1000 object major system

Today, I have chosen to embark on the journey to create 1000 images for all the numbers 000 through 999. I will be using the major system, slightly modified. I will post details later.

This blog post is primarily created to have a place to put updates and things of that nature regarding this quest.

I already have a 100 number PAO, but feel like just using objects 000-999 will be more efficient in time. People(unless they’re superhuman, or represent an archetype such as firefighter or librarian), are pretty hard to remember for me. Objects seem like the best way to go.

First thing I have to do is modify my existing (modified) major system of :1-t/d 2-n 3-m 4-r 5-c/k 6-g 7-l 8-f/v 9-p/b and add such things as hard and soft c’s or g’s, ch’s, sh’s and others. I will again post updates to this later.

The second thing I will be doing is go over different groups of 100 numbers every day for 10 days, aiming to create images for at least 60 percent of them this first run through.

COMPLETED 3/22/14

Click HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsglTHBI86hIdG8zZWFob2pSbXNJeDZWMDFCNmY0SWc&usp=sharing) for the the most recent version of the 1000 object system. It contains the newest changes that might not be reflected in the comments below.
Links:
Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkQ1pD-VqkI5dG5oa1l3S3p4R2JzUnJFQkw3emRVWEE&usp=sharing) is my existing 120 number (0-9, .0-.9, 00-99) PAO.
Here is my modified major system. The biggest change is switching 5(C/K) and 7(L).
Card system explained.

Here is each number segment:
000-099
100-199
200-299
300-399
400-499
500-599 and 600-699
700-799
800-899
900-999

3 Likes

Excellent choice.
A lot of work, but well worth it!

Good luck on this journey.

w00t

Thank you both.

Here is my new modified major system:
0- S/Z/soft c(cell, city)
1- T/D
2- N
3- M
4- R
5- K/hard C(Cat, cup)/hard G(God, gullible)/hard Ch(ache, stomach)/q/qu
6- Soft g(gerbil, germs)/sh/soft ch(chess, chisel)/J
7- L
8- F/V/PH/Soft th(thesaurus)
9- P/B

The L is still 7, switching it to 5 seems counter-intuitive. I bolded any modifications or additions to the old version.

I will be using SOME people, but I aim primarily for objects.

I found two websites that transcribe numbers into words. 1 2. I will be using some of these to help me out, taking care that my various modifications to the major system are accounted for.

1 Like

I’m posting my private message conversation with LociInTheSky regarding this; I feel it might help others that are in a similar situation or are thinking of building a 1000 image system.

^^^ My original series of questions designed to help me optimally create this list and to avoid beginners mistakes by asking someone who has already done it. I was not sure whether to use a consonant-vowel-consonant system like Ben, or whether just to stick with the major system.

^^^^ I listened to Lance’s advice and tried both systems myself. I’ll summarize the next couple messages. I used a random number generator to pick ~20 numbers 000-999, then tried both systems on them. From this I realized that I would much prefer the major system. With the ben system, maybe 20% of words automatically work, the others just don’t. I have a lot more flexibility and options with the major system. Lance then asked me about why my major system is so weird. He also gave me all his images for those ~20 random numbers. I decided to take his advice about adding more sounds to the major system. This creates more options, and is not as hard as I thought it would be. I decided to look through 100 objects a day for 10 days, aiming for maybe 60% filled out. Lance gave some advice on phonetics, and also about using people. With people, he recommended to always have a specific person picked out; even if my major system image is a fireman, I should pick a specific one, to know them in detail.

Bateman

Updated comment: Here is my now complete 900-999 list. Thanks to Lance for the hardest 9; 918 935 937 960 968 983 988 993 and 998. Without further ado;

900- Bass(fish)/Pizza*
Beast/Pasta
Bison
Possum
Pisser
Bazooka
Busdriver!
Basilisk*
Beeshive
Bishop(sh is 6)
910- Bats
Potato
Baton
Bottom(ass)
Battery
Batik(tyedye)
Eyepatch
Bottle/Battle ax
Butterfly
Body Bag
920- Pencil
Bandana/Peanut
Banana
Bonemeal
Banner*
Binoculars
Bong
Pinhole*(camera)
Bowie Knife
Beanbag
930- Palms*
Behemoth
Apeman
Boomerang(cheat)
Bomber (plane)
Pumpkin
Pomegranate
Pommel horse
Behemoth
Boombox/Pumpkin
940- Breasts
Parrot
Barn*
Broom
Barrier*
Brick
Birch*
Barell/Pearl
Briefcase
Barbell
950- Pigs
Bucket
Bacon
Webcam
Bookworm
Peacock
Package
Bagel
Buckthorn
Backpack
960- Bushes
Beechwood
Pigeon
Pajamas
Pitcher
Bushwhacker(drink)
Baggage*
Bachelor(stripper)
Pitchfork
Bagpipes/Beach Ball
970- Police (Officer)
Bullet
Balloon
Plum
Ballerina
Black Olive
Bleach
Balalaika
Pelvis
Blueberry
980- Bath Salts*
Bath Tub
Boxthorn
Pavement
Beaver
Beefcake
Boxfish
Buffalo
Puff fish
Puff Puff(Bowl)
990- Popsicle
Puppet
Baboon
Peppermint
Paperclip
Popcorn
Parachute
Bible
Babyface
999- Blue Berry Pie
*= NOT SURE ABOUT

I’m doing the 700’s right now to finish the first half 500-999 of this. The total number of words I already have is 333. 1/3rd of the way through. Whew. After I finish the 700s, I will fill in at least 80% of all numbers in the second half, 500-599 600-699 700-799 and 800-899 (900’s are finished 100%). I am still on track, and even a bit ahead of it. I can easily convert 512 of my images into a 9 digit binary system when I’m done. I have had an idea for how to convert the 3 digit system as efficiently as possible into 10 digits of binary. It would have to be 4-3-3, with the 3’s being very easy, since there is only 8 options(000-s/z/c 001- t/d etc). The 4s would have to be solved by assigning a consonant to each of the 16 possibilities. They would be unevenly balanced, but this would reduce the amount of images you have to add greatly. Here is an example system for that:

First consonant:

0000- S
0001- Z/C
0010- T
0011- D
0100- N
0101- M
0110- R
0111- K
1000- C/Q/hard ch
1001- G(hard or soft)
1010- J/Sh/soft ch
1011- L
1100- F
1101- V/Ph/th
1110- P
1111- B

Like this, one would only have to cheat on a few images as compared to making an additional 512 brand new ones. This is mostly for other people, I will actually be using a 9 digit system, in a matrix pattern of 3x3.

I will post my 700’s here soon, when I finish them. I will also update the other comments if I manage to finish another complete segment.

I was doing my preliminary training with my not yet stabilized pao when I got cold feet. Maybe I shall go for a 1000-list right away. As you say it should be more efficient over time. If I do that it will take me longer to be operational but maybe it’s worth it? I tried using the ben system but found it hard in my language. Maybe your path of just assigning consonants and taking whatever vowel fits is better in Swedish. Since the translation from numbers to consonants and vice versa is already automated for me it should at least be quick to figure out what sounds I’m looking for. I imagine it’s not so hard after all to find the right word/image once you have thought it a few times? Am I underestimating the task? Should I go for making my pao really good first or is it a working path to aim for a 1000 list right away?

I would recommend first making at least a 100 object list. Practice with them, learn from them. Then when you are proficient, you can decide whether you want to increase it to 1000 or a PAO system. This is a pretty big time investment; I’m only halfway done so far, and the last 15% are supposedly the hardest part of it all. I found the ben system hard even in english :stuck_out_tongue: For MOST of the numbers, you can think of an image after repeating the consonants a bunch of times. I recommend using websites that list nouns or objects to help you though; such as here. I recommend trying to find an equivalent of that website in Swedish. Thats how I do it, and it’s been working very well so far, but for other people they might need to think of every object for themselves. For most numbers it’s not so hard to think of an image, but for the remainder (maybe 5-15%) you will have to cheat slightly. The most common cheat for me is skipping an R, for example 652 is a juggernaut, I omitted the R from the count.

The most important questions are: What do you hope to accomplish with these techniques? What are your goals? Do you need a 1000 object list?

Edit: I don’t mean to scare you off, try it if you want to. It does take some time though.

Hmm, I’m mostly just trying to be good at remembering numbers and cards because it’s fun. Also if something like this is possible it seems like a waste not to try learn it…

Well, there’s only one Finnish in the ranking. If I get good enough to go to some competetion and get some official scores I could easily become the second best in Finland :slight_smile:

I actually think I will try to construct a 1000-list AND train my 100-list. Why choose? :slight_smile:

/Christian

My advice would be: start with a 100 list and become proficient with this.
From there extrapolate how much time a 1000 list would cost you.
That way you can offset it against the gain.

I think a lot of people on this forum started out enthusiastically with a 1000 list and become disenchanted when realized exactly how much work this is.

Start with a solid 100 list. This is the foundation on which a bigger list is built.

I have had to take a break for a couple days, personal reasons, but I will be back to creating this soon. I agree with Kinma. I also suggest if you really want to try this to start by creating a COMPLETE 100 number segment ie 600-699. This will tell you whether you want to do it 9 more times. Don’t fill in as many as you can 000-999 first; first do a complete one hundred

OK, I will try that. It seems like sound advice. Thanks!

No problem. Good luck, tell us how it goes.

Back to the topic; I am exactly 80% complete with the numbers 500 through 999. I have 400 out of those 500 filled. I will be doing the other half now, I feel like it should be a little easier, the consonants seem more common, especially T/D and R(EDIT: Actually, according to this, the letter t is at the start of most words(16%), with s and h following pretty far behind(7%) R isn’t that common as a starting letter of words. Makes me wonder why h and w aren’t included in the major system; they’re very common as the start of words.). Once I am 100% done with my complete 1000 Object list(Estimated 7-11 days), I will be doing several things;
a) Go through the list, checking that all of them are objects(or other things) that can be visualized, highlight the ones that I can’t visualize yet, but have pictures online. Replace all the ones that cannot be visualized.
b) Divide all the objects into groups, ie: Monsters, People, large objects, small objects, vehicles. This will later help with recall; If I can’t recall the exact object but I know it was a vehicle, I only have ~50 to go through, as opposed to being completely lost. Lance advised this. I will also use this to check for objects that are too similar and will eliminate and replace those as well.
c) I will link all objects to my previous PAO list. Each person from my old system will hold 10 items that are linked together. For example, 600 through 609 would be linked to 60, which is Gus. This will ensure that they are all in my memory, and I can review them easily anywhere.
d) I will review the objects enough so that I know what each number is represented by. I will also go through, in order and backwards my complete list. Once I can do this (one-way) in 30 minutes(approximately 1.9 seconds per image), I will start memorizing with it.
e) I will assign the first 512 images to binary code, which I will be doing in a 3x3 matrix form. I will also organize these according to shape.
f)Practice, practice, practice.

Edit: And then of course, create 352 more images to complete the 2 card 2 block system. If anyone doesn’t know, this system uses half the images of a Ben system (1352 as opposed to 2704) by using loci to indicate which card it is. Basically, if 2card blocks start with the same color, ie black, you just link them in the same locus. If the color switches to red, you move to the next locus and link redfirst until you get a black cardfirst. This leads to a random amount of loci needed, anywhere between 1 and 26, but from what I heard it balances out, almost always falling between 9-16 loci.

891 “fibbed” (Pinnochio) has been a good one for me since it kind of has a built in action that is extremely bizarre.

This list is really coming along…

You wasted 862 on “fishnet?” To each his own…

You have both “pig” and “pigs” in there. Not necessarily a problem depending on the images, but just pointing that out if you didn’t notice yet. 978 is pig farm for me, kind of some pigs in the mud with a fence around them, distinct from 970 which is just pig, and though I have always felt like I shouldn’t have them both in my list, I haven’t confused them once.

Lance, I would edit the link here to this: https://artofmemory.com/blogs/bateman/1000-object-major-system-4754.html. I feel it’s a lot more beneficial to read this blog from the top up, not from that comment :stuck_out_tongue:

Meh the 800’s are hard. Yea, I’ll change the pig thing later as I’ve said. Right now it’s just pure filling out as much as possible. Whats wrong with 862 being fishnet?

Anyway, due to a very recent upsurge in my mood, and general outlook on life(plus a massive amount of caffeine), I filled out maybe ~200 objects today, and it’s only 2 PM. There are approximately 670 objects completed already. 2/3rds of the way there. Or maybe closer to 1/2 because the last objects are hardest. I will now try to finish up the 800’s list. Here is my 100’s list so far, only 68 filled out, I will edit it later when It’s complete.
----------------
UPDATE
3/12/14 Thanks to Lance for the hardest 6: 106 118 163 167 168 198- Completed 100 list:

100- Tissues
Toast
Watson
Tasmanian Devil
Taser
Tusk
Disk jockey
Tassel
Adhesive
Teaspoon
110- Dots
Ditto
Titan
Totem
Teeter Totter
Static
Ditch
Doodle
Totof(wizard of oz)
Do Do Bird
120- Dunce
Tent
Tanning Bed
Denim/Dynamite
Toner
Tunic?
Tangerine
Tunnel
Tinfoil
Tenpin
130- Atoms
Tomato
Diamond
Dominoes
Tumor
Tomahawk
Time Traveler
Oatmeal
Demophile(Butterfly)
Tampon
140- Dress
Dart
Tron/Drone
Trombone/Terminator
Drawer/Terrier/Dryer
Truck
Treasure Box
Troll/Drill
Trophy
Trap(Bear)
150- Suitcase
Duct Tape
Token/Tycoon
Duckmole
Tiger
Taxicab
Taco Truck
Tequila
TigeFish
Teacup
160- Stitches
Statute(statue)
Doughnut
Toejam
Dagger
Tow Truck
Dishwasher
Dishliquid
Dodge Viper
Dodgeball
170- Doll House
Toilet
Talon
Dalmatian
Dollar
Tulcan
Tillage
Tail Light
Dolphin
Tulip*
180- Tofu
Deathadder(mouse)
Headphones
Dive mask
Diver
Daifuku
Dhufish
Duffel Bag
Toffee
Tetheball
190- Tea Biscuit
Teapot
Taipan
Topmast
Diaper
Tobacco
Stopwatch
Tablet
Topf(pot german)
199- Tape Player

Update- 3/9/14
I have 725/1000 images picked. Here is how many I’m missing from each:

000-099=none
100-199= 32
200-299= 71(Haven’t really worked on this one much)
300-399= 51(Nor this one)
400-499= 38
500-599= none
600-699= 39
700-799= 28
800-899= 16
900-999= none

Edit: Also, I think I can guess your 862 Lance. I see why you got all “Why did you waste it on fishnet?”. I realize now that I have no erotic or gory images really. They would probably be more memorable.

I’ll be doing the 200’s now. I’m aiming for 75-80% complete today.

UPDATE 3/12/14- 150 images left to complete.

200-299- 9 left
300-399- 32 left
400-499- 34 left
600-699- 39 left
700-799- 28 left
800-899- 7 left

Completed 3/12/14. Thanks to Lance for the hardest 8: 234, 269, 253, 282, 288, 289, 296 and 298
The new total is 860/1000

200- Noses
Nest
Insane(clown posse)
Newsman
Nosering
Nosegay
Nose Job/Trimmer
Nozzle
Nose flute
Newspaper
210- Knights/Nuts/Newts
Antidote
Antenna
Nutmeg
Underwear
Indigo/Nutcracker
Sandwich
Needle/Noodle
Native American
Needle Pusher
220- Nuns
Neanderthal
Nanny/ Neon
Gnome
Nine Iron
Nun Chucks
Ninja
Nunlet
Honeyanths
Nanobot
230- Enemas
Inmate/Nomad
Anemone
Inumimi(anime)
Nimrod
Anemic
An Match
Neem oil
Nymph
Name Badge
240- Nurse
Nerd
Neuron(Different from 248)
An Arm
Anorexia(cheat)
Anorak
Nerve Agent
Narwhal
Nerve
An Orb
250- Wings
Nugget/Ingot
Anakin
Nec®omancer
Anchor
Inkk
Hanke®chief
Nuclear Bomb
Anchovy
Neck Brace
260- Nachos
Night
Engine
Enigma
Neutrino*
Nightcrawler
Nightshade
Night Elf
Night Vision Goggles
An Ashbowl
270- Nails
Noel Toy
Nylon
An Elmo
Inhaler
Nail Clipper
Nailgun
Nail Holes
Nail File
Nail Polish
280- Navy Seal
Knives
An Oven
Nava(l) Mine
On fire
Infrared
Wine fish(fish in a bottle)
Anvil
In Vivo(vitro)
Nova Bomb
290- Honeybees
Honeypot
Honey bun
Naboom
Sniper
Napkin
Nuptial
Nebula/Napalm
Naptha(VM&P)
299- Nappy hair

LociInTheSky explains it quite well here:

Here is the original comment.

Ha! Yes, it is hard to describe how to actually use it without flooding the page with words. But I swear, using it is not as difficult as understanding the description of it! xD