequentially so you know exactly which 5-5 pair comes after the current 5-5 pair.
This could be doable using a strictly mathematical approach, e.g. you find some relationship between a 5-5 pair and the next 5-5 pair. You could probably pull it off. A more standard technique would see you use a memory palace, e.g. 14159 26535 can be put on the shelf, followed by 89793 23846 on the rug.