Another 'My first Memory Palace' topic... (sorry about that...)

Hi everyone!
I’m afraid I will follow the usual script for many people’s first post here, so I apologize in advance to those who read the same for 100th time :slight_smile:
As I explained in my introduction post, I am new to the whole world of mnemonics and am doing a 30-day challange, working on my memory techniques every day for 30 days. The goal is to be able to create and use memory palaces, so I thought that I would also have to ‘train’ some fundamentals: linking images and the Mayor system. For the former I read a list of 20 (and increasing) random words, linking each one to the next in a story (I read a post in the forum criticizing the expression of ‘making a story’, but I hope it is clear what I mean…). For the latter… well, I am still working on it (english is not my mother language, so I felt I had to tweak the letter-number equivalents a bit. It is more intuitive for me, but the downside is that I have to generate the 99 Person-Action-Objects from scratch :frowning: ).

For the memory palace itself, after reading a lot I guessed that the best way to learn is to just start building one, and here is were my doubts began…
The goal is to learn the contents of my first aid manual.
The first issue is the design of my memory palace. A priori I do not know how big my memory palace has to be, but likely quiet big. I have read Gavino’s Massive Memory Palace System, but I think it is too advanced for me right now and I think it would overwhelm me right now. I am thinking to break the problem down into smaller memory palaces, one for each chapter. It might not be optimal, but I think it will be best for my learning purposes… Would you agree? I think this strategy will also be beneficial since I don’t know the final size of the whole thing, so I thought I would do something similar to what Langerhans describes he does for each lecture in this post.

I have read plenty about allocating ideas/concepts/words to each locus, but what is less clearly stated is how the information should be structured in advance. I guess I am just biased because in the Sherlock show people just ‘go’ into their ‘Mind palace’ and put the new information they want to store wherever in an ever-growing space. However, this ‘open’ way of adding information seems to challange my mental capabilities too much right now (does it really work like that for you guys?). Therefore, my idea is

1. Read each chapter first and make a bullet point summary.
  2. Once I have that, I will know how big my memory palace for that chapter has to be and I can build an appropriately sized memory palace
  3. Once I have the bullet point summary and the memory palace, link both together with the loci method
This means that I would have to build both elements (bullet point summary and memory palace) separately and then put them together. Is this how you would do it? It isn't clear to me after reading many 'build your first memory palace' pages, but it is the clearest way I could think of. Am I missing something?

I think I would start with less dense memory palaces (only ~5 loci in each room, for example), at least until my ‘visualization/virtual eye technique’ gets good enough to clearly visualize smaller details (and nested loci). Does that make sense?

Finally, would you keep a written version of the whole thing? For example a document linking each bullet point of the summary to each locus in the memory palace? Just in case I need to refresh it if I partially forget it (I can still not trust my memory that much!). I think Langerhans made a comment in that regard in the aforementioned post.

Thank you very much in advance for your time!