Are Memory palace's good for exams?

Title.

I’ve never made one but am curious if they’re good, as(correct me if I’m wrong) you need to visit and go through them to remember the memory. Now, of course you ought to to learn and mentally memorize a portion of it, but still, is it good?

I have small 45 minutes exam, and long 3 hour exams.

I will have a ■■■■ ton of info to memorize.

For you, probably not. I assume you are completely new to memory techniques, and I also assume your exam isn’t that far off in time. So you won’t be able to set it up and get used to is fast enough for it to be more useful than just normal study.

Then, it depends on what you think it will allow you to do. Will you be able to be like those movie characters with photographic memories that read a book and remember everything with no effort? No, never.

A memory palace is great for exams, but you have to use it for specific things. Memory isn’t all there is to learning, you should study the material until you can understand it and apply it (if possible), and only then you should start storing key points of it in a memory palace. Usually just key words that will work as a way to index what you already know, which will make it so you are never stumped without being able to answer something that you know you knew the previous day.

Memorizing a ■■■■ ton of info is possible, but it requires time (that would be better used just studying) and it’s not really worth it, as you wouldn’t be learning anything.

2 Likes

Yes but it’s not so easy to use it. I don’t understand well I use other methods. If you has little time be careful. Because memory methods are important but are only a part of study. I suggest study this in your free time. And when you have not exams.

1 Like

@Nicoriossoto and @Biondi1789 have already answered about the usefulness.

You really should try using a memory palace if you haven’t. You should soon notice reverse lookup where you will be able to recall where an object is in a palace and some items surrounding it just by visualizing the object in the palace. An exam question should be enough of a cue to recall the location in which you stored the information.

Example of application is calendar calculation. If you’re right, someone who is determining the year code with palace will have to go through all the loci which is not usually the case. I usually only have to go through the loci for review or when I cannot remember the information directly.

1 Like

I recommend the following:

  1. Use the Pomodoro technique for studying; the brain performs better with short study sessions followed by breaks. Try a pattern of 20 minutes of study and 10 minutes of rest.
  2. Use the grouping technique: take items that share a similar pattern and group them together. For example, in number theory—specifically regarding divisibility rules—the procedures for 2, 4, and 8 are very similar: a number divisible by 2 must end in 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8; for 4, it must end in 00 or be a multiple of 4; and for 8, it must end in 000 or be a multiple of 8. This applies to many areas, including biology; if ten names end in “-ino” and only two do not, you can use a mnemonic device by adding a distinctive object for the exceptions—though you can also manage without mnemonics.
  3. If you are looking for a question-and-answer system, keep in mind that it isn’t something you can master in a single day. It requires knowledge of logic, Aristotle’s ten categories, propositions, and so on. Bruno covers this—as well as data structures—very well.

The techniques I recommend practicing are the 20/10 split and pattern-based grouping (or grouping without specific patterns). Also, try using analogies, metaphors, and examples you create yourself; this approach is far more effective and will help you learn faster.

Example using Bruno’s system, which provides the question and the answer:
At the Center (The Cause and the Government): You place Jupiter as king on the throne, holding the scepter in his right hand, while beside him the youth Mercury opens the golden door (Attribute A), allowing light to enter the chamber.

When you are addressing an audience, taking an exam, or writing a text:

For Reciting: You mentally scan the Chamber. Upon seeing Jupiter and Mercury opening the golden door, you instantly recall: “The origin and cause of wise government…”

The system is built beforehand; you can use other methods—such as PAO, the Major System, the Method of Loci, etc.—and combine them all, but it is best to start with simple techniques like the chain method, the Method of Loci, and analogies involving well-known figures.