A goal of becoming a better learner

Hi, I just introduced to this forum and it seems great!
Hope everyone has a great day.

I am new to this field, and my goal is simple - I want to learn better and faster.

By learning, I am not talking about University tests etc / memorize different dates or stuff like this.

I am not a student, and my goal is just to learn better and faster the stuff I read -

Either a book, or a new marketing concept, or maybe new programming language / different articles.

Where would you start - while having that kind of goal in mind?
Improving your memory helps you to actually Learn better, not just memorize different facts like dates etc?

“You can have an amazing memory”, is a good start, or should I focus on a different book?

Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Hi =) and welcome to the community
I don’t know a lot about books
But you can start by getting familiar with the methods and techniques of memorisation

There’s a PDF here that explain the basics of each memory technique:

Also check the wiki section for more specific and common questions

Normaly there is a section for intresting books too, i just couldn’t find it.
Hope it helps :blush:

Have a nice day

1 Like

Hey for sure - Everything helps.

My main question tho, do you think I should focus on improving my memory?

I want to learn better - not for exams or something.

But when I view a certain Idea, a Certain book, learn a new program language, learn how to create a website etc -

I want to be able to remember what I learned as fast as I can, and overall have a faster understanding and remember the main concept better.

what do you think?

1 Like

I actually did not find the SUPERPOWER MEMOERY by him…

I only found “The Memory Book”, by Harry, but not the book you recomended

1 Like

Welcome @omerrob13
I suggest 3 Wonderful Titles, that mixs between effective learning strategy and Mnemonics

• Make it Stick
  • a Mind for Numbers
  • Your Memory : How it Works and How to Improve it

No worries when u search harry lorayne books u will see

1. Ageless memory
  2. The memory book
  3. Page a minute memory
  4. Good memory successful student
  5. A classic guide to memory

The contents of all these books is similar to that of Superpower Memory…so you can start from any of these books…all are great.

Yeah i think improving memory would make it easier for you to learn things as fast as possible, but if no need to memorise them for exams… maybe the better would be to practice thinking with images, in other worlds you should make yourself think and learn with images, if you read a concept try to visualise it first with full comprehension, for it to stick easily and fast, plus the memory techniques to help you store them

And the understanding part is really important, but i don’t have a way or a method to make it easier sorry :sweat_smile:

I don’t know if it’s clear, and sorry for any mistake, I’m not a native speaker

1 Like

In order to learn something faster and better, I usually apply one or multiple techniques from the following list:

1. Four stages of competence. I try to determine at which stage of competence I am in at the moment,and take steps accordingly:
  • Unconscious incompetence
  • Conscious incompetence
  • Conscious competence
  • Unconscious competence
  1. Deliberate practice.
  2. Block practice.
  3. Pomodora technique
  4. Pareto principal
  5. Focused and diffused mode of learning
  6. Mr Feynman’s technique
  7. Just in time learning
  8. Spaced Repetition System
  9. Visualization
    …etc!

How many of the above techniques you need to apply in a certain learning situation depends on the subject matter! For example,if you are trying to learn “keyboard typing”,you must apply 'Deliberate practice+Visualization+Pomodora Technique",etc,in combination…

Also,there is one thing that is so so important in speeding up our learning process. And it is: SLEEP

Sleep(7 to 9 hours) is the one thing that will help speed up the learning process multiple times.

And I personally like “Deliberate Rest” taking techniques. For example,YogaNidra,Progressive muscle relaxation techniques,etc…

Below books will help you understand how to practise and learn things faster and better…

1. Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

2.Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate Your Career

3. Peak: The New Science of Athletic Performance That is Revolutionizing Sports

4. Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning

5. Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success

9 Likes

Hey, I am all about mind numbers - already read it, one of the best books by far.

Do you think Make It Stick worth a read?
Or are the ideas are pretty much the same?

In terms of the memory book, I decided to go with Dominic OBrien one.
“you can have an amazing memory” - any thoughts?

Hey, thanks, I added them for the list.

I will probably read “The Mmeory book” in the near future, but I decided to go with Dominic one, “You can have an amazing memory”.

What do you think about it?

In terms of books, there is a reason to try and read a couple of them - or they pretty much repeat themself and have the same idea?

Amazing! Thank you so much!
As a “Mind For Numbers” fan, and “Hyper Focus” guy,
I use some of the methods you describe -

Recalling, spaced repetition - I developed an algorithm for me that make me recall the material, Pomodoro (just with bigger intervals), “Deep breaks” etc…

Unfortunately, I did not get exactly what you mean by -
Deliberate / Block practice, parteo principal - or how you apply it, and just in time learning.

In terms of books - I am planing to read Ultra Learning after I read “Mind for Numbers” -
Should I consider adding “Make It stick”, or the ideas are pretty much the same?
The same question for Peak - secretes from the new science.
Should I consider adding it as well, or the idea is the same as “mind for numbers”, Make it stick, ultraleraning etc?

Make it Stick is more focused on Learning than Memorizing, In contrast to “Your Memory”, but the ideas are pretty much the same. “A Mind for Numbers” have some extra ideas: Focused and diffuse modes of thinking, Procastination, You can Skip the rest.

Very practical, the previous books -especially Make it Stick- are written in scientific language, some people might get bored of them.

That is upto you only which one u like to read…I would personally read and recommend Harry Lorayne over any other author…!!

Here is an article on Deliberate practice: Deliberate Practice: What It Is and How to Use It

Here is an article on Parteo principal: Understanding the Pareto Principle (The 80/20 Rule)

Here is an article on “Just in time learning”: What is the Just in Time Learning Theory?

“Make it stick” is focused on learning theories based on ‘science’. The book highlights scientifically valid ideas. This is why,I like it. "Mind For Numbers” has only one interesting theory-Focused and Diffused mood of learning. Barbara emphasizes on “Pomodora Technique”,too. Other than these two ideas,I didn’t find anything else interesting in the book! But "Mind For Numbers” is a good read!

Among all “learning how to learn” type books, “Peak” by Anders Ericsson is the best,in my opinion. This book is all about achieving ‘mastery’ in a subject. It highlights the theory of Deliberate Practice(how to practice more effeciently,etc). I also like its emphasize on “Reflective thinking”(meta learning/analysis) theory…

Unlike other books,Peak - secretes from the new science is a book for achieving mastery-mastery at the level of Mozart,Beethoven,Kasparov,etc!

Each book has a different flavor. I love going through them all… The rest is your choice! :slight_smile:

1 Like