Aphantasia Video: Living without Mental Imagery (Wired)

Here’s an interesting video about #aphantasia.

7 Likes

How would memorization techniques like memory palaces work for someone that has aphantasia?

I imagine it would be quite challenging. Are there any alternative techniques those with aphantasia can use? Perhaps, even better than those that don’t have aphantasia?

2 Likes

It is not an issue. You can research Anthony Metivier the creator of Magnetic Memory as he has aphantasia.

1 Like

i have aphantasia and i developed a special method for me. instead of see pictures inside my mind i imagine the numbers and cards as images on the screen. for example the shape of 12 looks like a cat for me, so when i see the number 12 i see something that reminds me a cat

1 Like

Mnemonist and prolific memory researcher/writer Lynne Kelly also describes herself as having aphantasia and indicates that it isn’t a problem for her either. She’s described some of her experiences here: Aphantasia & memory – Lynne Kelly

See also the panel I conducted with Ed Catmull, co-founder of Pixar, who also has aphantasia: [Wired Health Aphantasia panel]

Both – video and panel – were part of an event I curate, Wired Health.

1 Like

Is it this one? I’m watching it now.

Yes.

1 Like

It’s interesting at 13:20 where Joel Pearson mentions multi-sensory aphantasia. There’s a related thread here: Inner Voice video

I wonder what other mental traits we don’t know about because people don’t talk about their mental processes as much as they could.

It was mentioned that aphantasia is more common in STEM. I wonder if there is any relationship with autism.

I didn’t listen to it yet, but it looks like there is a related podcast episode here: