Memory techniques for several topics and time needed

Hello guys I wanted to start in memory techniques again, but have some questinons in mind.

I want to achieve the following things with mnemonics:

1. Study for biology exams (in 3 months due)
  2. Study for Operating-Systems-Exams (in 8 weeks due)
  3. Study for math exam (calculus) - only formulas with mnemonics, rest is practice anyways (in 8 weeks due).
  4. Learn Turkish (vocab)
  5. Learn Arabic (vocab, alphabet)
  6. Memorize useful commands (Powershell)
  7. Networking-Concepts, Definitions etc.

1-3 are shortterm goals. 4-7 are longterm goals.
So now to my questions:

Are 1-3 even possible in this short timespan, because I havent applied mnemonics yet?

Is any of the topics not siuted for memorizing with mnemonics?

Would you adwise against using a memory palace on one of the topics?

Sorry for the many questions, but I have to start somewhere and dont want to change my plans (esspecially for my exams) in the middle of the proccess.

Thank you guys for the amazing forums and helping people out :heart:

4 Likes

To have some additional information for you:

The Biology exam is complete multiple-choice. I thought I could construct one memory palace per topic(chapter).

For the Operating-Systems exam I want to study definitions and maybe some standard procedures with mnemonics.

It would make me very happy, if someone could tell me, if it is realistically possible, to study with mnemonics for 1-3. I have read the forums the last days and I think 4-7 is possible over the long run with mnemonics (if not, feel free correct me :wink:).

1 Like

Mnemonic techniques could be used with any of those. You will still need to use natural memory — the memory techniques can be a supplement. I mean I wouldn’t drop normal studying thinking that everything can be replaced with memory palaces, but if you have lists of things to memorize, then starting to integrate techniques like memory palaces and peg list systems into your regular studying can help. Mnemonics can help with foreign language vocabulary.

Some places to start:

3 Likes

Thank you Josh! I will try to develop a technique for me and update you guys during prepreatrion/after my exams!

1 Like

memory techniques, memory palace among them, bring almost immediate results. A great deal could be accomplished in the time that you have.

2 Likes

@zvuv Tank you for you reply! That motivates me even more, to use the techniques for these exams! I also ordered @LynneKelly book “Memory Craft”, it is really inspiring. I am almost finished with the book and I think I am going to implement some tips mentioned in it also. It is amazing what indingenious cultures have accomplished with mnemonics :open_mouth:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

The list looks ambitious. Not a bad thing as such. But, it is always advised to take things slow. Memorization using mnemonics is a tool. It needs time. I am not a mnemonic expert myself. But I feel, spending 10 minutes daily to learn the techniques and create memory palaces and then apply them to your memorization tasks will be the best way to go. Consistency is the key.

To remember anything, if you could just recall the information without using your notes/books, you will be way ahead. The Key is to recall not review.

For example: Let us say you are studying for the biology exam. You want to remember that our DNA has 23 pairs of chromosomes. You can use mnemonics to remember it. 23 in the major system is NM say 23 = NaMe = visiting card (It depends on person to person). It can be anything. Now visualize that you are giving visiting cards to people having blood on it. It will suffice to remember 23 and blood/chromosome. But it will need repetition. You won’t remember the image for long. If you want to make the information stick longer, you have to understand it. Why 23 chromosomes? Can we have 24 or 22? If yes, what happens if someone gets 24 instead of 23? Thus, read, understand, remember, repeat are the keys of long term knowledge.

Lastly, if you want to ace any exam, there is no better way than solving previous years’ question papers. This will activate your radar when you will be studying for your exam.

All the best.

4 Likes

Hi 4c6f6369,

I am delighted that you found Memory Craft interesting! This forum is amazing for friendly help.

Like you, I am doing multiple memory projects at the same time. I am combining methods, depending on the task. I have gone a lot further with foreign languages than when I wrote Memory Craft. I do all the things that I said there, plus more, especially for Chinese / Mandarin. Learning French and Mandarin are so different, coming from an English speaking background. I have no idea what learning Arabic and Turkish would be like.

In Memory Craft, I talked about the Visual Alphabet and Bestiary for names and just mentioned it can be used for anything with words. I started using it a lot for French vocabulary. I have now constructed one in French. I am using a variation of the English version for Mandarin (pinyin). It would take me too long to learn enough Chinese to create one and I needed something immediately. None of the vocab would stick! I will write that up on my blog when I get a chance.

For definitions, I use songs, and even act them out. I described the Force song in Memory Craft. I use that approach for a lot of basic definitions.

For linked definitions, I use stories. Such as for coulombs, amperes, volts, current and resistance in circuits. Or for decay chains in radioactivity.

Lots of fun to be had. Your short timelines will mean that you will just get started, but the techniques you use will then develop further and further in future studies. It is all such good fun.

All the very best with it!

Lynne

3 Likes