Any one know a book or video course about algorithm basic to advanced

I want to learn algorithm get an idea before implementing the knowledge with a programming language ,always I found something about algorithm using python or java or something else,I want specific explanation about algorithm without using a programming language .

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you?:slight_smile:

No problem… there is also a video lecture series based on the book (the previous edition anyway), but it’s from back in the days when Netscape was still a thing…

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-046j-introduction-to-algorithms-sma-5503-fall-2005/video-lectures/

2 Likes

I appreciate your help thank you, it’s okay, if you posted here then it’s worthy to give it a try.

I’ve heard that these videos don’t use a specific language, but I haven’t watched them, so I’m not sure. https://www.coursera.org/specializations/algorithms

I’m reading Algorithms, 4th ed at the moment, but it uses Java. There are videos here.

I don’t know much about The Imposter’s Handbook, but I’ve seen it recommended, and I think it covers algorithms and data structures, possibly without a specific language.

The Algorithm Design Manual also tends to get recommended a lot, but it’s in C. I’m planning on reading that after the Sedgewick & Wayne book.

Edit: the book I’m reading is in Java, but the descriptions are pretty clear. I don’t know Java, but it’s understandable coming from languages like JavaScript and Python.

Here’s an example of methods to implement for a data structure:

and a sample diagram:

algorithms

I chose that one mainly because I liked the tables and diagrams. :slight_smile:

(CLRS looks great, but also more in-depth than I wanted at the moment.)

2 Likes

Oh thank you I will look at all the materials provided here, from you and other members, and choose what suits my level of understanding, and keep studying to understand and learn more.[off topic] (I made a major system for arabic language I need more time to tested and explained in english, my first language it’s arabic I will post the method soon, and I need to explain in good English for others)

2 Likes

I would be interested in seeing your Arabic Major System, because sometimes people ask questions about how to create a Major System in Arabic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Algorithms in Motion

Algorithms and Data Structures in Action

Grokking Algorithms

2 Likes

There is an bit more updated version of the videos from 2015. Sorry for not including the links as the website isn’t allowing me to post my reply with any links in it. Just Google for 6.046J 2015 and you should be able to find those videos. If you decide to use MIT OCW videos as your primary source of reference, make sure you watch the videos from Recitation Videos section as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update

Thankk you I appreciate that

2 Likes

I think Algorithm 4th edition will be good option!

2 Likes

Hello I posted a thread about arabic major system.

1 Like

It’s an interesting book so far.

You can get an idea about some of the content from this series of videos. (The rest of the videos are in the description of the first video.) It uses similar code to the book/course, but is a little more visual than the Coursera description. There isn’t any code until the last video of the series.

See also the channel.

This other channel also seems to cover concepts more than code.

2 Likes

Interesting! I will do my best to understand.

1 Like