Learning the 1000 to 2000 Most Common Words in Languages

Thanks… good idea.

Thanks… I didn’t know you could browse the decks online.

Perfect… :slight_smile:

It took about 10 minutes to extract the words from this page:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/Esperanto

I pasted it into Notepad++ and then edited it a bit. It looks like it needs to be cleaned up, but I’ve attached a copy below. Google Spreadsheets won’t translate Esperanto, for some reason, but I’ll still run through them and look up the ones I don’t know.

If anyone else is learning Esperanto, we could make a collaboratively-edited Google Spreadsheet, add the translations in English, and then export all 10,000 flashcards to Anki. I’m meeting some Esperantists tomorrow, and maybe they would be interested in helping.

Something happened to the encoding in that txt document. Here’s another version in Libre Office format that should be better.

I just realized that I can do the same search with Esperanto, and there are many decks there that I didn’t know about:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/esperanto

I may not need to convert those 10,000 Esperanto words into a new deck.

I will keep going through some of those other Esperanto decks instead of switching language, because there are still too many words I don’t know. :slight_smile:

I should mention that there are some errors in the anki Spanish decks-not a lot. I figure errors will creep into all these decks. One can tell which ones were done by native speaker and which ones were done by Gringos like me. Some of them are still useful for elementary level of Spanish.

I’m working on the top 2000 Russian words, and would be willing to share it when completed.

can you post if you don’t mind the russian words plz

I haven’t completed it yet, Souka 77, but on Anki there is already the top 1000 Russian words: https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/russian.

I was going to derive my list from: 1000 Most common Russian words. List-Quiz: 31. But I have found a better way of learning the top 1000 Russian words, on: Online Russian Courses - Memrise: The Easiest way to Speak Russian

Hi, I just start using Anki, plz how can i import the 1000 words to Anki, i try but i had only 20 spanish-english words.

Souka, there is this one you might like: 1000 Most Common Russian Words Version 2.

Search the Russian decks in the Anki free downloads page, and you will find it on there.

But Memrise is even better, because it makes you spell out the words.

I hope this helps.

Hi guys,

How are your language challenges going?

I wonder if someone put the idea of A Base Vocabulary List for any language into practice, that you use images instead of words in your mother language. I have to give it a try and now I am wondering, if someone else maybe put this images into Anki, it would be really helpful? And if not, do someone know, if you can do it like a little bit faster, like to put those images to excel and import them as normal flashcards, I tried to do it, but I failed, but maybe I have done sth. wrong…

And if nobody did this, maybe we can split this first 400 words, and like I do 100 sb elso do others and so on. Then, when we have this core images, changing for new languages will be really fast.

What do you think? :wink:

Yeah, I had the same thought as Haplo.
But I don’t really know how you’d find a universal image for non-nouns, especially prepositions and conjunctions. Like the image of a cat is viable for anyone learning the word ‘cat’ in their target language. But there’s no such image for a word such as ‘towards.’
Anyone have any thoughts?

True, no universal. This is where you may use a personal mnemonic. I see a big toe being towed (towards a yard).

I’m teaching myself Chinese (again) via quick videos. It’s a work in progress but I want to get back in touch with a language that a billion people on our planet speak (if curious on my approach, check http://www.decision108.com).

Erik

I am learning Catalan (hence my moniker) and wrote a simple PHP programme to separate all the words in a Catalan text, omitting some definite articles, the word ‘de’ etc. It is still a bit rough and it is targeted at Catalan because of the accents.
What I do is copy an article from a website, such as the news sites that write in good language, and paste it in the text box; here is the link:

Separate Catalan words

I would highly recommend against using Romaji for Japanese. It’s actually pretty different from actual written Japanese. If you learn the kana (easy, you can do it in a day or two) and shadow some native spoken text, you can get the pronunciation right.

Hey guys! I’m currently learning German, and I decided to make a memrise course with (close to) the 1000 most common German words. I know some of you here already know German, or are at least at a higher level than me, so maybe you could glance over it and let me know if all the words are correct. All I did was take the data from another site and put it into Memrise, so I don’t actually know how much of it is wrong.

EDIT:
It might be helpful if I put a link to the course :wink:

It’s a good start. Quite a few words are not strictly ‘incorrect’ but:

  • a lot of prepositions work only in conjunction with the actual verbs or nouns so translating them on their own does not help very much (e.g. auf, in, etc)

  • quite a few words are conjugated verbs - it would be helpful to mark them as such

  • some words are showing a singular meaning when in fact there are more regular and standard uses for these words one should learn

  • some words are translated incorrectly e.g. ‘gehen’ should be translated as the verb ‘to go’.

All in all this list could work very well for simple nouns and verbs. One needs to be able to aquire basic grammar to aid learning of more complicated structures. German has a highly complex grammar so it does help to get into grips with some basic rules before progressing to more abstract vocabulary.

I would be curious to hear what others have to say on that subject :slight_smile: perhaps suggestions on how they started learning themselves? Mind you I studied German at school in a traditional way but niw I wish to apply the memory techniques to studying French and German for which both I have basic competency.

As one who is striving to be multi-lingual, I find your posts quite informative - thanks everyone !

Why do you like esperanto so much? I mean, only 2 million people speak it, and thats the estimation at its best. Could you explain why anyone should learn esperanto?

Esperanto speakers are spread around the world, so you can find them wherever you go. It isn’t as hard to find speakers as it would be for a small country where you might only speak the language when you visit. Also, Esperanto speakers will usually be enthusiastic to meet you.

It’s easy to learn. If two people who don’t speak a common language are going to spend a few months together, Esperanto might be a good solution.

There is more information here: