A method for improving face recognition

Looks interesting:

Summary: Rather than trying to remember a face in its entirety, researchers say focus on the ears and specific facial markings like freckles, moles, or scars, to help build facial recognition skills.

Rather than focus on the face holistically—which is the usual way the human brain processes faces—participants were directed to look at two specific areas of the face that turned out to be the strongest diagnostic features.

“By looking at the ears and facial markings like moles, freckles and scars, people can boost their natural ability in this task, with training that lasts just six minutes,” lead researcher Dr. Alice Towler says.

“It turns out that breaking up a face into parts—like a jigsaw—is a useful strategy when matching unfamiliar faces. This is something that only a small number of face recognition professionals have been trained to do.”

8 Likes

This is actually a great strategy with memorization beyond faces

For example, if I want to remember anything or any kind of scene or imagery, I literally visualize the tiniest details as small as lines, edges, curves, specific patches of colors, etc.

Could work for audio too, for example, noticing the pitch, noticing the timber, noticing the rhythm, splitting it all up into small pieces and imagining those or meditating on those

4 Likes

Maybe I can take the occasion to re-mention a book that I found very useful for learning how to systematically observe and recall faces–the difference being that the article above offers a very quick approach to improving facial recognition, while the book below takes a longer, deeper approach. Here’s the link, in case anybody is interested:

Book: Mug Shots A Police Artists Guide To Remembering Faces (By Douglas P. Hinckle) - General Memory Chat - Art of Memory Forum

3 Likes