RGB System

I vaguely get the article after reading it multiple times.
But how do you enter the mini-palace/stencil from a locus point in the main journey to begin with?

In one of the articles, you mentioned using pegs attached to the loci interacting with a movie character. And in this one, links that character on a journey through the stencil which is really a reusable global view path system since the character’s journey take on it’s own link-method through the path/stencil and will be different from others. So is using pegs attached to the main locus to bring you into the stencil the only way?

It was a comment from this article. Does this also mean that you imagined a statue of liberty holding a candle (peg) in the main locus and remembered it’s imaginary existence by repetition? What about the risk of forgetting the statue of liberty?

Here’s my go at a simplification:
Think of this RGB System as a way to create “memory palace objects”. What r30 is giving here is a structured way to come up with these objects to condense different visual bits of info you want to memorize.

Everyone else so far has gotten the central point right–the object of greatest importance should be at the center of the stencil / model / object. Everything else in r30’s original post is a complex way that he adds things to it.

I’ll explain by way of analogy. (Note: This analogy will only make sense if you generally understand both the major system and the PAO system.) Think of it like this: in the major system, we are given a formula to memorize numbers. In the PAO system, there’s a sense in which you come up with your own formula. What r30 is doing here is giving something akin to the PAO system, but for loci.

Another angle on this: If you learn to swing a baseball bat with good form, then you will be pretty good at improvising this skill to wreck other things with that bat–vases, windows, other bats, you get the point.

The point is, what r30 seems to be giving us is some guidelines on improvising our own hodgepodge objects based on things we want to memorize. If I understand correctly, this is like the linking method, but you make a new object with the things you’re linking together. This way, you don’t need an external memory palace (like your house, etc.)–you’ve made one by memorizing other things. If you need a visual, think of the game Katamari, where you have a big ball that sticks to everything. The RGB System is a (slightly) more organized way to stick things together and make what I called “memory palace objects”.

2 Likes

Well I haven’t labored through the explanations and the explanations of the explanations but my take is that this is a technique for adding depth or more dimensions to locii using preset patterns or conventions that imply a structure.

My reservation comes from my own experience in organizing information both in software and in my head. It’s very easy to generate deep or high dimensional structures that can pack in a lot of information but revisiting a deeply nested file structure after a year I find that my understanding of the structure has faded and I can’t make sense of what I have. It’s fine if you have software to consume this kind of data but if one has to maintain and manipulate it by ‘human’, I believe in keeping the structure as ‘flat’ as possible.

2 Likes

So then, more of a bundle and less of a Katamari ball?

Video for explaining this system will be very helpful…

1 Like

I intuited this as a suped-up linking system as well. Still clueless as to the rules for structuring the various connections between the loci-images. In my mind, images and loci become one in this system, and that using the words loci or images separately will only cause confusion.

To iterate the general idea again: the center image-loci (an eye like a mountain),

connects to another image-loci (a yam bridge connected to the bear mountain),

Connects to another image-loci (a man in a fur hat making up the ground beneath the mountain where the end of the bridge starts),

And Connects to another image-loci (the cast of glee piled up into a hill opposite the bridge, next to the ground, under the mountain).

The images decide into…
Eye yam Hun glee
I am hungry

If I’m misrepresenting the system I’ll delete the above to avoid further confusion on the post