Does this full decision framework for what enters Anki (and how) hold up? (Wozniak + Gwern + memory palace practice)

I’ve been building a decision framework combining a few sources — Piotr Wozniak’s 20 Rules of Formulating Knowledge, Gwern’s “Spaced Repetition for Efficient Learning” essay, and Alex Mullen’s documented memory palace + Anki approach — and I want the community to stress-test it. It’s meant to apply to any new piece of knowledge, not just deducible facts — that was just my worked example, and I realize now it made the framework look narrower than it is.

The general framework, in order:

  1. Retention horizon: Is this indefinite (career-relevant) knowledge, or a one-off/administrative fact (an exam room number, a temporary password)? Only indefinite knowledge proceeds — everything else stays out of Anki entirely.
  2. Gwern’s cost-benefit filter: Regardless of what kind of fact it is — arbitrary or derivable — will the lifetime cost of not knowing it (repeated lookup time, or the cost of re-deriving it every time) exceed the lifetime review cost of memorizing it? Gwern’s estimate: a well-retained card converges to roughly 1.8–5 minutes of total review time over a lifetime; his rule of thumb is “don’t bother with SRS if you need it sooner than 5 days or it’s worth less than 5 minutes.” This gate applies to every candidate fact, deducible or not.
  3. Is it derivable from more basic principles (Wozniak’s Rule 1 — don’t learn without understanding)? This step does not decide whether the fact enters Anki — that was already decided in step 2. It only decides what kind of backup the card carries for when you fail it:
  • Derivable → the backup is a reasoning chain (a “Big Picture” field with the derivation)
  • Not derivable → check step 4
  1. Is it an arbitrary set/list of 5+ items with no internal logic (Wozniak’s Rules 9-10), or at risk of interference with a similar item already in the deck (Rule 11)? If yes, the backup is a memory palace image (Mullen’s approach — locus + minimal image description, following his own note that heavy narrative descriptions become useless once the fact is intuitive). If no, it’s a plain fact with no backup needed beyond the answer itself.

Two worked examples to show it’s not deducible-only:

  • sin(30°) = 1/2 — derivable (bisect an equilateral triangle → 30-60-90 triangle). Passes Gwern’s filter (used repeatedly, re-deriving mid-problem is costly). Backup = reasoning chain, no image. Also flagged for interference with cos(60°) = 1/2, handled by anchoring which axis each corresponds to within the same Big Picture field, not a separate image.
  • A drug’s exact half-life (e.g., amiodarone ≈ 58 days) — not derivable from any pharmacokinetic principle, it’s a measured empirical value. Also passes Gwern’s filter for a practicing pharmacist. Since it risks interference with other drugs’ similar half-lives, it gets a memory palace image + locus as its backup, per Mullen’s economy-of-effort principle (he explicitly avoids over-encoding facts that are intuitive or logically recoverable, reserving palace images for arbitrary/dense material).

So the same three-source framework produces different backups (reasoning vs. image) depending on step 3-4, but the entry decision (step 1-2) is identical regardless of whether the fact turns out to be derivable or arbitrary.

Does this full sequencing hold up — particularly the claim that derivability only determines backup type, never entry eligibility? Or is there a case where a derivable fact should be excluded from Anki for a different reason than the cost-benefit filter already covers?

3 Likes

I would like to say, first, that I appreciate your post. Even if framed as a question, your framework has quality. I feel that users of this site could benefit from your uncompromising and pragmatic rules for memorization without obsession.

Having said this, I do not follow your framework and I will not. During a semester of my degree, I add far more to Anki than I expect to keep for life. At some later time, after the semester is concluded, I sift through my cards: some I combine, some I delete, and some are turned into revision problems rather than Anki cards. I study physics, and I explain using the words of a physicist why I memorize more cards than I need.

In his messenger lectures, Feynman mentions the Babylonian way of doing mathematics, where important and useful facts, from many branches of the tree of logical dependence, are used to prove other results, rather than memorizing only the axioms. I find that a keeping a denser web of these Babylonian facts in my head while doing a course is beneficial — one cannot take the time to crunch through a series of deductions in the middle of a lecture.

However, it would be too time consuming to keep this density of facts, so closely related by deduction, in one’s head indefinitely. Now coming to your main question, I think that one must get a feel for which of these Babylonian points in the tree of deduction deserve a place for a longer period. Depending on your interest and the relevance of the topic, you might choose these points to be denser or sparser. A general rule could be the following: To an idea one either enjoyed learning or used often, there should be a card at least closely related.

All this is to say what may already be obvious to you. A great deal of intuition should be employed, in addition to your framework, when deciding whether to include an idea in Anki, especially if it is derivable.