Domino memory system

A couple of days ago I made a number to letter based system that allows for very fast reading/translation of numbers. Yesterday I remembered 100 digits in 2,5 minutes using my only memorypalace containing 50 locations. Because of the ghost image problem I feel I can only use this memory palace 2 times a day. So most of my training is just translating numbers into objects (some are people) using number lists or flash numbers. I find this rather boring.

So I imagined, why not just use the linking (or chain) method. Just like Ben Pridmore says “create stories in my mind”. Well it sort of goes like this: an elephant (25) slap the incredible hulk (11), who falls onto a giant pizza (23) which gets sliced in half by a speedboat (01) and then I have a bowl of m&m’s (04) and the story collapses.

The problem is, that I can create powerfull connections in a fraction of a second 3/4 of the times, but for the other 1/4 I’m completely lost, so the flow of the story is completely destroyed. The question that jumped on me was “why do I have to re-invent the wheel over and over?”. Put in another way: "can’t the connection between object x and object Y not simply be predetermined?

This got me thinking about the domino game, in which each domino piece has 2 sides. The memory equivalent can be something like this:
cow = cow + next object slides out of cow tongue;
helicopter = helicopter + next object appears in pilot seat;
saxophone = saxophone + next object comes out of saxophone horn.

I would like to know if there are other memorisers who use this method and does it work and how do you make it work?

3 Likes

No idea if anyone else uses it but it sounds very similar to how i used to memorise cards when I first started ie I would put two characters on a loci and ‘story’ them together. For example Odin ‘stabbing’ Elvis with gungnir’s point (…or shaft butt depending on how one interprets ‘stabbing’!) The second character was always on the end of the first character’s action. Worked fine, just slooow and that would be my concern with the ‘domino’ method. I’m sure it would work and work well but might be slower than other ways.

Sounds like your idea that would work just as good with enough practice. It is what you are doing already except you are feeling your image a bit more in your domino examples, hence processing them more wisely.

When I’m in tune with if the image, a saxophone to use your example,I’d intuitively (with practice it comes) use from it what will stick, in this case the saxophone eating the helicopter with its Horn of a mouth , the helicopters rotor massaging the cow, and the next image being chewed like a cow chews on grass…

With memory palace, many go so well with the surrounding it does not need an extra link with next image.

Not being in tune with the object I me make too big of stories, too complicated of stories.

Have you tried letting go the stories a bit between objects and playing a bit more with associations with your palace?

I had to really focus on that for a while , then go back to my stories and find the correct balance between the two for each image.

The thing is, for me, one image will be quicker and better linked with the next image , and another will be better linked to the palace, and it’s really an endless tango :dancer: and with practice I got better and better.

I m not stepping on her toes as much, I go more and more often the right direction, with palace and/or image

That’s better than a lot of people :slight_smile:

Are you involving the Recall-Triggers at your locis?
It may be a good idea to involve the person with the recall trigger at your loci to make it more memorable. I do and it makes the scenes a lot more vivid.

What’s on your first locus?
Let’s say there is a chair on the first locus in your palace, so the chair will be the recall-trigger.
so your 25 Elephant will pick up the chair at your first locus and slaps/breaks/hits your 11 Hulk with it. Or you can do the slapping action and have hulk hit him with the chair.
So when you are at the recall starge, use the trigger which is the chair and it will just pop up. Try this and see how you go with it.

As for the actions, yes you’d need to prepare an action for each ob your person/objects, and with practice you’ll get better and faster.

Another idea that may require a little time investing is to use the triggers as the actions.
So make note of each locus and what’s on the locus and give each item at each locus a ready made action that your 2 digit will use on the next 2 digit.

Ben Pridmore had the world record for a deck of cards in just over 20 seconds for a while using the linking method; he only used the memorypalace as a background to his linked object story. I would imagine that properly developed predetermined links might make things even faster because the story is made in a very mechanical reflex kind of way.

The Ben system does not allow a domino way of doing things (I imagine) because of the great number (2700) of images; to much work.

I am tempted to believe that the standard memory palace method has more potential for speed because with some training you can put more than 1 object at the time in its proper memory palace location.

I have done something very similar a couple of years ago in sort of an accidental way. I had a system with just people (every super heroe, wrestler, sport icon, singer, actor I could imagine). Associating the numbers with the right person was a disaster, to put it mildly. So I figured, I’m gonna put them in a memory palace and use my sense of location to learn the number-person connections.

One thing I experienced, was that navigating in the memory palace became really slow, as if your walking/flying in a building with to much clutter.

I tried to use the system using the reverse memory palace method that was suggested on this forum a couple of years ago. I made a logical lists of animals and objects and I would imagine bringing them in order to the locations/person determined by the to be memorised list of numbers. It feels like being a UPS postal woker that doesn’t sort his packages but teleports from location to location. It worked somewhat, but not really.

1 Like

You have a point I think. BTW on the subject of Ben and cards, incase you haven’t yet seen it (and I’m surprised how many mnemonists haven’t): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL9ypNz9-mM

3 Likes

Yes I’ve seen it before and it was good to see it again.
I can see that he is involving the last object into the new locus and starts another action on the new loci. He sometimes involves the last object with the new one on the next locus also. I always thought it would take a little longer doing it this way but it seems to work for him and perhaps many other people.

1 Like

That was amazing! I read him so much and now I see his face with his story with such good music.

I forgot that putting anything anywhere in a Memory Palace is associating this thing to Something in the Memory Palace, subconsciously at the very least. Using it only on the background, when looking closely, I find associations and just as many as can be found in a story alone.

The question is, When populating a palace, what is the minimum and simplest required associations needed, in this whole world (palace+story) created in a flash, for it to work?

Good music?!?! Anyways at the risk of further hi-jacking this thread (sorry erik) you, cameri, are aware Ben posts here sometimes as “Zoomy” and his personal blog is zoomy.blogspot.com ?

1 Like

I think you just expressed the holy grail of memory related questions.

2 Likes

There’s also a dedicated thread about the video here with some notes:

3 Likes

If you look closely (1:37), you can see the monkey is not real; there is a guy in black behind him moving the poor animal.

2 Likes

:joy_cat: ooooo yes a while back I fell on his Ask a champion thread and couldn’t stop till I read it and read it all, strongly enjoyed it, even more than the music , if the comparison is possible

Although I have been listening to baroque since sunrise, this music with the video and man at work was in a whole a great surprise a great experience.

And I had not gotten to discover his blog, thank you for that !

1 Like

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody! Incidentally, the guy in black who’s operating the monkey is Toby Philpott, a very accomplished puppeteer. Among many other great performances, he was the left arm of Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi! :monkey:

4 Likes

I will like to ask for your advice for developing a new memory system which works by having two memory palaces one with rooms and the other with pillars at its center and in this system the first memory palace is divided into flats for storing certain data and the top floor is its base floor containing a picture of what you want to learn and when the memory of your brain is about to get filled then you can switch to the second palace and place a relevant object or objects at its pillars and you can also create multiple memory palace and place them into relevant parts of an imaginary city(which can be imagined by you) and you can also store information in a single memory palace in different dimensions in your mind(imagined by you) like for example- A single palace in one dimension can contain information about a book where as another palace in a different dimension can contain information about the explanation of the contents of a book which is given by a teacher,I am going to write more about this method in this form soon and I also request your feedback for this method soon as you were a world memory champion for three times,and please reply soon,Cheers.

At my request a software can has been created for your previous system for memorizing numbers which can be found here -http://doptrix.com/Construct/MemorySystem/,Cheees.