Ancient/Biblical Greek Alphabet mnemonics?

Hi,

do you know any mnemonic system to learn the Ancient/Biblical Greek Alphabet quickly?

Thanks!

2 Likes

@falcon2600
Do you want this ?
Example -

2 Likes

If you don’t mind… Yes, please!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks!

With the greatest respect, I see no resemblance between any of the alphabets presented in this thread, and the alphabets given here:

Maybe I’m missing something, in which case, I shall eat humble Π

Thanks.

2 Likes

maybe this links could help you:

3 Likes

Thanks!

I used to be a Hebrew teacher. Here’s a tip. If the letters all look alike you are looking in the wrong places.

Latin and Western writing is mostly written above the line, supralinear. As a result the heavy horizontal and base strokes are at the bottom of the letters and the distinguishing information is mostly in the top. Cover the bottom half of an English sentence and you will probably still be able to read it but if you cover the top half you struggle.

Hebrew is traditionally written infralinear, hanging from the line. So the heavy foundation strokes are at the top and the details at the bottom. You need to shift your attention to the base of the letters.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Just fyi: The biblical alphabet is not exactly ancient. The ancient Greek alphabet comprised of characters that became obsolete at a certain point (like the koppa). Over the years the language became more and more simplified. For example, the language was simplified during the hellenestic period which started on 323 BCE at which point the language had become more widespread.
Actually, the Greek alphabet found in the bible holds no difference from the modern one.

Having cleared that up, the alphabet can be memorized also through sounding it out, in the same fashion the English alphabet is learned (English is 2 letters longer). That’s an advantage of the alphabet-based languages.
A lot of Greek letters are used in English as well, albeit with a foreign to Greek pronunciation.
π is recognizable, for instance. Α, β, γ , δ, θ, ε, σ, φ are other letters that are often seen in formal sciences and elsewhere (alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, sigma, fi).
You could look for Greek words in the English language and find how they’re spelled in comparison. A search on etymology would help.
i.e. you could find words like: Alphabet - αλφαβήτα, etymology - ετυμολογία, glossary- γλωσσάριο
Letters like ο (ο-μικρόν (microbe should be a familiar word) = small o) and ω (ο-μέγα (mega should be a familiar word) = big o) offer a bit of help to their memorization.

The last two posts shared above by felipecalado share pretty good ideas, but I guess you don’t need me saying that now, I guess.^^

1 Like

I also don’t understand the relation between the pictures given by @Rajadodve786 and the Greek alphabet.

Search youtube for “greek alphabet songs” and listen a few times. You’ll get it quickly.

Also, practice transliterating English words or names into Greek. I wouldn’t limit to greek-based words. Work on your name, your friend’s names, anything else familiar.

Thanks!