Creation of PAO System 00-99 easily enlargable to a 000-999

Hello, everyone!!

I’m new to memory techniques and I was planning to create my own PAO System. Since I’m a beginner, I thought I should start with a 00-99 system, but I’d like to create it in a way that it’ll be easily, or at least consistenly, enlargable to a 000-999 in case I wanted to upgrade the system anytime in the future. The point is to create a 00-99 system that could be reusable for the 000-999, so I don’t lose all my previous work whenever I decide to change and it makes the transition easier.

I’ve been trapped in this issue for some time, so I could really use some help here.
Thank you all for your time!!

I think that Nelson Dellis has done it. You can read about that method here:

I think the key is to ensure that your initial 99 are distinct. That way, they can then act as the start of your wider system. E.g. if 10 is the current British Prime-Minister, all 10s could be politicians.

You might get more helpful info if you search for Category-based systems.

1 Like

Very wise, rotvic. I suggest to everyone that they should do this.

Except that a millennium PAO is not very effective. You can take a PAO and upgrade it to a 1000 object list, but you’ll do best to remake some of those initial hundred when you do. That’s not really a big deal because 100 of 1,000 is not much better than starting from scratch as far as quantity is concerned.

But keeping as many of the 100 objects you can use well is a good head start over starting from scratch. Learning to use those 100 objects in such a way that you’ve already learned how to use a pure object system and their use doesn’t need to be adjusted is even more valuable than just keeping objects of the same name and appearance. It’s a subtle difference, and I moved from PAO to a pure object list and did just fine. PAO was 2 and a half years ago and that experience doesn’t have any effect on me now. Plus, I was the earliest stage of beginner then, whereas now I’m probably more than half way through the beginner stage. :slight_smile:

So just use 100 objects. It’s the simplest and best answer IMO.

There’s nothing wrong with PAO, and it has the advantage of being a little easier to handle when memorizing very large quantities of information. But it doesn’t have the advantage of speed or ease of use generally, and as I said before is not as good for upgrading (because millennium PAO is strongly discouraged - to my knowledge, those who have used it have categorically either abandoned or regretted the effort or both), even though the shift to 1000 objects is a big one and using PAO isn’t going to hold you back in any serious way. If you want to upgrade, you’ll be able to do it no matter what you do now. Just don’t think that PAO is clearly superior to 100 pure objects merely because it is popular and more complex. That just isn’t true. So you can just use your intuition to get a picture of which experience will be more enjoyable for you, take your pick, and you’ll be fine. Just don’t stay stuck like this. Pick something and roll with it, and you’ll double, then double, then double your abilities again in no time. You thought ahead to upgrading in the future from the very start, just like I did. In my case it only took a few months to begin to upgrade (starting the very night of the first USAMC that I attended). But it was still absolutely a good thing that I started with something smaller in order to lock down some fundamentals before spending all that time creating a big object list, that I could continue to improve my skills with along the way.

If you’re sure you’ll upgrade, it’s smart to get started right away. Just start filling out the 1000 object list here and there. There’s no pressure, and when you want to switch you’ll have less work to do and you’ll already be familiar with a chunk of your object list by having read it a bunch of times (you should quickly read through your created objects whenever you create a few more). Because you’ll see that once you name your 1000 objects, you’ve made it to square 1. You can do it “quickly” if you spend many hours on it for a few days, but there’s just no point in taking that route. If you want to learn vocabulary, you make a few flashcards and learn them inside and out over the next few days. You don’t just pick up a dictionary and have at it. Call this a long term project and get the ball rolling slow and steady. You’ll find that it wasn’t so much effort after all, as long the window of time from start to completion is long enough.