Ask a memory champion

  1. Yes, I’m pretty sure I was the first. I’d never heard of anyone making one image out of two cards before I had the idea, anyway, and I don’t think anyone’s come forward since then and said “Hey, you stole my idea!”

  2. My image for PiT is actually a pit, as in a hole in the ground. But all my images have a “name”, some of those names are as many as three or four syllables long, and I do always say the full name to myself every time I picture them. PiL, for example, is a pillow, and I always think “pillow” to myself, rather than just “pil”, at the same time as I’m picturing the image.

I don’t think it’s a case of “seeing” the image before I “say” the name - both are simultaneous in my head, and both are an indispensible part of the memorising process. I couldn’t drop the subvocalising even if I wanted to, I think, because that’s just the way my mind works. Maybe not a technique that I’d recommend to anyone else, but that’s me. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the really fascinating question, by the way! I do love to talk about this kind of thing…

1 Like

Ben, do you do any kind of sport?

I read a lot of times that it’s better to increase blood flow to the brain by doing some exercise. Your answers are little bit “weird” (no offense)… But things like better performance at the competition than at home or eating junk food without any effect to the brain (allegedly the junk food kills brain cells) aren’t very common. So I’m just curious about you like everyone else here. :wink:

By the way, few days of your presence here and thanks to your answers I’m making a big progress! I couldn’t get over 300 numbers in 5-minute numbers… I tried something similar what you do, memorize 400 numbers as fast as possible. Guess what… Without few mistakes I would be at 400 numbers in under 5 minutes. It took just few training sessions. I couldn’t make any progress for maybe 2 months. So nowadays my training schedule consists just of these non-competition disciplines. It works like a charm! Different approach helped a lot… And…did I say “thank you”? I don’t remember…

That’s awesome! Nice going!

And no offence taken, I’d rather be “weird” than “the same as everyone else”. Seriously, I think it’s quite important that I made up my own approach to exercise, nutrition etc, rather than reading the latest “scientific” analysis of what’s good for you. Research shows that 83% of published so-called scientific research on this kind of subject (including this sentence) are just made up and usually have an ulterior motive, like wanting to sell Omega 3 capsules, or wanting people on a forum to think I’m cool. Don’t trust it; go with what feels right to you, and you won’t go far wrong.

I don’t do much exercise, by the way - I’ve got old knee injuries that prevent me from doing very much in the way of sport, although I do cycle a lot. I’m slightly overweight, but not particularly unfit.

1 Like

I tend not to notice it at the time, because I’m too excited about trying to break my records. Or, more excitingly, break someone else’s records. Then after a competition, I like to spend a whole day sleeping. :slight_smile:

All right and that is the only solution i could find so far. GO TO SLEEP, seriously :smiley:
and one more question. i am curious to know how would you go about memorising the following equation?
SnO2(s) + 2 H2(g) → Sn(s) + 2 H2O(g)
please memorise it and then share with us how did you do it and what was going inside your head as you were memorising it in as much detail as possible :slight_smile:

Well, that’s a difficult question, because I’m not a chemist. If I was going to memorise chemical equations, I’d want to develop a system for doing that, and that’s something I’d have to think about for a while.

From my vague memory of chemistry lessons at school, I suppose that equation means that you can mix tin dioxide (some kind of ore?) with hydrogen, somehow, and turn it into tin and water vapour. Sounds like fun. I suppose I’d have an image for each atom on the periodic table, things that can be stuck together somehow into molecules, and visualise one stuck-together lump of one Sn and two Os and two lumps of two Hs on the first location point, and so forth. I assume the (s) and (g) mean solid and gas? Perhaps each location would have three different levels to it - the gas-related images could be floating up high and waving down to the solids.

But, again, this is something I’d have to think about and experiment with before I can know what kind of system would work…

Ben, you mentioned that you’re more of a “speed reader” when it comes to memorizing. Even in 5 minutes numbers you review the informations few times. But this makes me think:
1.) Do you think it’s possible to stretch the memory to hold more things without review? I’m talking about “Spoken numbers”. Your best score is 153 (according to the world memory statistics), which is very good… But you cannot review information during this event. If you wanna improve, you have to train to NOT review… What do you think about this? If somebody wanted to catch the insane result of Wang Feng, his 300 numbers, it would be difficult, because even I use the same method as you - review as many times as possible.

And another question:
2.) Do you use any different method for memorizing names & faces, random words, dates and abstract images?
I was thinking that your system of 2704 images can be sometimes usable even in random words, because there’s a chance that the word you try to memorize reminds you some of you images… Have it ever happened to you? Or is it just my fantasy?

Hi Ben,

Your posts here are interesting enough that I decided to finally register for these forums and contribute for once…or rather, goad you into continuing contributing. So, two questions:

  1. I only very recently (a few weeks ago) got into the whole memory thing (starting from Dominic O’Brien’s books), and use a system, like many people, that involves coding digit groupings into people (a PA system). Later on I discovered that in your system, you code digit groups in general to objects rather than people. This was surprising to me at the time, however, in this thread you write:
I don’t actually know what either of those actors [Richard Gere and Sylvester Stallone] look like, if you were wondering how I could possibly get them confused. They just had convenient names when I was creating my system.

A comment like this suggests to me that you did not and do not watch many Hollywood movies, considering Sylvester Stallone (and to a much lesser extent, Richard Gere) is considered one of the most instantly recognisable actors in the world. If this is true, did this influence your decision to create a system that wasn’t based so heavily on people? Or am I reading too much into this, or over-estimating the popularity of PA/PAO systems?

  1. Having learnt three 52 stage loci, I thought, for fun and as an experiment, I’d try my hand at creating an artificial memory palace for the purpose of memorising pi. I have no aspirations to compete in anything at the moment, so I’m not too fussed about maximising efficiency in ways that you hinted at. However I am still wondering about the limits and usefulness of artificial memory palaces. I explain what I mean by first describing the palace:

The palace so far consists of a large central atrium, where I can place various useful facts about pi. To the west and east are two wings, with the floors strewn with shredded paper and straw/hay to delineate them respectively. Each wing branches into five corridors, each corridor branches into five rooms. Now, each of these five rooms functionally are more or less based on a house, i.e. bedroom, study, bathroom, kitchen, sitting room, so as to maximise uniqueness. However, there are still ten bathrooms, ten kitchens, etc. so to try and delineate them the obvious thing to do is to vary the interior design (like I have done with the paper and straw).

Now, with only ten or so copies, it doesn’t seem likely I’ll run into to many difficulties. However, how scalable is a system like this? For instance, I could easily imagine that one would confuse easily if they attempted a hundred floor monstrosity, say using ten different wall colours, furnishing types, and floor patterns. (e.g. “was it Napoleon scratching decks here in the kitchen with the tiled floor, burgundy walls and wicker furniture? Or am I confusing him with Amy Childs using the spectroscope in the kitchen with the hardwood floor, grey walls and mahogany furniture?”).

So after that ramble, I suppose my question is: are “mass copy” systems like these feasible for artificial palaces, or is it simply too easy to confuse images with them? Do you ever use systems like this, or if you find yourself creating artificial palaces, do you find it necessary to slowly craft a meaningful and unique setting?

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi ben :slight_smile: & thank U for that …
Two things I like to share and I want Your opinion !..

1)- I dont have enough memory palaces and journeys compared to the informations that I want to memorize…so,I want to ask you about build up a memory palace by using museum view of google art project … for example: I choose 52 files from the white house of U.S :slight_smile: and I review it many times by walking through it virtually to make it as vivd as possible and it works greatly for me :slight_smile: … so I planned to memorize the rest museums in my holiday next months preparing for the next year of medicine …so Theoretically I’d have large numbers of memory palaces (about 72 museums) divide them later to 4 groups…one group for each subject … Each group is associated with each other by putting an image in the last file of certain museum that image represent the next museum and so on…
Note I mention just museums this because the museums filled with details & more clear for me than the usual street view

2)- I also have an idea that I make a large notebook for some conditions/diseases and their associated images sorted by Letters help me to make sure of association and prevent the variation of images for one disease

What you think about that ? am I On the right track or memory palaces from the virtually walking is useless :confused:

Forgive me about my english is not so strong :slight_smile: …

  1. Spoken numbers is a different kind of thing, yes. But the numbers come through comparatively slowly, and there aren’t really all that many of them, so I do manage to remember information without reviewing. I agree that practicing no-review number memory might well help there, but I think it’s also important to practice listening to spoken numbers as much as possible.

By the way, Wang Feng’s insane record was broken earlier this year - Jonas von Essen did 315 digits! :slight_smile:

  1. For random words, I quite often get words that match some of my images, which obviously makes them more memorable. But my usual technique is just to make a story out of the words, using the first image that comes to mind; I don’t ever stretch things to resemble one of my 2704 images, unless the word happens to be identical to an image’s ‘name’.
  1. Yes, I’m famously bad at remembering what people (even movie stars) look like. About half of my ‘objects’ are people, though, but that does include cartoon characters and other non-humans. Naturally I picked a system that works best for me, and everyone else should do the same!

  2. I’m not a fan of systems like that - taking the same basic image and changing the colour, encasing it in ice, scattering paper over it, or that kind of thing. It’s always seemed to me that it would be too confusing, like you say, and easy to get similar things mixed up.

My locations are all very vague, and not something that I pay much attention to. They’re more of a backdrop, and the important thing is the images I place in them. But we’re definitely in the territory of “different things are good for different people” here, so experiment with different things, and see what works best for you!

  1. That’s a good idea. All my journeys are real places that I’ve been to myself, but I do think it’s a good idea to use places like that. As long as you’re familiar with the museum or whatever, this is something that’d really work.

  2. It makes sense. If things can be arranged in a straight line, rather than a sort of branching tree or a mind map, it’s easier to remember them!

Any techniques you know to memorize a whole book?

Thanks!

That’s not something I’ve ever done, sorry. All I could do is find out what other people have said about it, and paste it here, and that’d be cheating, really…

If I was going to memorise a book, I’d break it into section, pick out a keyword for each and put them on a journey to remember the order of the sections, and then for each section break it into smaller parts and do the same for that.

Alright i will do as you say and see . Thanx!

What about a technical text…like this, for example: Internet protocol suite - Wikipedia
Here are many, many keywords to memorize. Right?
When you say “pick out a keyword for each section”…it means writing the keywords on a paper or on a journey?

Can you please make a small tutorial for this kind of text.

Many thanks!

Yep, we’re definitely into subjects where I have to say “I just don’t know!”

I’ve never tried to memorise anything like that before, as I said - all I can really do here is promise to think about it and come up with a few suggestions; I’m really, really not qualified to write a small tutorial! :slight_smile:

Ben you are a CHAMPION and we all are sure that you CAN, please spare sometime to come with with tactics to help normal people with their problems, you have the brain of a champion, expectations are high Ben :slight_smile:

I’m flattered, and slightly disturbed. :slight_smile:

See, there are many, many people out there who claim to be an expert on EVERYTHING because they once attended a memory competition and remembered a few numbers, and they cheerfully sell advice on things they know absolutely nothing about. I prefer to make it clear that if you ask me how to do something I’ve never done before, you’re not going to get very far. Bear in mind that it took me three years of memory training to come up with a system that helped me win the world championship. That’s the kind of timescale we’re looking at for me to give you reliable and useful advice on any other subject you might want to ask me about.

… But since everyone asked so nicely, and since I said I’d write a memory-themed article every week, I’ll put some thoughts together about memorising texts, and share them with you this weekend. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comment, but remember, that this topic is about “memory champion - Ben”, not about me. So don’t talk about my personal achievements and so on. I appreciate your observation and reading of my comments, but keep the point of this topic, “ask a memory champion”. I don’t mean to be rude, I just wanna keep it clean here. I know it’s ironic because this comment is just adding to that “pointless stuff about me”. :smiley: