Early Oral history & Mnemonics

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a book which integrates early Oral history & Mnemonics?

Thanks

You might find this useful:

https://kalbos.ktu.lt/index.php/KStud/article/view/19186/13503

I would also check out @LynneKelly’s books.

Thank you iOS :slight_smile:

By the way, what kind of developmental work do you & how does memory integrate into it?

Stefos

@Stefos, most of the research in early oral history is strengthening the connections to what we have written. For instance the gospel of Mark is important as the first recorded document transitioning from an oral version. The structures of the document point to the types of mnemonic techniques used but other than the general rhetoric recommendations, I don’t know of any that really give you great answers because the field is still young.

If you have a Logos membership, this month a fairly recent book on the history of memorizing and the recitation of Mark is on sale for $12.99 normally $55.99.

From the overview : Sandra Huebenthal demonstrates that Mark is a text evolving from collective narrative memory based on recollections of Jesus’s life and teachings. She investigates the principles and structures of how groups remember and how their memory is structured and presented.

Whitney Shiner is also a good source for first century recitation styles and memorization techniques. He wrote Proclaiming the Gospel and has a good chapter in the anthology Performing the Gospel . I am drawing on these authors’ collective wisdom to see how I can better make a mnemonic system for today for my 7711 system.

The best online resource is the site and journal for Oral Tradition. It’s an open-access journal devoted to the study of the world’s oral traditions, past and present. Founded in 1986 at the University of Missouri by John Miles Foley, it now has a new home at Harvard University. Published journal online. https://oraltradition.org/

Doug

2 Likes

Hi Doug,

You’re right…

Thank you for posting :slight_smile:
I will check out the journal site online as I don’t have a Logos membership.

Stefos

1 Like

Orality and Literacy by Walter Ong

1 Like

Hi Ron,

Thanks…I have this book actually! :slight_smile:

Stefos

You should definitely check out Dr. Lynne Kelly’s Memory Code.

1 Like

Best place to start, IMO.