What Are Your Favorite Books That Changed the Way You Think?

Think and Grow Rich - Napolean Hill

Walter Isaacson’s biographies Einstein, Da Vinci , etc.

12 rules for Life and Jordan Peterson materials

Stephen King’s novels :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Lying - Sam Harris

Interesting philosophy and only about 90 pages, more a thesis

2 Likes

How many places did it take you? I’d like to do that I love that book

This is the greatest so far. I hope only a handful reads this. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m reading a book titled as “Total Recall”. It sounds like a memory training book :slight_smile: It’s in fact written by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I watched the movie Total Recall a few years back. And was searching for the DVD version of it on amazon, and noticed the book version, but only to find that it was all about his life. Bought it. It’s 624 pages! And I can’t seem to put it down, so interesting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Two more books that I want to add:

1 Like

Deep work by Cal Newport.

I’m a distracted person and I have no moderation, if I open facebook there is a big chance I willl be in there 10 minutes even if I’m at work. Deep work was a HUGE milestone for me, it completely changed the way a approach any kind of work, conversation, meeting…

I stumbled with this book 2 years ago. Back in highschool I had periods of time where I could be laser focused but time passed after I graduated and I just couldn’t get focused on anything and I felt that hability faded away. I was incredibly distracted at work, with friends, family, etc. I wasn’t able to understand a thing because I would be too busy thinking about any kind of stuff. So on one video Thomas Frank talked about this book briefly and I decided to give it a try.

One of the best desitions I have ever made, and one that I’m just too grateful for.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear, since I was thinking about reading it.

There’s also a thread here about one of Cal Newport’s other books: Digital Minimalism: “Why We’ll Look Back at Our Smartphones Like Cigarettes”

2 Likes

Definetly read it, Digital minimalism and Deep work are tied to each other.

Digital minimalism is for life in general (friends, family, enjoying the present moment), Deep work is for… well… work.

Both are quite beautiful to read, you get a sense of what was before the smartphone era, pure focus at the activity at hand and the joy of being just in the moment.

2 Likes

Breaking Out of Homeostasis

It will transform how you think and live your life if you only apply a little bit of the wisdom in it.

1 Like

Yes, Deep Work is a very good and important book. It will help you become more productive and smarter.

1 Like

You guys need to check these out!

Harry Lorayne fans in the house?

2 Likes

A book I just finished a month ago, which might just prove to be the most impactful book that I have ever read is Atomic Habits by James Clear. I am mid forties now and I think that it is likely to have a huge impact on my life. I can only imagine how consequential it would have been for me had I read it when I was 20.

One other quick one I would add that complements Atomic Habits nicely is a short read called The Motivation Hacker by Nick Winter.

Finally, I thought The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday was really good. It was my first introduction to Stoic Philosophy and delivered it in a very accessible and practical way. It really opened my mind to a new way of thinking.

I also really liked Deep Work and am excited to check out Digital Minimalism (both mentioned above). Thanks for the recommendations.

2 Likes

It’s been mentioned a few times now. I’ve never heard it until a few days ago.

Looks like I will need a bigger library, I will be getting Deep Work soon.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I just ordered it a couple of weeks ago. :slight_smile:

I was feeling a lot of motivation from reading Ultralearning by Scott Young, so I got a few books on productivity, thinking that feeding my brain a steady stream of motivational language might help me accomplish more during quarantine.

I haven’t read them yet, but these are the ones I picked up:

• Getting Things Done by David Allen
  • Atomic Habits by James Clear
  • 15 Secrets Successful People Know About Time Management by Kevin Kruse.

I’m going to try Deep Work after that.

1 Like

I think philing most of us are not an introvert or extrovert.

Many of them are ambivert , I think I also an ambivert.

There are many books(hundreds!!) that have influenced the way I think!! Here are some of them:

101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think

Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models

Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning

If the Universe Is Teeming with Aliens … WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

The 48 Laws of Power

Our Inner Ape

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships

The Intelligence Paradox: Why the Intelligent Choice Isn’t Always the Smart One

Man’s Search for Meaning

Moral Minds: The Nature of Right and Wrong

Thinking, Fast and Slow

Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live

The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You’re Deluding Yourself

Outliers: The Story of Success

Polygamy: A Cross-Cultural Analysis

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values

Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering

Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment

The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution

The Selfish Gene

Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy

Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

DNA Is Not Destiny: The Remarkable, Completely Misunderstood Relationship between You and Your Genes

Erasing Death: The Science That Is Rewriting the Boundaries Between Life and Death

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets

The Art of War

Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain

Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives

The Psychology of Good and Evil: Why Children, Adults, and Groups Help and Harm Others

Lifespan: Why We Age―and Why We Don’t Have To

I am Not a Brain: Philosophy of Mind for the 21st Century

No Self, No Problem: How Neuropsychology is Catching Up to Buddhism

Rethinking Consciousness: A Scientific Theory of Subjective Experience

Plato’s Republic

11 Likes

This is great!
I was looking for some recommended book list.

I started a thread for Ultralearning by Scott Young.

1 Like

Oddbjørn Bys bok

1 Like