Spaced repetition system

I made that sheet 5 years ago and deleted it when it I found it was being used for a sinister kind of Koran training.

Based on this system I made a new one:

Make a copy for your personal use.
Feel free to amend it.

I added dates for when a subject is due and checkboxes so you can check the ones you have done.

Also I made the checkboxes red if they are due:

5 Likes

Thanks for the file. @Kinma

1 Like

Thanks for this Kinma. I was wondering if anyone still has a copy of the excel version of this? I have found this Googlesheet invaluable except… my work blocks Googlesheets on our computers and ipads. I use these 2 devices as my primary study aids (its a pain using it on my phone as the screen is small and ive clocked up quite a few things to keep track of in it).

I have tried converting the sheet to excel but unfortunately it doesnt like some of the formulas involved with the checkbox.

Listen to brilliant @Rumburak. The easiest way is to just make a card in Anki. I used to use modified google sheets as well…but Anki is much better. Anki is great for “experimental” cards like this (i.e. recite the entire long poem, solve this long math problem, etc.). This is because in Anki, unlike SuperMemo, how you answer any one card has no effect on the other cards. So feel free to make strange, experimental cards i.e. do all the projects in chapter 1.

Can’t thank you enought

Based on scientific studies, Anki flashcards are best for most people learning information longterm.

When I use memory palace though for my studies in the sciences, I don’t have time to write anything down so I just throw them into memory palaces. The key is to refer to that memory palace every time you think of that piece of information or when it comes up. That in itself is enough spaced repetition. Because of this, I remember things I put into memory palace months ago.

1 Like

My suggestion would be similar to @Rumburak - use Anki.

But (with respect) I would not put a list of “key points” in the “Answer” because (IMHO) a list violates the whole principle of “Active Recall”. With Active Recall, : there must be a single “question” that you will either answer or fail to answer.

https://supermemo.guru/wiki/Active_recall

So for Chapter 1, the front of an Anki card might be “How well do I know Chapter 1?” The back of the card would be empty. You must then read Chapter 1 in order to answer that question.

You then tell Anki how well you know Chapter 1. Anki schedules the next interval according to which button you pressed after reading Chapter 1:

• Easy: You had no problem remembering everything ( !! )
  • Hard: You struggled to remember a lot of stuff.
  • Good: Somewhere between “Easy” and “Hard”
  • Again: Anki dumps you back to the beginning, and you start all over again.

The problem with the above Anki approach is no different from the problem with spreadsheet approach - it’s all very subjective regarding your assessment of how well you know the chapter. But at least the Anki scheduling will suit YOU personally. A different person would generate a different schedule. On the other hand, the spreadsheet would be the same for everybody (I assume).

If you use the other part of the suggestion by @Rumburak - the use of “key points” - you might prefer to create an Anki card for EACH key point - in addition to the single card for Chapter 1.

The benefit of that approach is that it satisfies Supermemo’s recommendation to split info into atoms. Each atom then gets its own schedule. Very easy atoms are quicky pushed into the future - leaving you more time to spend on the difficult atoms. On the other hand, with Passive Review, you read each word in the chapter exactly the same number of times - unless you Tippex out the key facts that you already know. As you know, the problem with Tippex is that it does not slowly disappear at different rates corresponding to the gradual “forgetting curve” for each key fact. So you need to buy another book and start again. (You might get a refund from Amazon for claiming that the Tippex was already in the book when it arrived.)

As an experiment, you could run the two methods in parallel:

• One card per chapter (passive review + spaced repetition)
  • One card per key point (active recall + spaced repetition)

If you want to study only key points from Chapter 1, remember that you can use “tags” with Anki.

So a bunch of cards might have the tag “Chapter 1”, another card will have “Chapter 2”, and so on.

There’s a well-known theory in physics which states that the speed of a caravan in a desert is exactly equal to the speed of the slowest camel. (The slowest camel is always placed at the van.) If you apply this theory to the parallel methods discussed above, then the next date that Anki recommends for the Chapter 1 card will be the same as the date recommended for the key fact that is causing you the greatest difficulty in memorizing.

Maybe you could try that, and report back on your progress.

1 Like

Hi
It seems that Spaced repetition works for some.

Personally I think its much to do about nothing.
I have tried it but find it fiddly amongst other things. I dislike also getting ‘locked out’ with apps when I want to review info

I know when a palace, link stream, or other data is ‘fading’. When I realize that I’m the sort of person who wants to dive straight in and review.
All my info is on tables in Word (backed up to Dropbox) and printed out and filed. I just reach in grab a page and start plowing through.
I do wish those well who use SR. May I just encourage you to go with your instincts when it comes to review.

That link doesn’t seem to be working for me. Was the file deleted?

1 Like

This is kind just a small tidbit I saved in December of 2017, it’s from Coursera’s “Learning How to Learn” :

Hey Echoreflection,

Does coursera offer a scientific article this is based off of, which you can link me?
I’d like to read it if they do.

1 Like

anki

1 Like

I remember they recommended flascard apps and they cover a lot of other useful topics. If you don’t want to take the course, there’s also books.

Look for Barbara Oakley learning how to learn.

edit: sorry din’t read. At the end of each chapter in the course you have papers and articles. You can look for Barbara Oakely and Terrence Sejnowski.

1 Like

http://www.flashcardlearner.com/articles/

There are many articles via that link↑