What Are Your Favorite Books That Changed the Way You Think?

It’s been mentioned a few times now. I’ve never heard it until a few days ago.

Looks like I will need a bigger library, I will be getting Deep Work soon.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I just ordered it a couple of weeks ago. :slight_smile:

I was feeling a lot of motivation from reading Ultralearning by Scott Young, so I got a few books on productivity, thinking that feeding my brain a steady stream of motivational language might help me accomplish more during quarantine.

I haven’t read them yet, but these are the ones I picked up:

• Getting Things Done by David Allen
  • Atomic Habits by James Clear
  • 15 Secrets Successful People Know About Time Management by Kevin Kruse.

I’m going to try Deep Work after that.

1 Like

I think philing most of us are not an introvert or extrovert.

Many of them are ambivert , I think I also an ambivert.

There are many books(hundreds!!) that have influenced the way I think!! Here are some of them:

101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think

Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models

Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning

If the Universe Is Teeming with Aliens … WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

The 48 Laws of Power

Our Inner Ape

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships

The Intelligence Paradox: Why the Intelligent Choice Isn’t Always the Smart One

Man’s Search for Meaning

Moral Minds: The Nature of Right and Wrong

Thinking, Fast and Slow

Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live

The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You’re Deluding Yourself

Outliers: The Story of Success

Polygamy: A Cross-Cultural Analysis

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values

Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering

Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment

The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution

The Selfish Gene

Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy

Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

DNA Is Not Destiny: The Remarkable, Completely Misunderstood Relationship between You and Your Genes

Erasing Death: The Science That Is Rewriting the Boundaries Between Life and Death

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets

The Art of War

Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain

Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives

The Psychology of Good and Evil: Why Children, Adults, and Groups Help and Harm Others

Lifespan: Why We Age―and Why We Don’t Have To

I am Not a Brain: Philosophy of Mind for the 21st Century

No Self, No Problem: How Neuropsychology is Catching Up to Buddhism

Rethinking Consciousness: A Scientific Theory of Subjective Experience

Plato’s Republic

11 Likes

This is great!
I was looking for some recommended book list.

I started a thread for Ultralearning by Scott Young.

1 Like

Oddbjørn Bys bok

1 Like

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Free Will

Hi guys I tought to post my own list here since I used a lot of recommendations from here, its been a year already and it has helped me a lot :slight_smile:

From “easy” to more “elaborated”

1- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
2- Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It
3- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
4- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
5- Atlas Shrugged
6- The Picture of Dorian Gray
7- Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
8- O Otimista Racional
9- Beyond Good and Evil
10-Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst

The 8 is in Portuguese BUT its a translation, you should read this one if you want to learn about the economy and politics and the world etc.

Its not my TOP 10 just some “MUST READ” for me.

You can see more in my Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/118257000-matheus-minto

Triology by Yuval novel harari which includes Sapiens,Homodeus and 21 lessons for 21st century.

1 Like

Love that book. Helped me tremendously to see myself as, maybe, a little more normal than I thought. I learned that my introversion can actually be my strength. Before ‘Quiet’ it was my weakness, especially since I come from a family of extroverts.

2 Likes

That[quote=“metivier, post:31, topic:27860, full:true”]
Happiness Beyond Thought by Gary Weber is probably my top book. It has very good texts to memorize in it too for helping one reduce thoughts.
[/quote]

I agree. It’s my favouite book too

2 Likes

@benjamin1990 @Kinma we will be happy if this guys share their comment with us too in this topic

Dear erol “Breaking Vegas”” was fascinated,
but i need some more books like this to change the way of my thinking about gamble? would you?
and please tell me what are the most effictive books you read about succes in life and you life(exept The Strangest Secre you mentioned before),

1 Like

Yes sure.Here is another very good one.
“Straight Flush” by Ben Mezrich

Read this book, its another amazing book that will make you think twice about gambling.

“Awaken The Giant Within” Tony Robbins
“The Richest man In Babylon” George Clason
“Think & Grow Rich” Napoleon Hill
“Get Smart” Brian Tracy

With these books, if you follow the advice and do what they all says, you’ll have a lot of success within your future years.

2 Likes

hay there I have read them(skimmed reading)(also mu list got updated)
but do you think still do we need to bet or use our memory tricks/methods in gambling ? whats your opinion?
and erol Ben Mezrich has absoloutely changed my life thanks agian.
you may need read there two soon i had talked to Ed_cooked and these are his suggestion;
From Dawn to Decadence: 1500 to the Present
Too Big to Know: by David Weinberge

1 Like

Gasinos will always win at the end.
There are some games you would have a chance of winning with a system, but would require a huge bank-roll to back you up.
However, the chances are you would still lose in the long run.

Ben Mezrich is one of my favourite writers. I really like his explanatory style. Great writer. I have a few of his books.

Difficult question, so I limit myself to some books that I read before 18 years old:
When I was 15, our teacher gave us Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics to read. That book changed many things.
An introduction to Philosophy I read when also around 15. The book in itself is not so great, but at that time I learned many things from it.
The German Author Michael Ende, not so well known in the English speaking world (besides his books for children), had a big influence on me. I read 7 or 8 of his books.
A short biography of Leonardo da Vinci that we had at home and I read several times when I was around 12 or 13. Also a biography of Francis of Assisi.
When I was around 6 or 7, our teacher read to us C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books. I found those books delicious, even if when I re-read them later I found them a bit boring.
Tolkien’s works enwiden my perspective of the world, and taught me to look beyond my small narrow world, and perhaps game a certain “epic” way of living.
We had an “Encyclopedia for children” with 20 volumes, published before 1917. I think I read that from beginning to end when I was 10 or 12. Obviously the content had many limitations and it would be useless today, but it “changed” the way I think, because it opened my mind for many things.
My father was a fan of Asimov and had many of his fiction works at home. I read and reread them. Even if later in life I found Asimov’s vision of life and the world quite limited and narrow, I can say I learned many things.
We had many collections of books at home: science, literature, art, history and biographies, philosophy and religion, so I had abundant material. All those also had a big influence on me.

4 Likes

Algorithms to Live By by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths - as regular human beings when we find ourselves frustrated by the tasks of everyday life we are often dealing with optimization problems. Computer scientist have already employed a number of techniques to solve the problems and optimize them so they efficiently run on a server in an automated fashion. Understand of these general problems helps you set expectations with yourself around your frustrations and the true complexity of the problem.

The Brain That Changes Itself By Norman Doidge M.D. - Neuroplasticity! It does exist: I can change! Need I say more?

The Science of Fear by Daniel Gardner - How a culture of fear is created and maintained. It made me employ greater critical thinking when consuming mass media.

Innumeracy: Mathemtical Illiteracy and It’s Consequences by John Allen Paulos - how our culture inability to provide sound mathematical education leaves us vulnerable to manipulation. I developed a better understanding of why I and my fellow man are often ‘tricked’ into making bad decisions.

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - (fiction) dystopian future when we stop reading and/or disregard past knowledge.

The Great Mental Models: Volume 1 General Thinking Concepts by Rhiannon Beaubien & Shane Parrish. Gave me insight into that uphold my cognitive biases as well as models that are employed to solve complex/wicked problems.

5 Likes

I almost picked that up recently. I figured it would take fewer than 50 hours to read it so I downloaded the Kindle preview instead of the audiobook. There are a few other books in line in front of it though.

1 Like