8 Year Spell of Creative Juices Squeezed Dry

Goal:
Begin the habit of daily mnemonics practice (basic systems like peg lists)

Problem:
Creativity. I know the more I practice creative memorable thinking the easier it will become. BUT there seems to be something like the equivalent of “writer’s block” except when it comes to Mnemonics. I read Moonwalking With Einstein, and he walks you through a grocery list. I still remember items from that list 8 years later because he described such wacky obscure things, like to remember cottage cheese on the grocery shopping list (he said to use your home as the memory palace) imagine Michael Phelps in a swimming pool of cottage cheese.

That’s memorable! But most of the time when a creative thought is described its easy for me to imagine, but difficult, extremely difficult for me to initially create a memorable enough image or story in my mind for something to stick.

I’ve memorized a couple of chapters worth of Bible verses, mainly when I was 13-16 ish years old (I’m now 25). But I used rote memorization. Whenever I quote those things nothing runs through my mind, no pictures, the words just flow off the “tongue” so to speak.

Desired Result:

• Find books, articles, systems, videos, to help aid in my creative Juices
  • Mental model ideas: Things you use to aid in Creativity to remember your Mnemonic Systems

Psychological Personality Context:
According to the Big 5 Personality Model (I took the IPIP-NEO personality assessment) here are my results (based on percentile) for “Openness to Experience” aka my artistic creative side. This may help add context so that a work-around or specific practices can be implemented to increase how I think in regards to creativity.

• Imagination 1
  • Artistic Interest 1
  • Emotionality 53
  • Adventurousness 61
  • Intellect 12
  • Liberalism 4

Descriptions of the facets:
Imagination. To imaginative individuals, the real world is often too plain and ordinary. High scorers on this scale use fantasy as a way of creating a richer, more interesting world. Low scorers are on this scale are more oriented to facts than fantasy. Your level of imagination is low.

Artistic Interests. High scorers on this scale love beauty, both in art and in nature. They become easily involved and absorbed in artistic and natural events. They are not necessarily artistically trained nor talented, although many will be. The defining features of this scale are , and natural and artificial beauty. Low scorers lack aesthetic sensitivity and interest in the arts. Your level of artistic interests is low.

Emotionality. Persons high on Emotionality have good access to and awareness of their own feelings. Low scorers are less aware of their feelings and tend not to express their emotions openly. Your level of emotionality is average.

Adventurousness. High scorers on adventurousness are eager to try new activities, travel to foreign lands, and experience different things. They find familiarity and routine boring, and will take a new route home just because it is different. Low scorers tend to feel uncomfortable with change and prefer familiar routines. Your level of adventurousness is average.

Intellect. Intellect and artistic interests are the two most important, central aspects of openness to experience. High scorers on Intellect love to play with ideas. They are open-minded to new and unusual ideas and like to debate intellectual issues. They enjoy riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers. Low scorers on Intellect prefer dealing with either people or things rather than ideas. They regard intellectual exercises as a waste of time. Intellect should be equated with intelligence. Intellect is an intellectual style, not an intellectual ability, although high scorers on Intellect score higher than low-Intellect individuals on standardized intelligence tests. Your level of intellect is low.

Liberalism. Psychological liberalism refers to a readiness to challenge authority, convention, and traditional values. In its most extreme form, psychological liberalism can even represent outright hostility toward rules, sympathy for law-breakers, and a love of ambiguity, chaos, and disorder. Psychological conservatives prefer the security and stability brought by conformity to tradition. Psychological liberalism and conservatism are not identical to political affiliation, but certainly, incline individuals toward certain political parties. Your level of liberalism is low.

1 Like

Is it an online test?

Here’s this one

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/ipipneo300.htm

Warnings about this 300-Item Version of the IPIP-NEO

-Best estimates indicate that the 300-item version of the IPIP-NEO produces a report over 99% of the time.
-Computer experts have been unable to identify the software or hardware malfunctions that sometimes prevent successful scoring and feedback.
-Spending 30-40 minutes answering 300 questions but getting no feedback can leave you angry and frustrated.

:grinning:
So there’s a 120 questions version

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/ipipneo120.htm

2 Likes

Hey @Josh Yes, @vector shared the exact one I took (the 300 question version).

It was an assessment shared with me by a psychologist who is really smart with personality stuff.

the IPIP-NEO is based on the Big 5 model, which is summed up in the acronym “OCEAN”.

Openness to experience
Consciousness
Extraversion
Agreeableness
Neuroticism

Each category has 6 subcategories. In my previous post, I expanded on the 6 subcategories of “Openness to experience”.

My goal is to gain perspective into the mental models of how people who are more creative (higher in Openness to experience) so that I can change the currently lacking mental models I have in that realm of my psyche.

1 Like

took the 300 one : image

In what exact way?

1 Like

Creative people use different areas of their brain than others(If I remember correctly),

You can try to listen to music that will cause you to use different areas of your brain than you do now,

When I did this I got more creative ideas than I would normally get,

And,

Have a Great Day.

2 Likes

Having a well organised review system is key. I need to re-establish one myself. Check out the spaced repetition page on the wiki.

It’s literally the creation part, then.

Creativity is generally a lot of reworking existing things. Much as we like to think everything arises from nothing, almost everything is a reshuffle of our experiences, and always from our own interpretations. So I suggest expanding your experiences in things that are considered creative, and put together some questions to ask about and around those things. You don’t have to become an art expert to try to understand the feel of balance in a painting or photograph, or to determine the purpose of that figure in the composition, but asking questions about how those things come together and why, and comparing them with other examples, can stir creative connections.

Asking questions, even if you can’t find the answers, means you can at least try to invent the answers, and that’s giving yourself permission to create. The thing to remember is: you don’t have to be right! You’re just trying it out for yourself. Be bold but more importantly, be free. Try to imagine things that don’t combine together, and find how they can. If you can’t think of things, go through some of the PAO and similar lists people have posted around here, and try to combine them at random - roll some dice, pick numbers out of a hat, or use a deck of cards, and try a few out, just as a mental exercise.

One of the “tools” people use is to have a kind of checklist of things to improve their images with.

• SMASHIN’ SCOPE (link to a pdf is on this wiki page) from Tony Buzan. This is a set of ways to manipulate the image to make it more interesting.

• KAVE COGS (example of it in that page) from Anthony @metivier. This is a set of experiential components to make an image more “real” in the mind.

I prefer KAVE COGS. There’s crossover between the two, but Metivier’s mnemonic acronym is superior to recall, being more useful in the moment as it is both shorter and without repetition of letters - something that always bugs me in mnemonic acronyms (heh, is this a mnemonic mnemonic acronym? :wink: ). But to try out new ideas, Buzan’s can help you think of something, so I recommend checking it out, maybe using that to test for a more creative idea when you’re stuck.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes