"30 Minutes of Aerobic Exercise Supercharges Semantic Memory"

“30 Minutes of Aerobic Exercise Supercharges Semantic Memory”

As the authors explain, “A single 10-minute bout of very light-intensity exercise (30% VO2 max effort) results in rapid enhancement in pattern separation and an increase in functional connectivity between hippocampal DG/CA3 and cortical regions (i.e., parahippocampal, angular, and fusiform gyri). These results suggest that brief, very light exercise rapidly enhances hippocampal memory function.”

Increasingly, the holy grail for neuroscientists studying the brain benefits of exercise is to dial in on the optimal “dose” (intensity × duration) of cardiovascular exercise or easy/light movement that is required to elicit various cognitive outcomes in the short- and long-term.

This week, a new study from the University of Maryland, “Semantic Memory Activation After Acute Exercise in Healthy Older Adults,” was published online ahead of print in the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society . This research advances our understanding of the dose-response needed to activate brain circuits associated with semantic memory. Generally speaking, this refers to memories that relate to language, words, and names.

Article:
30 Minutes of Aerobic Exercise Supercharges Semantic Memory

Related:

7 Likes

Intriguing!

Does one exercise before or after knowledge and/or language acquisition to see benefits?

Id imagine before and after(after review 1) and maybe during if the session is long.

You could read the paper to see how they did it.

I’d be interested to learn about what light exercises people find helpful for alertness and memory performance

Many thanks for posting this link.

I’m too poor to be able to afford the price.

I’d be interested to learn about what light exercises people find helpful for alertness and memory performance

TaiChi or Qigong!! Not sure about Yoga! But because TaiChi is a slow movement exercise, which also enhances attention span of the practitioner due to its meditative nature, I find TaiChi very energetic and helpful for attention and memory!

Heh. It’s openly available. For the price of a mouse click.