Books about early cognitive development?

What are the best resources (books, websites, anything) about the cognitive development of infants and young children? (Looking for either descriptive or prescriptive or both)

1 Like

Writing my notes here, for whoever is interested from the future.

I went through a few lists of recommendations from parenting websites: after looking at reviews and table of contents, I’d say it seems like almost all of those books can be really helpful for some people and also sound really obvious to other people.
Among all these, there are a few that seem to have at least some content that is not really that obvious for anyone (note I’m saying this without having read these or any other):
“What’s Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life”, Lise Eliot
“Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: How Our Children Really Learn–and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less”, Roberta Michnick Golinkoff
“Temperament Tools: Working with Your Child’s Inborn Traits”, by Helen F. Neville and Diane Clark Johnson

I was thinking that I’d really like to have a comprehensive view of the subject, so an option to consider would be to rent a college textbook on children’s cognitive development. The tables of content of those books look great. Although from the previews I imagine that their fonts might make them a difficult read.

In the past I listened to two very different Great Courses I would recommend that are related to the subject: “Scientific Secrets for Raising Kids Who Thrive” and “Theories of Human Development”.
In their bibliographies I found the following which seem relevant.

From Theories of Human Development:
Robert S. Siegler. Emerging Minds: The Process of Change in Children’s Thinking

From Scientific secrets for raising kids who thrive:
Books:
Acredolo, L., and S. Goodwyn. Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love.
Anderson, J. R. Learning and Memory
Bar-On, R. E., and J. D. Parker, eds. The Handbook of Emotional Intelligence: Theory, Development, Assessment, and Application at Home, School, and in the Workplace.
Bialystok, E. Bilingualism in Development: Language, Literacy, and Cognition.
Blumberg, F. C., and S. M. Fisch eds. Digital Games: A Context for Cognitive Development: New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, No. 139. Wiley.com., 2013
Bodrova, Elena, and Deborah J. Leong. Tools of the Mind: The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education.
Carpenter, T. P., E. Fennema, M. L. Franke, L. Levi, and S. B. Empson. Children’s Mathematics: Cognitively Guided Instruction.
Dawson, Peg, and Richard Guare. Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents, Second Edition: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention)
Dehaene, S. The Number Sense: How the Mind Creates Mathematics
Gallagher, S. Experimenting with Babies: 50 Amazing Science Projects You Can Perform on Your Kid.
Gopnik, A., A. N. Meltzoff, and P. K. Kuhl. The Scientist in the Crib: Minds, Brains and How Children Learn
Sarama, J., and D. H. Clements. Early Childhood Mathematics Education Research: Learning Trajectories for Young Children.
Websites:
Common Sense Media. Game Reviews, http://www.commonsensemedia. org/game-reviews
Consortium on Social and Emotional Learning. CASEL Guide. http://www. casel.org/guide
Zero to Three: National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families. http:// www.zerotothree.org/

Many of these books can be found used for cheap.