Roots decimals

I think you are taking this too far.
Tammet is a fraud and all the reasons why this is can be found on this forum.

Using your abilities and learning is a honourable way of making the most of your talent.

And what if you don’t get classified? :grin::grin::grin:

First, it should be made clear that in no way Im an intelligent person, in a sense that, since my early childhood, I struggled very hard to achieve my education.

Now Im a Geography degree student, and it’s my passion. But, since last year I discovered in YouTube my fellow countryman Alberto Coto, I started to search about mental calculation.

I asked myself: can a person like me, who needed, until very recently, a calculator to get 115 + 36, build up itself non-innates qualities? I think yes!

Dont get me wrong: the gap between me (artificial non gifted calculator wannabe) and you (innate talent) is insurmountable. So my claim is not impress someone, but achieve little operations and here I discovered very useful strategies!!

1 Like

If I am on the spectrum then I am a savant. If I am not on the spectrum then I am still a prodigy, lol.

Don’t worry, I’m considering training my talents after a diagnose and perhaps participate in a competition but let’s see how everything goes. :slight_smile:

Excellent! I am here to help if I can.

1 Like

If you have time, i am curious to hear your thoughts on this.

I think I understand what you are saying and it probably is more efficient but the thing is, I have never done that before lol. I noticed that I often prefer to calculate the longroute which is working from the bottom to the top, top being the answer. You suggested to overshoot, which is something I often struggle with because I don’t do that a lot.

When doing a multiplication like 746× 387, I often rather calculate 746×387 than 746×390 - (746×3) because I don’t have to adjust. My brain can add much quicker than subtract. When I have to subtract during a calculation it feels like going 200 km/s in a racecar and suddenly have to pull the brake and drive backwards. I don’t know if this is relatable but this is really what it feels like, lol.

It is!
I felt like that too, when I first tried it.
Then I forced myself to calculate like this and now it feels naturally.

I have written a lot about this in this forum btw, in case you want to know more.

I didn’t want exaggerate but if you really want to know, my abilities would be in the top 99,9999… I don’t know how many 9’s to write because I haven’t found anybody who is like me. Apparently, even people with an IQ of 160+ struggle to do 3 by 3 digit multiplications with pure their brain power, no aid. And here I am, doing 3 by 3 digit multiplications in seconds, so you can guess where that puts my abilities. This doesn’t mean I would score that high on every subtest, probably only on those related to memory and working memory. I probably would score average or slightly below average on subtests about words and languages, I am more of a numbers guy, haha :slight_smile: