Benefits from this training in other parts of life

Hi All

I’m new to memory training and this forum and software look quite amazing and professional.

Can anybody tell me how this training has benefitted them in their career/personal life?

I work as a lawyer and my goal is not to necessarily memorize huge amounts of data but to improve my brain and become as smart/intelligent that I am capable of.

With that goal in mind, do you guys think it would be worthwhile for me to go through this training or to use my energy on something else?

Thanks a lot in advance!

(Josh Cohen) #2

I think it’s worthwhile to learn memory techniques, even if you aren’t going to memorize legal information. Example: I feel like it has improved my creativity because of a faster ability to make associations between ideas.

That is its primary purpose though. Obviously, your memory also works without memory techniques and a lot of top athletes make the point that they are as likely to forget where they left their keys as non-mnemonists are.

Memory and intelligence is not the same thing. What do you consider “intelligence” in this context? Speaking more than two languages? Problem solving?

Just off the top of my head, here are some things that come to mind:

1. Foreign languages. This is one major area of application of mnemonic techniques, and I can say its influence on my own life has been both profound and widespread. Foreign languages open doors for you that you can’t imaging beforehand.

2. Being able to remember people’s names is a really useful skill for almost anyone in any profession. And also to remember other information about clients and other important people in your life.

3. This is harder to explain, but practice with mnemonic techniques enhances your powers of imagination and the vividness of life. You are constantly looking for patterns and associations.

(Simon Luisi) #5

Hct87, I would recommend you use your energy on something else.

I think people who doubt the benefits of getting into this do not have what it takes to succeed at this and therefore I am saving you time and energy here that you will be able to use in a truly beneficial way. Have a nice and productive day.

This is a skill mostly for those who have to have it.

Thanks for all your answers!

I apologize for if my question wasn’t clear enough. I’m simply looking for a way (if possible) to increase my “mental RAM”, making me able to do better quality work, work faster, multitask better and stay focused and concentrated for longer periods of time. I believe that I’m already doing really well at this, but I’m determined to go to the top of my field and looking for ways to become even better at my work. So in a way, I think I’m asking if this makes me an overall smarter person?

I’ve been doing math problems which have helped me even though I don’t use any math directly in my work. It just seemed to expand my brains capabilities.

(Josh Cohen) #7

I generally don’t like to use words like “smart” or “intelligence” because they are too vague, but I’d recommend diving in and giving the memory techniques a try. The techniques changed the way I think and my life in general.

You might be interested in this thread: Memory Training Research by Boris Konrad.

To start, download the free ebooklet and try an exercise like memorizing the order of red and black in a deck of cards. You can use that same technique to memorize 60 random binary digits (a nice party trick) and see if the process of creating mnemonic images and placing them in memory journeys is enjoyable for you. Another memory exercise that doesn’t take much advance preparation is the images event on Memory League.

Thank you.

I actually found a course named something like black belt brain athlete memory training by a guy name Ron White before I found this forum.

I don’t know if the techniques in this software are similar, but I found that course useful and liked the exercises (even though the instruction videos in between were way to long).

I absolutely agree that the words “smart” or “intelligent” doesn’t mean a lot anymore and everybody has their own definitions of these words, but it was the best I could come up with. Will definitely check out the thread.

(Josh Cohen) #9

I just meant that I wouldn’t tell people that “memory techniques will make you smarter”, because I hesitate to use those kinds of words in general, but I feel like there have been cognitive benefits for me. :slight_smile:

(Simon Luisi) #10

Well, if your first question was really about that then yes, go for it. Although I have heard that multitasking (or division of attention) isn’t known to help improve memory.

But try to remain open minded about what benefits you may get out of it. For instance, now that I trust I can memorize lyrics of songs by using the memory palace, and not forget them in a week, I do learn these songs and yes, I do feel good about that. Feeling good about your memory is priceless!!

I think you are smarter (right now) if you really get to think that this is a skill you have to have. Good thinking, good decisions reveal how smart, intelligent you are. But be yourself. There is nothing wrong or stupid with being illierate, for instance.

Thanks for you answers.

I sure that I can benefit a lot from memory improvement as a lawyers, but since I don’t know the techniques yet, I didn’t want to set my expectations too high, so I just started to asked about my smartness/thinking ability.

But your answers have been very encouraging.