God of Memory, you would like to be? See below

So odd question, does anyone know how to spell keepo? I am just on that part of the book and would like to see one. Since it is Audible, i am unsure how to spell it.

Hi Bigdonnyv,

It is spelt khipu or quipu:

I am not sure if it is made obvious, but there is a pdf of the images - b/w images and coloured plates - on my website to download for audio versions of Memory Craft, although I think you are reading The Memory Code.

Khipu are fascinating devices!

Lynne

4 Likes

So sorry about the limited availability of the audiobook. The American publisher, Pegasus Books, owns the North American audio rights but has not yet released it in audio form. I have asked that the issue be resolved, but the publishers are still talking about it. I wish I could do more.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne. Turning it on now before bed.

Agreed! I’m a big fan of her work. There’s also “Memory Code”,also by Lynne Kelly.
You can also see some interesting videos on YouTube featuring Lynne and her work.
One of my favourites is when she’s walking a reporter around her local (Victoria,Australia) memory palace.When the reporter points out how large her walking area is,Lynne indicates a single stone and shows how to make a “memory palace” from a single rock.

4 Likes

Thank you for letting me know.

That’s intriguing. I forgot about doing that. Where is the link (she asks, feeling rather foolish)? I really appreciate the lovely comments.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,
I’ll try to track down the YouTube clip for you.
It was an interview you did with a local reporter,you were walking around your home area (Castlemaine from memory?)

Hi again,Lynne.
Found it.8mins 53 secs is the bit that intrigued me,where you reduced your memory palace to a single rock.

4 Likes

To draw her attention, you’ll want to remember to @ her. No way anybody’d be able to remember to double-check everything she’s participated in without getting that mention notification.

EDIT: I was wrong. Dayum

2 Likes

I wish I’d done my hair first!

That was a video taken for a course at Melbourne University. I didn’t know it was readily available. Thank you for pointing me to it. Meredith is now an Associate Professor - Professor in Australia is not a teacher. It is the top of the academic ladder. She is leading the research group heading into a major study over the next few years on the implementation of these methods into tertiary education.

I do use details in the physical memory journeys for links. That is why I prefer to walk my palaces rather than use locations I can only call up in memory. It doesn’t mean I can’t call things up from memory - I do all the time. But I tend to encode when I am physically at the location.

Lynne

4 Likes

I’m sure I don’t know what you mean, Lynne. Your hair is fabulous
I’ve never seen anybody do that thing with the ribbon in the braid but now that I have I wish I had long hair so I could do it myself.

2 Likes

Hi There, I didn’t realise this site had a blogging section, or maybe it’s all a blogging setup? I’m sitting in a school-self-evaluation meeting all in Cantonese and … going through some emails and found this conversation seems to have erupted.
I just love Lynne Kelly’s work. I’m playing with it really slowly, but it’s never far away. I’m a teacher in a rather conservative school system (Hong Kong local Chinese system) and I don’t have much say in how anything goes. But have a session every Sunday with friend’s kid that I tutor and for the last 2 years we’ve been trying out some systems. I’ve done some others with my own kids. Covid school suspensions have also been quite disruptive and put an end to at least one project.

3 Likes

Hi Tanya!
Yes, the whole website is a forum. Blog is the wrong term. A forum, people discuss things in a public setting. A blog, one person discusses things in a public setting and has full control.

I am happy that you have been trying some of these things with your children. How has your success been?

2 Likes

My most recent project is to carve a memory object with symbols to represent dance moves for a Zoom Belly-dance class I’m doing. I want to see if my hand can read it without me looking at it.
And today while being invigilator on a 2 hour exam (walking up and down in the hall with no distractors), I went to my first and only memory palace which I’ve encoded with the first 20 countries etc by pop, and also the first 20 elements of the periodic table. (I hated chemistry). I spent about 20 minutes remembering some missing elements and strengthening their triggers. And then I spent about 30 min cleaning up some problems in linking when my locations didn’t follow each other around the room in a sensible direction. (Mexican Santa at his Neon party now has tequila shots and runs out of salt and roars ‘bring me SALT’ before he zooms across the room to Japan where the Sodium is. Then I went forwards and backwards and by 5s.
It was so pleasurable to spend time there. I’m really keen to get past 20 now. Maybe I better start my own blog here.
Oh, what I meant to say was… I’m getting a new teaching project next year, it’s a whole new curriculum and there’s a chance I can direct it to a drama-based memory project. Creative Chaos.

2 Likes

Wonderful! Will you take the opportunity to explore songlines with your students?

1 Like

Hi Tanya,

So good to see you here! I think this is the best forum on the internet - really interesting people with great ideas and I never see a negative comment. I love it!

I look forward to your input - you have so much to offer and I don’t get to hear from you often. Please tag me if you are talking about what you are doing because I find it really interesting.

Lynne

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking. I’ve been in a mental world that no one will listen to me (I’m an outsider teacher, the only non-Chinese person, but on the other hand, I’ve been here for 12 years. They have to be used to me by now!) I’ve been assigned this new class which no one know what to do with (for various reasons, the government suddenly cancelled a core subject and called it ‘enhancement’ and now everyone has to work out what to do with the time). To my delight, I’ve been assigned 3x 80 minute classes a week with Form 4 next year (3 different groups). I am to create my own ‘English Drama’ curriculum. I think one drama project could certainly be a songline through the school with different groups representing different time periods. I’ve got a new burst of energy and I’ve been engaging teachers outside my department (that’s more weird than you’d think). And they really seem to get it. A Chinese teacher just said ‘ah, you could support their learning in their other elective subjects’. As there’s a good chance they’ll be grouped by the electives they are doing. So that’s somewhere to start. I also had a chat to someone at the EDB (Ed Bureau) Curriculum section this week and he didn’t treat me like I was mad either. So this idea that has seemed really impossible to me is suddenly feeling like its time is coming. I’d love some advice on documenting what I’m doing.

3 Likes

With my daughter, I created a memory palace in her school’s english room to hold all the books in a ‘Battle of the Books’ competition I was coaching. Then it got cancelled when school went online, and before I could teach it to anyone but my own kid.
With my son, we created rapscallion pebbles to remember the provinces of China. We’d place them on the map and tell/encode a story about the province. We could put them on a blank map in any order and do it. We got about half way through then the school year pushed all projects aside. However it’s Summer again, we are keen to re-awaken the memories and complete the project. My son also sings his Chinese dictations with measurable improvement.

I’m not sure that ‘rapscallion’ is recognised by many in this context. I would love that it was. In my memory world, rapscallions are characters - is that what you are doing? Are your pebbles characters? I want to learn the provinces - do you have a rapscallion for each province, or are your rapscallions travelling around the country?

Lynne