Your favourite quotes

My 2 absolute favourites:

Everywhere is better than somewhere else. -Kaljo Kiisk in Õnne 13 (an Estonian TV series)
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -Shakespeare Hamlet

Others:

Appearance is everything.
An early attempt at wingsuit flying was made on 4 February 1912 by a 33 year old tailor, Franz Reichelt, who jumped from the Eiffel Tower to test his invention of a combination of parachute and wing, which was similar to modern wingsuits. He misled the guards by saying that the experiment was going to be conducted with a dummy. He hesitated quite a long time before he jumped, and hit the ground head first, opening a measurable hole, but an autopsy showed that he died of a heart attack before hitting the pavement -Wikipedia
Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. -A.Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -A.Einstein
Do what you must, And your friends will adjust. -Robert Brault
Eat the ■■■■■■■ fruit! -Darkmatter2525 If Man Obeyed God
You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear. - Sherlock Holmes in A.Conan Doyle’s A Scandal in Bohemia
Best quotes aren’t always those that you make yourself. -Me
Hope I didn’t plagiarize this one. -Me
2 Likes

I only know the sources for some of these:

Related to living in general:

"It is not dying that a man should fear, but a man should fear never having lived at all." —Marcus Aurelius (?)

“Those who say it can’t be done shouldn’t interrupt those doing it.”

“‘Being realistic’ is the most common road to mediocrity.”
—Will Smith (I think)

“How one does anything is how one does everything.”

“Be silent unless you can say something better than silence.”

“When you are cold, flap your arms; when you are overheated, be still.”

Related to travel:

"Happy is the man who, before dying, has the good fortune to sail the Aegean sea." —Nikos Kazantzakis

“At nyght was come into that hostelrye
Wel nyne and twenty in a companye,
Of sondry folk, by aventure yfalle
In felaweshipe, and pilgrims were they alle…”

—Chaucer

Favorite funny quote:

Kirk: You'd make a splendid computer, Mr. Spock. Spock: That is very kind of you, Captain!
2 Likes
“Here the spirit becomes a lion who would conquer his freedom and be master in his own desert. Here he seeks out his last master: he wants to fight him and his last god; for ultimate victory he wants to fight with the great dragon. Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? “Thou shalt” is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, “I will.” “Thou shalt” lies in his way, sparkling like gold, an animal covered with scaled; and on every scale shines a golden “thou shalt.” My brothers, why is there a need in the spirit for the lion? Why is not the beast of burden, which renounces and is reverent, enough? To create new values—that even the lion cannot do; but the creation of freedom for oneself for new creation—that is within the power of the lion. The creation of freedom for oneself and a sacred “No” even to duty—for that, my brothers, the lion is needed. To assume the right to new values—that is the most terrifying assumption for a reverent spirit that would bear much.”
- Nietzsche
“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.”

“No matter what happened to you in your past, you are not your past, you are the resources and the capabilities you glean from it. And that is the basis for all change.”

“Successful people are 100% convinced that they are masters of their own destiny , they’re not creatures of circumstance, they create circumstance, if the circumstances around them suck they change them.”

“See things as they are, but not worse than they are. Then, see things better than they are, and develop a plan to get there.”

-Jordan Belfort
"A moment of pain is worth a lifetime of glory."
-Unknown
"There are two kinds of pain. Sort of pain that makes you strong, or useless pain; sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no patience for useless things.

Moments like this require someone who will act. Do the unpleasant thing. The necessary thing."

“What a waste of talent. He chose money over power; in this town a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after ten years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn’t see the difference.”

"I’ll tell you what Pops. When they bury me, it won’t be in my backyard. And when they come to pay their respects; they’ll have to wait in line. "

• Frank Underwood (House of Cards)

I have many many more…

Bateman

1 Like
Anybody tells you that money is the root of all evil; doesn't f---ing have any!
- Boiler Room
They say 'It's what's on the inside that matters'. They're absolutely right. And your outsides are the best indication of your insides.
- Victor Pride

Bateman

1 Like

I don’t want good generals, I want lucky ones.
– Napoleon Bonaparte
Life is pain, anyone telling you something different is trying to sell you something.
–The Princess Bride

1 Like

-Rock Lee: A dropout will beat a genius through hard work. (NARUTO)

-Weakness is a sin.
Crocodile (One Piece)

2 Likes

That reminds me of another quote I heard recently: “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” (apparently from the Marines)

Fictional Quotes:
“When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three. And now, the twilight of my life, this understanding has passed into contentment.”
Ezio Auditore

"Life’s hardest choices are the ones that force you to question your own moral code.
Shay Cormac

“sucking at something is the first step being sorta good at something”
Jake

“Ohana means Familiy, Family means no one gets left behind”
Stich

“I’ll leave tomorrow’s problems to tomorrow’s me”
Saitama

Non-fictional Quotes:
“You see things and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were, and I say 'Why not?”
George Bernard Shaw

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
Winston Churchill

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx

“My philosophy is: If you can’t have fun, there’s no sense in doing it.”
Paul Walker

and my very favorite:
lincoln

1 Like

All time fave:

A good memory is one trained to forget the trivial. Clifton Fadiman

1 Like

“Life is just one damn relatedness after another.” - Charlie Munger

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” - Mark Twain

Just a couple that I like.

1 Like

“That’s one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong

“THIS MAN WAS GAY AND DID A LOT OF DRUGS” - some teen girl on Twitter, referring to American poet Allen Ginsberg

“I like shorts! They’re comfy and easy to wear!” - some youngster (literally) in the video games Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow

“I eventually had to remove my mother from my deck.” - mnemonist Ed Cooke, as quoted by Josh Foer in Moonwalking with Einstein.

“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets!” - Spongebob Squarepants (animated American kids’ show)

“How come we play war and not peace?” “Too few role models.” - Calvin and Hobbes (title characters in a great American comic strip of the 80s and 90s)

“Thank you for joining me in a reading of my hate mail.” - Richard Dawkins, in a Reddit AMA

Area Man Eats Entire Bag of “Chex Party Mix” All By Himself - headline from satire newspaper The Onion

“Sunshine daisies butter mellow, turn this stupid fat rat yellow” - “spell” taught to young wizard Ron Weasley by his prankster older brothers (to be performed on his rat Scabbers) in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone

“You can’t fight in here, this is the War Room!” - American Cold War film Dr. Strangelove

“Please do not offer my god a peanut.” - Indian shopkeeper Apu (who is Hindu) on The Simpsons (the animated TV show which is now in season 28 or so)

“R’Amen” - the proper ending of prayers to satire deity The Flying Spaghetti Monster

1 Like

The King: I will simply deny you the crown and… [sputters] live forever! [wife facepalms]
Prince Henry: Good. Agreed. I don’t want it.
– Ever After: A Cinderella Story

LoL so accurate: bronze players calling bronze players bronze players.
– Random League of Legends player (punctuation mine)

“Anypony who chooses t’ be a filthy, murderin’ raider gets tried an’ perforated as an adult,” Calamity asserted.
– Calamity, Fallout: Equestria, Chapter 16

Honestly, a song that inspires patriotism the first one hundred times you hear it will inevitably stop doing so within the first one thousand.
– Midnight Shower, Fallout Equestria, Chapter 36

“Where…” Nope, that was it. My legs decided that they were done with this standing thing and wanted to try something else. How about falling over? Yep, that sounded good.
Thump.
– Littlepip, Fallout: Equestria, Chapter 39

And now some more serious ones, just for variety’s sake:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
– Nietzsche

Prince: Romeo slew him; he slew Mercutio.
Who now the price of his dear blood doth owe?
Montague: Not Romeo, Prince; he was Mercutio’s friend.
His fault concludes but what the law should end,
The life of Tybalt.
Prince: And for that offence
Immediately we do exile him hence.

Bear hence this body and attend our will.
Mercy but murders, pardoning those that kill.
– Romeo and Juliet

I’m not corrupted kindness, I whimpered back at the mare in my mind. But I didn’t believe it. Not anymore. Trixie had been right. Or I had made her right.
– Littlepip, Fallout: Equestria, Chapter 35

Loss. It doesn’t bring out the best in us, or the worst, although it can do either. It doesn’t show us who we truly are. It just hurts. And it makes us all the same. Even the most sadistic raider, immune to empathy, who draws joy and strength from the suffering of others, will feel grief over a loss they suffer themselves.
– Littlepip, Fallout: Equestria, Chapter 40

DeWitt: I’m talking about a clean slate.
Caroline: You ever try to clean an actual slate? You always see what was on it before.
– Dollhouse s1e1

The clearest picture of the empty life is the suburban man, who gets up at the same hour every weekday morning, takes the same train to work in the city, performs the same task in the office, lunches at the same place, leaves the same tip for the waitress each day, comes home on the same train each night, has two, three children, cultivates a little garden, spends a two-week vacation at the shore every summer which he does not enjoy, goes to the church every Christmas and Easter, and moves through a routine, mechanical existence year after year until he finally retires at sixty-five and very soon thereafter dies of heart failure, possibly brought on by repressed hostility. I have always had the secret suspicion, however, that he dies of boredom.

• Rollo May

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

• Oscar Wilde
1 Like

"So, it is necessary to admonish someone to hold a friend that, while amid a crowd and yells of idiots, you may pay attention to and finally hear his voice only" Seneca

The man who has hoped for the fasces longs to put them down once he gets them and says constantly, “When will this year be over?” This man sponsors games which he once valued as a great opportunity for him, yet he says “When can I get away from them?” A lawyer is raised up by the whole forum and with full crowd beyond where he can be heard, but he complains “When will we have a break?” Everyone speeds their own life along and suffers for a desire for the future and boredom with the present.

But the person who portions out every moment to his own use, who schedules out every day like it is the last, neither hopes for nor fears tomorrows. For what kind of new pleasure is any hour alone capable of bringing? Everything is known and has been enjoyed fully. Fortune may by chance bring out something else, but life is already safe. Something can be added; nothing can be subtracted, and he will accept anything which is added like someone who is already satisfied and full will take some food he does not desire.

"Therefore, it is not right to think that anyone has lived long because of grey hair or wrinkles. He has not lived a while, but he has existed a while. Certainly, what if you thought that he had traveled far whom a terrible storm grabbed in the harbor and dragged here and there in turns of winds raging from different directions and drove him over the same space in a circle? He did not travel far, but he was tossed around a lot" Seneca

Glaucon (Plato’s brother) - I understand, Socrates. We have arrived at this city, in which you say we now live, but it stands only in our mind, since I think, for sure, it is nowhere in earth.
Socrates - But anyway, Glaucon, this city stands as a paradigm in the sky leaning towards whomever may want to look at it and, seeing it, live there. I don’t even care whether it exists or will ever exist. The citizen of this city is not the one that lives in it, but he who, wherever he may be, will look to the sky and see the constitution only of this city and follow it only, not of any other. Plato

You appreciate the old, Vacerra, poets and praise them only if they are dead, but I shall ask you to pardon me, Vacerra, you are not worth, just as to please you, to die for. Martial VIII.69

PRAXAGORAS - I want all to have a share of everything and all property to be in common; there will no longer be either rich or poor; no longer shall we see one man harvesting vast tracts of land, while another has not ground enough to be buried in, nor one man surround himself with a whole army of slaves, while another has not a single attendant; I intend that there shan only be one and the same condition of life for all.
BLEPYRUS - But who will till the soil?
PRAXAGORAS - The slaves.
BLEPYRUS - Ah.
- Aristophanes

“I lied before. I had one left.”
– Madoka, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika

“‘Wicked and cruel boy!’ I said. ‘You are like a murderer – you are like a slave-driver – you are like the Roman emperors!’
I had read Goldsmith’s History of Rome, and had formed my opinion of Nero, Caligula, &c. Also I had drawn parallels in silence, which I never thought thus to have declared aloud.”
– Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

“I resisted all the way: a new thing for me, and a circumstance which greatly strengthened the bad opinion Bessie and Miss Abbot were disposed to entertain of me. The fact is, I was a trifle beside myself; or rather out of myself, as the French would say: I was conscious that a moment’s mutiny had already rendered me liable to strange penalties, and, like any other rebel slave, I felt resolved, in my desperation, to go all lengths.”
– Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

“‘And the Psalms? I hope you like them.’
‘No, sir.’
'No? oh, shocking! I have a little boy, younger than you, who knows six Psalms by heart: and when you ask him which he would rather have, a gingerbread nut to eat or a verse of a Psalm to learn, he says: “Oh! the verse of a Psalm! angels sing Psalms;” says he, " I wish to be a little angel here below;” he then gets two nuts in recompense for his infant piety.’"
– “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte

“There was I, then, mounted aloft; I, who had said I could not bear the shame of standing on my natural feet in the middle of the room, was now exposed to general view on a pedastal of infamy. What my sensations were, no language can describe; but just as they all rose, stifling my breath and constricting my throat, a girl came up and passed me: in passing, she lifted her eyes. What a strange light inspired them! What an extraordinary sensation that ray sent through me! How the new feeling bore me up! It was as if a martyr, a hero, had passed a slave or victim, and imparted strength in the transit. I mastered the rising hysteria, lifted up my head, and took a firm stand on the stool. Helen Burns asked some slight question about her work of Miss Smith, was chidden for the triviality of the inquiry, returned to her place, and smiled at me as she again went by. What a smile! I remember it now, and I know that it was the effluence of fine intellect, of true courage; it lit up her marked lineaments, her thin face, her sunken grey eye, like a reflection from the aspect of an angel. Yet at that moment Helen Burns wore on her arm ‘the untidy badge;’ scarcely an hour ago I had heard her condemned by Miss Scatcherd to a dinner of bread and water on the morrow because she had blotted an exercise in copying it out. Such is the imperfect nature of man! such spots are there on the disc of the clearest planet; and eyes like Miss Scatchered’s can only see those minute defects, and are blind to the full brightness of the orb.”
– “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte

"When I was a young man, and very well thought of,
I couldn’t ask aught that the ladies denied.
I nibbled their hearts like a handful of raisins,
And I never spoke love but I knew that I lied.

But I said to myself, ‘Ah, they none of them know
The secret I shelter and savor and save.
I wait for the one who will see through my seeming,
And I’ll know when I love by the way I behave.’

The years drifted over like clouds in the heavens;
The ladies went by me like snow on the wind.
I charmed and I cheated, deceived and dissembled,
And I sinned, and I sinned, and I sinned, and I sinned.

But I said to myself, ‘Ah, they none of them see
There’s part of me pure as the whisk of a wave.
My lady is late, but she’ll find I’ve been faithful,
And I’ll know when I love by the way I behave.’

At last came a lady both knowing and tender,
Saying, ‘You’re not at all what they take you to be.’
I betrayed her before she had quite finished speaking,
And she swallowed cold poison and jumped in the sea.

And I say to myself, when there’s time for a word,
As I gracefully grow more debauched and depraved,
‘Ah, love may be strong, but a habit is stronger,
And I knew when I loved by the way I behaved.’"
– Poem from “The Last Unicorn” by Peter S. Beagle

“A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing What he Reads.”
– “Principia Discordia”, “The Five Commandments”, “V”

“But Omar lamented, saying unto the Angel: What is this shit, man? What care I for the Word and Sayings? What care I for the Inspiration of all men? Wherein does it profit a man to be a Scribe to the Gods when the Scribes of the Governments do nothing, yet are paid better wages?”
– “Principia Discordia”, “The Honest Book of Truth, the Book of Explanations 1:8”

“The SOCRATIC APPROACH is most successful when confronting the ignorant. The “socratic approach” is what you call starting an argument by asking questions. You approach the innocent and simply ask “Did you know that God’s name is ERIS, and that He is a girl?” If he should answer “Yes.” then he probably is a fellow Erisian and so you can forget it. If he says “No.” then quickly proceed to:
THE BLIND ASSERTION and say “Well, He Is a girl, and His name is ERIS!” Shrewedly observe if the subject is convinced. If he is, swear him into the Legion of Dynamic Discord before he changes his mind. If he does not appear convinced, then proceed to:
THE FAITH BIT: “But you must have Faith! All is lost without Faith! I sure feel sorry for you if you don’t have Faith.” And then add:
THE ARGUMENT BY FEAR and in an ominous voice ask “Do you know what happens to those who deny Goddess?” If he hesitates, don’t tell him that he will surely be reincarnated as a precious Mao Button and distributed to the poor in the Region of Thud (which would be a mean thing to say), just shake your head sadly and, while wiping a tear from your eye, go to:
THE FIRST CLAUSE PLOY wherein you point to all of the discord and confusion in the world and exclaim “Well who the hell do you think did all of this, wise guy?” If he says, “Nobody, just impersonal forces.” then quickly respond with:
THE ARGUMENT BY SEMANTICAL GYMNASTICS and say that he is absolutely right, and that those impersonal forces are female and that Her name is ERIS. If he, wonder of wonders, still remains obstinate, then finally resort to:
THE FIGURATIVE SYMBOLISM DODGE and confide that sophisticated people like himself recognize that Eris is a Figurative Symbol for an Ineffable Metaphysical Reality and that The Erisian Movement is really more like a poem than like a science and that he is liable to be turned into a Precious Mao Button and Distributed to The Poor in The Region of Thud if he does not get hip. Then put him on your mailing list.”
– “Principia Discordia”, “A Primer for Erisian Evangelists”

2 Likes

“Always Be Positive, Don’t Think Negative”

I see a lot of Jane Eyre there, I’ve been obsessing about that book for most of my teenage years :smiley: such good memories

1 Like

I like this one from Sherlock Holmes:
“Circumstantial evidence is a very tricky thing,” answered Holmes thoughtfully. “It may seem to point very straight to one thing, but if you shift your own point of view a little, you may find it pointing in an equally uncompromising manner to something entirely different.”
…The Boscombe Valley Mystery

A fun and humorous one (even if a bit dark):
“History. It’s just one bloody thing after another”
…Apparently from the film ‘The History Boys’, 2006

A thoughtful one:
“If your absence doesn’t affect them, then your presence never mattered.”
…don’t know the source

An inspirational one: The man in the arena:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
…Theodore Roosevelt, 1910.

1 Like

“Yes, makin’ mock o’ uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;
An’ hustlin’ drunken soldiers when they’re goin’ large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin’ in full kit.
[…]
For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Chuck him out, the brute!”
But it’s “Saviour of 'is country” when the guns begin to shoot;
An’ it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ anything you please;
An’ Tommy ain’t a bloomin’ fool – you bet that Tommy sees!”
– “Tommy” by Rudyard Kipling

“… Milo Inc is in the red to the tune of, at last count, over four million dollars. Still, it’s not all bad news. Do you know how successful you have to be to end up owing $4 million? You go out and try to get four million in debt. Go on. Tell me how long it takes to get someone to lend you that much money.”
– “Milo: How to be Poor” by Milo Yiannopoulos

“If you are anything like most kids, you will not read this introduction. You want to skip past the boring parts and jump ahead to where the dragon is attacking the castle or the detective uncovers the most important clue. If you are like that, you are among the thousands of children who do not read introductions to books. Tedious paragraphs that explain why reading a particular book is going to be ‘good for you’ is like having your parents make you eat lima beans before you can have dessert. How dreadful. It may be good for you, but it certainly isn’t any fun.”
– “Boomtown” by Nowen N. Particular (aka Marty Longé)

“I almost died today. Not quite, but almost. Not by any of the most common methods–heart attack, car accident, drowning, old age–that sort of thing. My survival was measured in inches. If my truck driver hadn’t tackled me; if he didn’t have the foresight to jump on me and knock me into the water; if he had hesitated even for a moment, this book would be five sentences long and it would end with dot, dot, dot…”
– “Boomtown” by Nowen N. Particular (aka Marty Longé)

“This indeed is the case with most of us: certainly with me. For that reason I think it important to try to see the present calamity in a true perspective, the war creates no absolutely new situation: it simply aggravates the permanent human situation so that we can no longer ignore it. Human life has always been lived on the edge of a precipice. Human culture has always had to exist under the shadow of something infinitely more important than itself. If men had postponed the search for knowledge and beauty until they were secure the search would never have begun. We are mistaken when we compare war with “normal life”. Life has never been normal. Even those periods which we think most tranquil, like the nineteenth century, turn out, on closer inspection, to be full of cries, alarms, difficulties, emergencies. Plausible reasons have never been lacking for putting off all merely cultural activities until some imminent danger has been averted or some crying injustice put right. But humanity long ago chose to neglect those plausible reasons. They wanted knowledge and beauty now, and would not wait for the suitable moment that never come. Periclean Athens leaves us not only the Parthenon but, significantly, the Funeral Oration. The insects have chosen a different line: they have sought first the material welfare and security of the hive, and presumable they have their reward. Men are different.They propound mathematical theorems in beleaguered cities, conduct metaphysical arguments in condemned cells, make jokes on scaffold, discuss, the last new poem while advancing to the walls of Quebec, and comb their hair at Thermopylae. This is not panache; it is our nature.”
– “The Weight of Glory” by CS Lewis

“Now I ask you: what can be expected of man since he is a being endowed with strange qualities? Shower upon him every earthly blessing, drown him in a sea of happiness, so that nothing but bubbles of bliss can be seen on the surface; give him economic prosperity, such that he should have nothing else to do but sleep, eat cakes and busy himself with the continuation of his species, and even then out of sheer ingratitude, sheer spite, man would play you some nasty trick. He would even risk his cakes and would deliberately desire the most fatal rubbish, the most uneconomical absurdity, simply to introduce into all this positive good sense his fatal fantastic element. It is just his fantastic dreams, his vulgar folly that he will desire to retain, simply in order to prove to himself–as though that were so necessary–that men still are men and not the keys of a piano, which the laws of nature threaten to control so completely that soon one will be able to desire nothing but by the calendar. And that is not all: even if man really were nothing but a piano-key, even if this were proved to him by natural science and mathematics, even then he would not become reasonable, but would purposely do something perverse out of simple ingratitude, simply to gain his point. And if he does not find means he will contrive destruction and chaos, will contrive sufferings of all sorts, only to gain his point! He will launch a curse upon the world, and as only man can curse (it is his privilege, the primary distinction between him and other animals), may be by his curse alone he will attain his object–that is, convince himself that he is a man and not a piano-key! If you say that all this, too, can be calculated and tabulated–chaos and darkness and curses, so that the mere possibility of calculating it all beforehand would stop it all, and reason would reassert itself, then man would purposely go mad in order to be rid of reason and gain his point! I believe in it, I answer for it, for the whole work of man really seems to consist in nothing but proving to himself every minute that he is a man and not a piano-key! It may be at the cost of his skin, it may be by cannibalism! And this being so, can one help being tempted to rejoice that it has not yet come off, and that desire still depends on something we don’t know?”
– “Notes from the Underground” by Fyodor Dostoevsky

“In what weird alternative universe would that girl NOT be Sorted into Ravenclaw? If Hermione Granger didn’t go to Ravenclaw then there was no good reason for Ravenclaw House to exist.”
– “Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality” by Eliezer Yudkowsky

“ALIENS”
[…]
‘“What? S***!” shouted Akon, who didn’t realize until later that his words would be inscribed for all time in the annals of history.’
– “Three Worlds Collide” by Eliezer Yudkowsky

‘Slowly, elaborately, Akon’s head dropped to the table with a dull thud. “Why couldn’t we have been alone in the universe?”’

“Thank you and remember, your safeword should be at least 10 characters and contain a mixture of letters and numbers. We now return you to your regularly scheduled reading. Yours, the author.”

“I’m reading a book called Thesaurus, by Peter Mark Roget. I’m up to Chapter 427, entitled Semitransparency. It’s a good story, but I think the author is a bit of a show off with his vocabulary.”
– “I Think #80

1 Like

Every enemy is a cure for you. He benefits you: he calms the heart, because you run away from him and give yourself to solitude, and expect the mercy of God.

Rumi Quotes - From The Why Culture