What is your strategy for fitness and nutrition?

Thanks for researching more into it r30. I of course agree with you completely.

rtr: I have also read the 4 hour body by tim ferriss(and both his other books) at least 4 times, and used to be a devout fan of his methods. There are many unanswered questions and just plain manipulations in that book. Cheap camera manipulation tricks to show how much more muscle he gained here. Using muscle memory to regain some muscle(not as much as he claimed), which is much much easier than actually gaining muscle, and then tricking us into thinking his weight has been stable over the past 30(?) years or so here . And there is a whole bunch of other things wrong with his book and him…

Keeping that in mind, I did find his diet useful, losing 18 pounds in like 3-4 months(I was somewhere between lean and average to begin with, and I’m 5’ 7’’). It’s really easy to follow as you’ve said, and Saturdays are pretty great. There are also other useful things in his book, like polyphasic sleep, or the general IDEA of weightlifting to absolute muscle failure, but don’t take everything he says as gospel. As you can see from the pictures, he is willing to deceive you.

Bateman

Edit: Also rtr, your weight can vary (depending on your size) anywhere from 3 to 10 pounds depending on how much you ate and drank. If I don’t eat for a whole day, and drink little, I’ll be 8-9 pounds lighter than I will be after 4 hours of eating and then drinking a lot of water. Water weight.

I wholeheartedly agree with your views on Tim Ferris, Bateman. His book is bad journalism and even worse science (I’ve only read 4-hour body).

I guess a lot of people in here are familiar with or have read Moonwalking with Einstein. In it Foer demonstrates what good investigative / immersive journalism looks like. Tim Ferris is a money-hungry anecdotal fraud.

That being said I do think that time-management can make an improvement of your fitness level/goal (as well as other parts of life), but it’s hardly a big scientific revolution that standing around chatting at the gym doesn’t make you ripped!

There seems to be a lot of badmouthing of cardio so I just wanna make a few points. While it is true that weight lifting increases muscle mass which in turn increases your basal metabolic rate (i.e. caloric expenditure at rest) lifting does not provide a lot of the benefits of cardio; such as increasing peripheral circulation, inducing a heart rate of 150+ for several minutes (preferably more than 15), reduces risk for arthritis, reduces plaque build-up (i.e. arteriosclerosis).

That last one is important. Regular recreational runners reduce their risk of cardiac events and death significantly compared to non-runners. That is information based on randomized trials, not a Tim Ferris fact.

Heavy squats. Your heart rate will be very increased for several minutes. Peripheral circulation can be improved by alternate hot-cold showers, 1 minute cold 1 minute hot repeat a couple times… Blood goes more towards organs when in cold water, and more towards skin in hot…

I’m not sure about arthritis, but bone mineral density is significantly higher in weight lifters, which probably contributes to preventing arthiritis.

I have no clue about plaque build up, probably diet contributes to it.

Edit: Would also like to add that running contributes to a ton of different injuries in the legs, just general deterioration of tissue, gtg

Bateman

Exactly which toxins are you talking about?

I have only ever had a diet of foods like this. Flamin’ hot cheetos, fast food (usually fried chicken or some mysterious form of reconstituted chicken product) ice cream, little debbie snackerinos of every sort, popcorn, mountain dew code red and the like.

Actually I haven’t thought about this in a long time but my first job when I was 17 was at the carousel in the food court in the mall. The food court was a little expensive, and this was back at a time when Taco Bell sold the 1/2 lb. Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito for just $0.99 and the chicken quesadilla for $1.29 (my, what has changed in just ten years…). I went to work for 5 hrs per day, 5 days per week. Every shift - every shift - I would get some combination of cheesy bean and rice burritos and chicken quesadillas before and then again after my shift. This is just how I have eaten my whole life. But intellectually I’ve always been ahead of the pack, and it should be said based on my speed and clarity of thought that I have a brain that functions well by most standards, or at the very least does not show signs of being poisoned. It’s possible that I ought to have been a person of rare genius who missed the boat after 25 years of sheer nutritional deprivation, but something about that just seems fishy to me. Perhaps it’s just because “rare” means “rare,” so it’s an implausible explanation from the start.

I am strange…as in it tends to be apparent that I am different in ways that are not easy to define, some might say aberrant behavior. Nothing violent, I’m just apathetic about the observation of social mores or even oblivious of them at times, which is of no concern to me. The obsessiveness and the insomnia too…and the paradoxical combination of presence and an aloofness that is intangible yet detectable by myself and others. I wonder if you guys can tell that I’m sort of crazy for lack of a better word. Is that apparent, or do I just seem like an Average Joe over the internet?

That’s a little off topic. But what I was getting at was that maybe the toxic consequences of never eating anything that is food, oh, excuse the Freudian Slip, never eating anything that is good for me manifest in these ways rather than dulled cognition. It would explain away the ‘intrinsic’ nature of the euphemistic specialness that I have always allowed myself to believe was some combination of essential properties of my self (and thus to be appreciative of the uniqueness of my being) in a single stroke.

Oh well, you can’t win 'em all.

So can you suggest some guidelines for eating more healthy that would require the absolute bare minimum of research, preparation, and any other cost of money or time?

Oh, and also I have been sleeping much more since the USAMC ended. >8 hours per night about 5 days per week. It’s funny: after I slept for 3 days in a row for like 9 hours each night for the first time in years, the streak was over. I could have continued alternating sleep and sleepless nights forever I think, but once my brain got a little taste of a regular sleep cycle, it said “No, you can’t do that anymore.” Now when I stay up it is largely because I take a lot of caffeine to be able to do it because I’m so used to 24 hour days that it feels like the weeks just fly by without my having time to get anything done. So I have to stay up once or twice a week to stay sane. :slight_smile:
"

You seemed normal enough other than the mentions of sleeping like 3 nights a week. One thread here though had a mention of your movie or something, and after watching that you seemed… odd. But hey, people are different. Yeah.

Bateman

Edit: But then again, a lot of the great minds were quite eccentric and peculiar. And a lot of them had unusual sleeping schedules…

I think so, but I don’t know. If it doesn’t affect you now while you’re young, it probably will catch up eventually. I have a lot of trouble managing eating and drinking properly and it increasingly has taken its toll after many years.

Things that work in your 20s can start to catch up to you in your 30s, and the negative effects can hit you before you know what happened.

I feel great when I eat a very strict diet like this. It is vegan, but I think it would benefit from adding a couple of eggs per week. My problem is that I tend to be all-or-nothing and if I add the eggs, the rest of it falls apart.

Side note: I have a strong feeling that vitamins and supplements are unhealthy. See also: “Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements” and this discussion. Just a personal opinion though.

I’ve read that the sugars in fruits are okay if you eat the whole fruit. The more sugary fruit has, the more fiber it contains, and that offsets the sugar absorption. This isn’t the original article that I read, but it’s on the same topic:

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/

I had the same kind of thoughts, that I was different but didn’t know exactly how, until I was diagnosed with ADD in my twenties. Once I read about ADD, I remember thinking I had never seen anything that I related with so well. Not saying you have ADD but there might be something undiagnosed. It’s a huge benefit to know what you’re dealing with.

The human body is good at adapting to a poor diet. Don’t let that fool you into thinking you won’t run into major problems long term. You will eventually and it might be too late then. You would be very wise to get on a healthier diet. I notice a huge difference in my mental state when I eat better. If I cut out sugar for a few days I feel like a super hero.

I did the slow carb diet which is dead simple, and while losing some weight was nice, the biggest benefit is how much better I felt. Here is a quick summary:

Here’s what I do: canned green beans or frozen broccoli, canned pinto beans or refried beans. For green beans and pinto beans, cook in a pot with a little butter, salt, and pepper. You can get frozen broccoli that you throw the entire bag in the microwave. If I’m doing green/pinto beans I usually add guacamole. Wholly Guacamole makes individual single serving packs. For the protein component, sometimes I cook eggs or make taco meat, but the simplest solution is a protein shake. I do Premier Protein chocolate shakes. On Sundays I cook up a big batch of green beans and pinto beans for the week. Makes following the diet all week very simple. For snacks I usually eat cashews. Not technically on the slow carb diet, but I’m not doing it for weight loss anymore, just for staying productive.

I sometimes switch from slow carb to low carb, and I’ll do things like taco salad without the chips. I cook up a big batch of taco meat and use that for a few days. Just microwave, add some cheese, salsa, guacamole, maybe some beans.

This works, I believe, because it prevents insulin response, so you don’t get blood sugar spikes and subsequent crashes.

The slow carb diet says that eventually your metabolism will slow down, so they suggest one day a week eating whatever you want. So that’s nice.

I found this green/pinto bean, guacamole, and protein shake regimen to be super fast, easy, cheaper than fast food, and pretty tasty.

My doctor was not aware of the slow carb diet, but he says he basically tries to cut out carbs during the week (not completely, that’s impractical if not impossible), and eats whatever he wants on the weekends. If you are looking for something simple, I think that’s a good guideline. Making life/habit changes is hard, so keeping it simple is very wise. Once you are in a routine that includes some small improvements, you can try to do more. If you try to make bigger changes you are more likely to give up. For example, for me I tried cooking chicken and eggs for my protein at first, but I didn’t stick to it. Busy mornings, need to leave for work, I would just throw up my hands and hit the drive thru because I’m not proficient at cooking in general.

I’ll admit to not reading this entire thread as I really should be working and have found myself awfully distracted by this site today!

I currently weigh 88.5 kg -13 st, 13 lds or 195 pounds. In January 2013 I was 108 kilograms which is 17 stone or 238 pounds. My ideal weight for my height is 60.2 kg to 81.6 kg.

The major difference started by mostly giving up alcohol. I previously had a couple of glasses of wine every night. At the weekends my partner and I could easily drink a couple of bottles on both Friday and Saturday evenings. We’d also have gin and tonics or a couple of beers as and when. Now I have perhaps three pints of beer the whole week, perhaps one bottle of wine a month. When I drink I snack so by dropping the alcohol intake I’ve vastly reduced the late night salty snacks.

Food wise I’ve mostly gone from a three meals a day - breakfast, a cheese and ham sandwich at lunch and a main meal, to two. My breakfast is much later (it’s now 11:25 and I still haven’t eaten) and my main meal a little earlier.

My breakfast is usually a large bowl of porridge. I add salt, a small pinch of sugar and may add cinnamon and occasionally some powered ginger for taste. If I remember I might add some nuts or dried fruit to the porridge. If I’m hungry for lunch I’ll have it but usually by the time I’m hungry it’s close enough to supper time not to bother. I’ll eat fruit as snacks.

In the evening if I get hungry I’ll simply suffer it. Occasionally I’ll have some buttered crackers but I find that if I eat something I tend to want more. It’s better for me to be a little hungry.

I drink loads of water - always have - there’s a pint glass on the desk with me all day long. I drink three or four pints of water a day easily, not counting all the tea and coffee.

So for me weight loss has been fairly easy: reduce alcohol, eat less, snack less, snack better.

Every person has waste products in one’s blood, these products are dealt by liver that breaks them up, some of the leftover is then directed to kidneys where they form urine and are excreted from body. For example extra minerals can be considered a waste products.
Some of these products are harmful to your brain, for example alcohol and Hg. If you have food intolerances, as lots of people do, the undigested food or the antibodies synthesized to fight this undigested food can also affect your brain. I feel some brain fog every time after I eat. As already mentioned, my worst neurotoxin is protein called gluten.

Some of your social symptoms match with autism, like difficulty socializing and unusual focus on pieces (remembering cards all-day-along in your case maybe). Of course, there are lots of possible causes for your unique personality and I’m no psychologist.

But if to expand the idea of anti-socialness (including autism) and connect it with your diet:

My anti-socialness is definitely caused because of the food-toxins in my brain, but this is side-effect of the temporary overall cognitial decline these toxins cause.
There is some research linking together food intolerances (e.g. gluten and casein intolerance) and autism:

The article: Gluten and casein get a lot of attention in the autism community and from doctors in the Autism Research Institute's biomedical movement. Some parents, doctors and researchers say that children have shown mild to dramatic improvements in speech and/or behavior after these substances were removed from their diet.

Your menu is rich in gluten (from bakery foords) and casein (from ice cream). Maybe you could try dairy or gluten free diet to see if your anti-socialness improves.

However, not all autism cases are linked to food intolerances, as confirms this article. And I’m not saying that you definitely have autism, I’m just implying that my anti-socialness is caused because of food and so might be yours.

Fundamentals first. Eat the right amount. Moderate exercise. Win win.

For the past week, I have been buying half muffins/ice cream/cookies, and half bananas and apples. The bananas and apples have basically taken the place of fast food and pizza. I had no idea bananas were so cheap. So, so cheap. That’s really awesome, so I’m going to keep buying bananas for just that reason. It has been fun to test out the many different types of apples as well. At first I thought I had established the best and the worst, but I learned that ripeness has far more to do with the taste and that quality changes in days. I’ll probably google apple-selecting tips before going back.

So it’s a very good thing! Cheap and painless. I don’t feel any differently but hopefully this change will give my focus/learning/memory a little bit of a boost in these important coming months. I’ll tell you if I notice anything interesting.

Hello Loci,

Here is an article about healthy foods and increasing performance

I like how you are replacing half of your processed foods with fruits

We have increasing rates of dementia, psychiatric diseases and cancer
Huge corporations want us to think the food they process is safe, but their primary objective is money not health
It is difficult to pronounce all the ingredients in our processed food: preservatives, dyes, taste enhancers, calorie replacers. And the ingredients don’t list the pesticides and altered genes in our food
Study after study shows that long term exposure to processed foods have multiple deleterious effects including heart disease, hypertension, diabetes etc.

Please try for 2 months:
Continue to replace some of your processed food with unprocessed foods (like you did with bananas and apples)
Walk 30 min just 3 times a week (that is only 90 min per week which is 10080 hours= .014% of the week)
Cant you give up just .014% of the week?
Make sure you are getting quality sleep

Possible results:
Increased focus and practice effectiveness
Increased motivation
Increased performance

Lets say doing the above for 2 months increases your PB by only 2%
wouldn’t it still be worth it?

And even if it doesn’t, what have you lost?
Very little

Cheers
Ray

Cough 0.89% of the week.

Otherwise, I agree with Ray

Bateman

90 min = 1.5 hours
1.5/10080=.00014=.014%
I am glad we read each others comments :slight_smile:

Yes, Ray, I am glad as well. I read everything. You have linked several times to the getting started guide, specifying that I wrote it. I appreciated that.

You are wrong however. There are 10080 minutes in a week. Not hours.

Bateman

Fuji apples are good, especially when chilled. I also like Granny Smiths because they are a little sour. Red Delicious sometimes look good but can sometimes be too mealy. If you get a batch of apples that doesn’t taste good, chop them up (including skins), add a little water, and simmer until they can be mashed into applesauce. I leave in the skins, because the fiber apparently offsets the sugars in fruits.

Edit: it’s apple season and I have been trying new varieties. “Jazz” and “pink lady” are two other good types.

Bateman You are right!!! :slight_smile:
Brain fart-maybe from too much junk food?

1. I can do that. Many fruits are palatable so before incorporating vegetables into my diet cringe, I’ll add more of them. My grandfather Glibert R. Kaats is the CEO and Head Chairman of Integrated Health Technologies Global in San Antonio.
    http://www.ihtglobal.com/
    He is always willing to give me jugs of vanilla and chocolate flavored nutritional powder of various sorts, which he puts into smoothies. Over the years, I’ve given the majority of this away to other people. But I’ll get some more from him and get some frozen fruit and fruit juice, and I think if I add a smoothie like that in every day I will have a diet which is 100% fruit + the nutritional supplements, which sounds terribly limited, but would nevertheless be a big improvement from where I am now.

About 4 years ago he was doing a bunch of studies on vitamin d-3. I had never even heard of vitamin d-3 at the time, but I see it included in many supplements today, often fish oil I think. I would guess that his work was instrumental in bringing about that change because I remember him being very excited about it, saying “In all my years, I have never seen a single vitamin with such a scope of effects. If you do nothing else, get your butt on d-3.” And he got his Ph.D. in 1956 so that’s quite a large number of years.

Just throwing that into the mix since I do hear a lot about omega-3’s and not much else frankly, so that’s another vitamin worth doing some research on if you’re interested in health.

1. I can do that also. I just moved into a new house in a neighborhood I’m still not familiar with, and since I would need literally hundreds more loci than I even have right now just to practice all of the Western Regional events in a row, that is another very motivating reason to walk around over the next 2 months.

2. Not sure about this one. I do sleep most nights now so I’m in a better position than I was last year at least.

3. Yes, of course. When even one of my PB’s increases by 2%, I feel like a million bucks for the rest of the day! Just thinking of improving all of my skills at the same time by any measurable amount makes a tantalizing image.

Good job Loci! I will be looking forward to some good results!!!

Memory athletes should be just like physical athletes
When we cut corners, we may get away with it some of the time…
When we take care of ourselves, we may be able to maximize our potential :slight_smile:

Ray

Thought you guys might be interested in this study.

If you don’t know, ketosis is a state your body enters when it starts using lipids as primary fuel as opposed to carbohydrates. It can be achieved within two days of eating minimal to no carbohydrates. I just thought I would mention it since I recently started dieting in a way that encourages it.

If you’re going to attempt this(consult a doctor etc), eat one big carb ridden meal every 5-6 days, and make sure you get tons of fat. If you don’t get enough fat, you will enter rabbit starvation.

Bateman