What is a memory palace anyway? [POLL]

Well… first all all, the Latin translations I’m familiar with (reading and writing) take up less than half a page and the rest is dedicated to footnotes to clarify the aforementioned translations. On the other hand, I don’t want to tell you what translations you should like… that is of course entirely up to you; however…

…I think the “wax tablet” makes “background” a really bad choice given the context. You see, a whiteboard is a background and nothing more. A wax tablet on the other hand is not a background but something that you’d engrave the information in (not so much on).

So ultimately, the white of the board serves as the backdrop to the black of the ink; on the other hand, the wax tablet after it’s been worked is the final product. Maybe more obvious when you compare a painting and a sculpture… the former has a canvas as a background to hold the paint(ing), the latter will become the finished product after it’s been worked. I hope that makes some sort of sense… if not, let me know and I try for a better example.

Compare this to:

  • a 821 / 148 image in front of a library
  • a 821 / 148 image in front of a school

…if you use library and school only as backgrounds, there is nothing that really “attaches” the image and makes the backgrounds harder to distinguish… like writing on a whiteboard or a blackboard is really not a big difference. To me, creating a “Fanta Fountain,” is much more like using a wax tablet by comparison.

No worries… pretty sure the Romans took care of that already. :wink:

1 Like