Does fast reading increase comprehension and understanding?

Does fast reading increase comprehension and understanding ???

4 Likes

I don’t think that reading quickly increases comprehension (it seems to lower it), but you can increase both speed and comprehension with practice.

2 Likes

For some very slow readers, part of the problem is that the meaning sentences and paragraphs are hard to assimilate because of the slowness itself, along with constant regressions, wandering, etc. (When I was young this use to be a problem).

As an analogy, perhaps you have had to listen to someone speaking extremely slowly—so slow that they were restarting their sentences repeatedly, and losing their train of thought. If so, you probably found it extremely difficult to follow the conversation.

In such cases, just speeding up to regular speed would be likely to cut back on wandering and improve li comprehension. But that doesn’t mean reading at very high speeds, just fast enough to cut out the wandering.

There is a point of diminishing returns, however. Going too fast too soon, without the right training would probably just back to problems with comprehension.

3 Likes

There is a sweet spot IMO. If you take the extreme case of struggling through a text in a foreign language in which you are not fluent, one can lose the thread or narrative of the text. OTH it is definitely possible to read faster than one can absorb the material.

2 Likes

Yes. If you’ve already given up on phonetic loop and you see the page content like a movie. It will also improve your memorization. But, this cannot be learned in a day or a week.

1 Like

Hi Andrey. This sounds interesting to me: could you elaborate on the technique or point me in the right direction to find more information?

1 Like

Hi, Joshua. The name of this technique is vertical visual reading. It is easier for our brain to perceive a group of words than individual words. So we understand the phrase hot dog right away. We already can grasp some groups in two words in this way. It is obvious that after training, you can increase the chunks to whole sentences.Canary running and singing in a cage. You can train your brain to immediately see this scene without fonetic loop. And, as you know, the brain remembers visual scenes better. I advise you to practice according to the book by Peter Camp and the Ramon Campayo`s book “Maximize your memory”.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

May be others know well, but according to me, based on my experience, YES.
Speed ​​reading helps me comprehend faster.

This happens because Brain naturally loves speed reading. When we read everything slowly, our brain gets tired and loses attention span. Losing attention leads to lack of understanding and increases of mental pressure.

But with speed reading, our brain gets excited and naturally processes the concept / text quickly, which naturally increases attention span and this level of attention and enthusiasm improves comprehension.

1 Like