Dealing with diacritic marks in an alphabetical system

For people with a system for encoding A-Z for spelling words or something, I’m curious to how you deal with symbols like Ä, Ç, Ó, Ñ, or Ž if they ever come up. That is all.

Hi @Icosencephalic,

I use braille for the alphabet via my binary digit system. I’ve explained it in more detail in a previous post:

A-Z only covers 26 out of the 64 available cells, so there is room for additional characters in braille. I’ve simply created additional links to my binary images for the letters with diacritics (ditto for punctuation marks):

(Josh Cohen) #3

If there is a limited number of characters that you know you’ll encounter, you can create extra images for the other letters.

An easy way to create a quick image on the spot is to think of a word that begins with that letter.

Example: the letter “ç” could be an image of cheese (ç is a “ch” sound in Turkish).

Thanks. Also, if doing it systematically for example, I might encode an action for each diacritic mark.
For example, if A is an apple and an accent mark is using a sword to slash the object in two, then Á might be an apple being slashed, and Í might be an ice cube being slashed. The dieresis/umlaut is rare enough that I might encode each letter separately, like Ö being a word that starts with Ö, like öljy (oil) in Finnish. Only disadvantage is that I might get confused about what language I encoded a letter in!