What is your greatest memory feat?

Hey,

I just wonder about your best memory feat.
Mine was to memorize 200 digits of pi and several poems and recite them even after a year correctly.

10 Likes

I guess my greatest feat is my ability to recall the release year of almost every movie I have ever seen (350+). But I never tried to accomplish this on purpose, I just knew them.

My greatest feat that I tried on purpose was memorizing pi to 420 decimals.

I had an incident a few years ago and I was worried if it affected my brain so I tested my memory by memorizing pi. When I reached 420 I was satisfied, I could’ve gone much further.

9 Likes

That is… breathtaking.

Thank you for your comment!

2 Likes

I did not go on to 420 like Johnny, but I memorized the first 314 digits of pi, for a lecture I got to give on memory, which was on pi day, hence why I did it.

One of my biggest feats is my memory city I think. Close to a thousand memory palaces and peg lists that have a combined storage of around 150.000 loci.

Most are used for long-term storage, and recently I restarted to share the ones I make in the video game Fallout 4 here. While not a memory feat, being able to share that, and hopefully help people realize how big the range of potential loci is, is something I am proud of doing.

13 Likes

Before going to my friend’s wedding I memorised the guest list of 120 names. I did this for two reasons 1) to avoid blanking on names of people who I hadn’t seen for years and 2) practice.

My mother asked me who was going to the wedding and to her surprise and my delight I told her.

Andrew.

10 Likes

Well, my highest performance is 15 minutes old. And it’s not a memory feat, but an educational one.

My 7 years old is back from school. And she tells me:
1- that she has to learn a poetry for tomorrow. Argh; the WHOLE poetry? But, treasure… you just had the first lines for yesterday, and it leaves us with… Oh My God. 20 lines. For tomorrow?
2- she forgot the book.

5 minutes later, I find back the text (lucky we are she had the title, and I remembered the author, and it’s public domain).

And, every hope lost, I decide we have nothing to lose, and give her the first session of loci method she ever had and I ever gave. Because I practice the techniques for only several days.

She put waypoints in her own room, filled them with images remembering the text. I made her tell it 3 times, and you know what? She just fell asleep, after telling the whole damn thing with only minor mistakes. One of them was the writer; she couldn’t have it right; but she found that her cousin had a very near name, and she built an association that made her remember him. I just helped her a little.

Last year, I would just have weeped and she would have slept one hour later, after dozens of dull and dumb repetitions, with a father (me) yelling at her because she was not dedicated enough.

Well. That was good. I’m too proud of her.

14 Likes

When I was just getting back into memory techniques a couple of years ago, one of my first challenges was to memorize the 50 US states in alphabetical order. I thought I was doing pretty well until an older brother-in-law — who loves to wind people up — said, “Yeah, but can you do them in chronological order?”

Uh, no.

One week later, I could. (True to form, though, my brother-in-law just shrugged…)

That was my first real use of a memory palace, memorizing the US states and the dates they became states. Coming up with month/day/year and state images that all united was a challenge. But the information continues to be there for me when I go back and review it.

Bob

5 Likes

What was your approach to this? I think I’d have a memory palace with 50 locations to place a stand-in for the state (landmark of mnemonic) and then add a PAO image with dd-mm-yy (dropping the century part.)

I think some states became states on the same day if memory serves… so alternatively, each of those dates as a location in the palace and then place all the relevant landmarks linked together at that location… that could also be that many (as many as there are dates) small palaces with one state per location.

1 Like

Only North Dakota and South Dakota became states on the same day. In fact, the president at the time refused to admit which bill was signed first.

For me, my best feat would be memorizing the countries of the world, though I did so by rote and before I knew of any memory techniques. I went approximately by geographic region, adding a few at a time until the entire map was memorized. I can recall all of the national flags as well as most of the capitals (I still mess up on some small countries that almost don’t exist in my mind).

3 Likes

This is impressive!
Great job, Maya

1 Like

I’ve described some of my process in previous threads, so I apologize if folks have read some of this before.

For all but the first state, I used my grandmother’s home (which we visited annually when I was a child) as my memory palace. The house no longer exists, so I thought it would be a good way to regularly revisit it. Bedrooms all have one location on the bed, three locations on top of a dresser, and one location on the floor under the dresser. Other rooms are handled as I saw fit.

I didn’t want to drop the centuries, since states were added across three centuries and I immediately wanted to be able to tell which one I was in with a given state. So, based on Major, I have three century “characters,” a duck (17–), a dove (18–), and a TaBby cat (19–). Each of these characters performs a specific action that gives me the year.

I then have things/symbols for all of the months (except I never needed to use September.) January is my Aunt Jan, November is a turkey, etc. Actual day dates are based on Major or rhymes or weird associations I came up with early on and never bothered to improve!

States were all represented by images created either by punning on their name or from something they are actually known for.

Examples:

Michigan: My Aunt Jan is standing at the top of the stairs leading to my grandmother’s attic. She is wearing giant oven gloves shaped liked mittens (to mimic the shape of Michigan). She is standing in a pile of gooey nachos (26). A dove (18–) flies down and lands at her feet, where it gets stuck in a pile of muck (37). So: January 26, 1837.

California: A music box on a dresser opens, playing the Beach Boys (California) singing “September Song.” As they sing, a long vine (9) grows up out of the box and wraps around the foot of a passing dove (18), who shouts, “Turn me loose!” (50). So: September 9, 1850.

Oklahoma: A giant neon sign that says “OK” is sitting on my grandmother’s living room sofa. Inside the vertical “O,” a turkey (November) is driving (16) a little toy car around and around in circles. A TaBby cat (19) is watching and gets so dizzy it gets sick (07) on the sofa. So: November 16, 1907.

Bob

5 Likes

My 5 year old daughter’s greatest feat is memorizing 80 random words using a mind palace and she also memorized the US Presidents

6 Likes

Amazing Teya!

1 Like

Great! That is awesome, Teya.

1 Like

Wow, kudos to your school for even hosting such an event! Not that knowing pi is all that important—which, as far I’m aware, it isn’t—but the focus on, and school support for, a display of memory is wonderful.

Bob

1 Like

Thereby exceeding the ability of 90% of the American population, I’d guess…

Bob

1 Like

I memorized 7000 digits of pi. 3000 by placing the digits into groups of 5, and the next 4000 using the major system. The first 3000 were learned over the course of about 6 years, 100 digits a day here and there. The next 4000 were 1000 a month earlier this year.

3 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

Not a joke. Today it was a mcdonalds coupon code :fries::hamburger::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

That is great, too!

I learned some PSC codes
It’s always a fun exercise!

2 Likes