Free Kindle books on memorizing the Bible

Hi all,

I thought you might like to get my new Kindle ebook on memorizing Scripture while it’s free.

I’ve explained the ideas here, in another thread:

Basically, I’ve found that with Scripture, you can break the lines into rhythms, like poetry, and they become much easier to memorize. When I first started memorizing, I used an elaborate system of visual mnemonics.
But I discovered that the language of the Bible, when freed into rhythms, doesn’t really need them.

Here are the two books:

Lent by Heart: How to Memorize the Gospel Stories of the Passion and Death

Free today (Tuesday) through Good Friday (Mar 29)
Includes rhythmic Passion stories from the Gospels.

Easter by Heart: How to Memorize the Gospel Stories of the Resurrection

Free from Holy Saturday (Mar 30) through Easter Monday (Apr 1)
Includes rhythmic Resurrection stories from the Gospels, and Pentecost from Acts.

Hope you enjoy them,
Bill Powell

Do you have a daily practice of memorizing biblical passages? A certain amount you commit to memory each day?

I agree that rhythmical texts have their own mnemonics built in, but I find that adding spatial places to store the text mentally helps with large amounts of text.

Hi Rublev!

I find that daily memorization is one of those habits that ebbs and flows. :slight_smile: I tend to learn a chapter or so, and then take a break. When I’m learning a chapter, yes, the key is to learn at least one new verse a day, while also renewing the verses I’ve learned so far.

I found a book once that recommended learning one daily verse for a month, then two daily verses the next month, and so on up to a max of about five verses per day. (More on that here: http://howtoremember.biz/cumulative-method) It depends how much time you want to spend. For me, one or two new verses per day is about right for how much time I want to spend every day.

I used to use Anki to review individual verses, but I found that the randomization destroyed the context, which seemed to offset any gains I would have achieved with the spaced repetition.

With Scripture, I think that, rather than using a tool like Anki, an easier choice is to “over review”, simply saying a large chunk every day, because it really doesn’t take long to say the verses, and you keep them in context. (Here’s my daily schedule: http://howtoremember.biz/learn/new-daily-memory-routine)

Once you’ve learned the whole chapter, then, for long-term memorization, I suggest simple schedulng (the whole chapter once a month for a year, then every three months for the next year, etc.). Then you can write the chapter on your calendar, and most people would rather do that than commit to checking Anki or another flashcard program.

But I’m curious to hear what spatial methods you use for large amounts of text. So far my books are geared to beginners, so they’re only learning a chapter or two. But I agree that, for an entire book of the Bible, you might need some loci. When I first learned Mark, I used a mnemonic for every verse, but I found that ultimately distracting and too much work. I’m actually trying to forget those mnemonics!

I’ve thought about using one mnemonic per story. Or even one mnemonic for a whole chapter. The new chapters I’ve learned since then really do seem to hang together without mnemonics.

What do you do? Anyone else? There are some other interesting threads on this forum about memorizing Scripture with loci, but so far the discussions seem to center on mnemonics for every verse, or even every word. I’d love to hear if anyone else has had success using them “sparingly”, one per story or chapter.

Thanks!
Bill Powell

Hello Bill,

I just joined the forums. A few months ago, I wanted to start memorizing Scripture ‘Promises’ and was using some of the techniques in ‘Moonwalking with Einstein’ to do it. Finding this post is pretty cool to hear about what you are doing to remember ‘entire’ chapters and books in the Bible. That must be a massive effort. I sometimes will struggle with a single scripture entry while you are tackling entire chapters, lol… This is a very powerful endeavor in your journey of memorizing scriptures. I am no where close to tackling that much data to memorize, but also only need the promises for now.

My technique has been to create an easily remembered picture story that includes the numbers location in the Bible as well as a ‘tag’ of which chapter it is, so that I can recall its location later. The story has ‘fish hooks’ for recalling the fragments into the location. Somehow, doing all this allows me to remember the exact ‘rote’ version of the scripture.

So I guess on my version of how to do this, I still use two versions of memorizing; picture stories and then rote, but the picture stories are the ‘key’ to making it all work for some reason.

Great fun… Its like my new hobby. A labor of love.

I hope your books do great. I’ll check them out if they can be run on iPad. I usually purchase books in the Apple bookstore.

Here is a simple scripture mesh;
King David (chapter tag) is 37 years old, having 4 ice creams in a Cold Stone ice creamery. He really ‘de-LIGHTS’ in this ice cream. Then… De-LIGHT, desire/petition (room petition), commit.

With that, I can remember this;
Psalms 37:4
Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires and petitions of your heart. Commit your way to Him and He will bring it to pass.

Creating the mini stories can sometimes come fast, and sometimes they might take a day or several to figure out, modify and perfect. Sometimes though, some really come to me fast and its great. One trick I am learning is to really pay attention to the little pictures that flow through the very back of your mind as you read a scripture as ‘there’ are usually the pictures already made.

Bill / LH

Welcome! Thanks for your interest in my books! If you can’t get them to work on your iPad, let me know with a PM or on http://howtoremember.biz/contact and I’ll send you a file that should work. Amazon has a “Kindle Select” program where the book’s only available on Amazon for the first 90 days, so I haven’t listed them anywhere else yet.

I’m glad the picture method is working for you. Lots of people use the picture method with great success. I used it myself at first (one picture per verse), but I eventually found that it really wasn’t necessary. I really think our brains have a memory for text itself, that just needs a little training. If you ever get impatient with making all those pictures, I encourage you to try the methods in my book, which are much easier and faster, and more similar to how millions of people in other cultures have memorized their holy books (e.g. Muslims memorizing the Qu’ran).

Enjoy the journey!
Bill Powell

Thanks Bill and roger that! I’ll get getting them.

Bill

I’m enjoying your website and joined the facebook page. Good stuff!