One of my main interests with memory techniques is to use them for learning practical information.
Weekly Memory Challenges
I have an idea to create Weekly Memory Challenges where a group of people decides on a set of information to memorize. Everyone then goes off to memorize the information using memory techniques and comes back in a week to share techniques and tips discovered.
I think that having a group of people working on the same project would help increase motivation, and a little bit of friendly competition helps people push themselves a little farther.
Here are some examples of the type of data that could be memorized:
- World data -- example: countries of the world, with major facts like capital cities, heads of state, types of government, etc.
- History topics -- examples: timeline of Roman history or a detailed timeline of a large event like WWI
- Memorizing books -- reading a book, while mind mapping and memorizing the main points
- Poetry -- choosing a set of poems to memorize
- Life-sciences -- examples: all the muscles in the human body, bird identification, structure of plants
- Chemistry -- example: periodic table of elements
- Biographical timelines -- the history of a famous person
- Movie trivia -- example: top 100 movies of all time, their dates, and the major actors involved
- Great ideas -- psychology, philosophy, etc. there are many study guides out there that could provide an outline.
Would anyone here be interested in a regular weekly memory challenge? At the end of the year, we would have 52 sets of useful information stored in our brains, and would probably develop some interesting techniques that could be shared with everyone.
3-Month Language Learning
Another idea is to pick a new language every three months, and see how much vocabulary and basic grammar could be memorized on the side. One of my interests is taking up Latin. Also, everyone is going to have to learn a little Chinese for the next World Memory Championships.
Anyone interested in working together to seeing how much the brain can accomplish in a set amount of time?