Weekly Memory Challenges, and 3-Month Language Learning

What if I create a feature where anyone could add memory challenges, and we could test it out? Then, based on feedback we could modify the system if necessary. The whole thing is an experiment… :slight_smile:

By the way, the “friends” system is active now. To add someone as a friend, visit their user page and click on the link to send an invitation. The invitation will send an e-mail to the person. If you would like to shut off those friend-request e-mails, visit your user page and click “edit”.

If I am able to integrate the “friends” system with the memory challenges, then groups of similar-minded people could invite each other to the challenges that they are interested in.

I’ve just enabled the Memory Challenge feature as an experiment.

Here is how it works at the moment, but we can change it if people have suggestions:

To add a challenge, click on the “create content” link in the sidebar and choose “Memory Challenge”.

Click here to view a sample memory challenge.

To sign up for a Challenge, click on the “Sign up” button on any Memory Challenge page:

memory challenges sign up

After you sign up, your name will appear in the list of people who are participating:

memory challenges list of participants

Discussion about the Challenge can take place in the comments on each Memory Challenge page.

Please let me know what you think… :slight_smile:

As people add Challenges, they will show up on the Memory Challenges page. There is a link to it in the main menu just under the header. The Challenges are organized by category, so people will be able to find what they’re looking for.

If you don’t see something there that you want to memorize, feel free to add a new Challenge…

Is this still happening? Or has it been transformed into the grandmaster preparation?

They are still taking place, but they aren’t “weekly”. You can join a memory challenge or add a new one anytime on this page:

I think memory challenges is an excellent idea!

Would be nice if we could collect all information (in a structured form) with suggestions for how to remember the facts. Kind of like memrise but for everything.

There is space for that in the memory wiki and comments. I’m going to work on the wiki this summer, by integrating it more closely into the rest of the site. That will take a bit of work though…

Here is a list of all the wiki pages:
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Special:AllPages

Feel free to jump in and add/edit content. :slight_smile:

Wow, really great initiative Josh, I always thought a feature like this would be great for this site. More and more people doing their education online nowadays should boost the activity in the close future. Really sad it hasn’t really taken off, only 7 challenges this year. Would have been great if the challenges had more participants and a live message board. I wonder why this isnt so :/.

// Im sorry, i didn’t intend for it to get so long. And with the English, bear with me, it is late and i haven’t used it in a while. If something wasn’t clear, don’t hesitate to ask.

One more thing i have thought about would be to collect a lot of case studies “challenges” similar to the weekly challenge but without the group aspect. I have for a long time been hoping to get some measurement tools into this area, something that could measure the amount of success of a certain method for a certain topic had.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a database of case studies where we could search for certain topics, keywords, methods and than find a case study for that topic. Where a person already outline his/her approach of how to learn the subject. For example, lets say i want to use a study technique for my economy course (which i did). I would than create a case study.

Than begin to shortly describe what the course is about, any trivia needed to get the whole point, i.e. an Introduction. Than go on to describe the mnemonic used, and also keep track of progress. The important thing would be to use some kind of measurement tool during the whole project, partly to keep track yourself, but also for other to see if they might do better using your type of mnemonic technique .

Back to my economy case. I will make a very short case study to highlight what i mean.

Title: A case study of how to learn Microeconomics using a memory palace

Search terms for database
(Title, Category: Economy, Subcategory?: Microeconomics, Economy knowledge: None, Study technique used: Memory Palace, age: 24 etc. etc.).

Measure tools
I will being by timing all my engaged time in the course, both individual parts like the creation of a memory palace and its memorization. I will also measure my reading speed and the score myself of the comprehension iteratively (self scoring the comprehension is actually easier than one might think when using a memory palace). The time parts that i will measure separately are, memory palace - creation - memorization - review and population(reading speed)… xxxxxx

Introduction
This is my first course in economy, i have no previous knowledge in this are except for very common knowledge. I dont even know the meaning of the prefix “micro”. I am currently studying for my bachelor in Computer Science and i decided to take this course because it would really stand out on the CV together with my CS degree. Although i have always been interested in economics, so i will not see this course as tedious. The course will not only talk about the principles but also go about the math related. The course length will be 2 month The goals of the course are … xxxx .

Metod
I have decided to use a memory palace which i will populate with the content of my two textbooks Principles of Microeconomics Saylor and a booklet consisting of math papers.I will create my memory palace in Sims3 and memorize it completely before i begin. My memory palace technique is a bit different as i don’t really memorize static pegs beforehand. I use objects in the house, like a table to interact with the information. I also populate the palace as i read, i take little to no notes xxxx

Analyse
Analyzing your results. The whole time the study took you, how many hours you spent on it in total and its parts. Also Average reading speed, comprehension and if there were any thoughts about the method used, would a traditional method have been better? In my case: I actually have some of these measurement somewhere on my old computer in an excel sheet. What i remember was that the whole thing took a lot of time but also that it worked surprisingly well, this was the first time i used a memory technique in my studies and also the first time i really felt that i learned something for the long run. I really understood the concepts fully not just exam-understood them (if you know what i mean). I also got a good grade “B”, only 6 out of a 100 received this grade and nobody got an A. But as i said, this probably took much longer than if i would have done it the usual way, this might be due to first time usage and at the same time coming up with methods to measure myself. I dont thing i would have gotten n such a good grade without the method tough, even if i would have spent the same amount of time.

The xxxx shows that this isn’t something i have complexity thought out, i.e. how exactly such a case study should best be performed.

I think it would be really useful for the memory community to have a database of such case studied where people could search for a topic they want to lean. Imagine the value for future generations if there would be a database of 1000+ such case studies. Of course these studies will vary in size. For example, all the weekly challenges could be such a study, even something simple ass memorizing all the presidents or as complex as a whole university course.

I want to hear what you guy think about making something like this?

It’s coming soon. We’re building this kind of interactivity into the site. It has just taken much longer than expected. There will start to be additions to the site soon.