Your Mnemonist's BFF (NOT your Smart Phone)?

I LOVE my rubber! I should point out that ‘rubber’ is the Brit for ‘eraser’ . For you crazy kids out there , an eraser is to writing and drawing with a pencil (a stick of wood sharpened to a point to expose a graphite core used formerly to make marks on ‘paper’) what the ‘backspace’ button is to typing on a laptop.

OK Seriously now, I like to go as Old School as possible. Digital is all well and good until the Zombie Apocalypse and the lights going out. The Rapture is going to play merry havoc with all electronic devices. So i sketch my MPs and Journeys with a pencil on actual dead tree format. I make notes and record my images etc the same way. Without my eraser I’d be lost.

And whilst we are on the subject; if you use a pencil then here’s a tip I got from a Technical Drawing teacher about erasers many years ago : SPEND SOME MONEY ON IT! Go to a decent stationers or art supply shop. Don’t try using any kind of coloured ‘novelty’ rubber, especially not the silly little ones on the end of some pencils. You want something made of white or clear ‘plastic’ or ‘polymer’ ,ideally designed by Germans. If you need to save money then save on pencils, the 10 pack of HB made in China at the local £1 shop will do the job (although it is worth spending a little more to get something halfway decent which will sharpen with that novelty sharpener you got out of a Xmas cracker).
Once you have your Vorsprung Durch Technik eraser LOOK AFTER IT and keep it clean…and you’ll be happily rubbing one out for years to come.
SO what’s your ‘Can’t live without’ ?

2 Likes

When I was a kid rubber erasers in the shape of whatever was a big thing. When they were really big, you could give them as birtday present and nobody would think it’s strange. As far as erasing goes, these arty rubbers were completely useless.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember the arty erasers, they were trash at actually erasing. The best erasers I’ve used were the big white or gray ones made for artists.

1 Like

Exactly, the use of a good pencil and eraser gives a different kind of vibe. Its simple yet so sensational.

1 Like