Visualization Training

[This thread was copied here from the old forum.]

wesselj 21 September, 2012 - 02:42

When I started out with mnemonics I always read about picturing this scene and that image. Seeing things in your mind’s eye. I don’t know about you, but I found it really really hard to get a hang of this whole visualization thing. In fact for the longest time I believed I am just no good at it.

A lot of water flowed under the bridge, and I read a lot of information on visualization (usually ending somewhere deep in the realm of creating the world you want by simply picturing it). Today I find it relatively easy to great an image in my minds eye, also animating it is becoming easier with every go. So I thought I would write the small series of tutorials I wish I could have read when I started out.

I will post links here if someone might be interested.

When you have been at something for so long, you often forget the questions you had when you started out. So to make sure I do not miss something obvious, please tell me: What are your top 2 questions about visualization that you would like to see answered?

Josh 24 September, 2012 - 12:36

I’d be interested in reading about it. Do you know of any creative visualization exercises?

wesselj 25 September, 2012 - 03:37

Yup there are quite a number of them, where are you at with visualization, and what would you like to do? Are you able to picture static images, or do you want to start at the very basics?

wesselj 25 September, 2012 - 03:57

I begin by showing people that they already have the ability to visualize. Once an individual have gone through the process and are ably to comfortably visualize and experience mental scenes we move into the creative visualization space.

There are multiple levels of creative visualization. It is important to take baby steps, and master each level successively.

Before you can begin the process of visualization you need to be clear on what you wish to accomplish through visualization. Begin with a simple goal, that you can measure. This might be to perfect a golf swing, or to deliver a talk perfectly. Once you decide what you want, you have to write down how you will know that you have been successful in reaching your goal.

The next step is to decide what time each day you will have time to spend at least 30 minutes without distractions or interruptions.

Begin by visualizing having already achieved success. Do this until you feel the emotions and the scene becomes real to you.

Once you have mastered this part of the scene you can begin visualizing the process. Your mind will alert you if your mental image does not fit in with the ending, adjust your actions in the image until you feel comfortable with the process.

It will help if you can find a video of someone achieving the results you want to have. Then you can project yourself into the video during your visualization time.

That is the basic framework I use. Obviously this is a 30 000 feet view, but that should give you an idea of how you can go about it.

Anything specific you would like to visualize?

Melson 25 September, 2012 - 06:15

With visualisation, do you mean that you really see the images in front of you, even if you have your eyes closed? Like you are dreaming? Because whenever I try to visualise an object or locus, I find that I’m mentally ‘describing’ it rather than really seeing it. From your first post I understand that it will come with a lot of practice, so I guess I’ll have to do just that.

Meditation handbooks or manuals might have some good exercises on visualisation.

Josh 25 September, 2012 - 18:40

wesselj wrote:

…where are you at with visualization, and what would you like to do? Are you able to picture static images, or do you want to start at the very basics?

I have the basics of visualization down, but there is always room for improvement. I enjoy wandering around in my head. :slight_smile:

Melson wrote:

Meditation handbooks or manuals might have some good exercises on visualisation.

Good idea.

wesselj 26 September, 2012 - 00:05

I started out just describing it to myself, and that bothered me, because from what I could figure out from Dominic O’Brien and Harry Lorraine, they actually saw it. So I set a training schedule and began training with simple images until I could see them, Now it is more like a dream than describing, although I am not on the level where I get complete clarity and immersion yet.

Mikeproject2009 29 September, 2012 - 07:59

Hi
One of the good tools to learn visualization is hypnosis. During hypnotic trans your brain can learn visualization and very quickly start using it. So I would recommend it
Mike
believe in power of your brain

Matthew salukazana 23 April, 2013 - 11:02

I don’t want to burst anybody’s bubble but it’s almost impossible to visualise anything without being in the right brainwave first(theta brainwave).my opinion is,practise cartooning and visualise in cartoon format. It is much easier than real imagery.

shougo 23 April, 2013 - 14:12

Hi wesselj,

I posted the following as a topic but so far I’ve only received 1 answer. I’m hoping your could clear things out for me! :slight_smile:

Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me with visualization. I am currently going through the pmemory training course (got it for free online) and I cannot understand how exactly I’m supposed to visualize. I know that GMS has a very rigid way of doing things (no movement, fantasy etc) but it really emphasis on the fact that we must visualize Large, in Detail, in Color and in 3D.

What does large mean (this is what I have the most trouble with)? They say it must occupy your entire imagination, but if I do that its as if I’m standing in front of a skyscraper and I really have to struggle to “see” what I’m imagining. and also we have to imagine in color and in detail but the larger I make it the less colorful and detailed it gets.

And to see in 3D and large must I try to actually see the objects floating in front of me or should it be inside my mind?

I’m sure that even though GMS is much different than any other system the same basic principles apply… I would love to know them!!

I know these are really simple questions that probably require the most obvious answers but if someone with experience can help me out I would appreciate it immensely!!

Thanks!!

suncover 29 April, 2013 - 22:18

Shougo - you don’t have to see this stuff with your eyes open; closed is perfectly fine. If you have trouble with visualising large, 3D, objects, then start with small 2D objects. Once you have this really under control (by regular practice), then start trying to see small 3D objects. Visualise a 2D square, for example, and then stretch it out into the 3rd dimension by giving it depth. Slowly rotate it around in your mind - see the way the light plays off the sides, the way it casts shadow, the way the back looks smaller than the front, etc. Then, move onto more complex objects. Look at things in real life, shut your eyes, and try and reproduce them - then, in your mind, walk around to the back of the objects, and look at them from behind, etc. That’s how I’d be going about it for the moment :slight_smile:

shougo 30 April, 2013 - 11:28

Thanks for your answer suncover!! I have now decided to learn new systems and abandon GMS… after trying classic mnemonic techniques I agree that they are much superior!!

mfad 2 May, 2013 - 18:00

Hi,

Are you still gonna write a tutorial on visualization training?

Thanks.

cobra2 27 March, 2014 - 09:38

mfad wrote:

Hi,

Are you still gonna write a tutorial on visualization training?

Thanks.

I’d be interested in reading it too, i think I let my mind slack off a bit when it comes to visualizing clearly and I need to train myself to do it again. I’m thinking that maybe a bit of meditation will help, and also practice.

Metivier 28 March, 2014 - 08:58

I’ve made two visualization exercise suggestions here:

You can create many more exercises on your own based on these two suggestions.

And another odd little trick:

As you sit and stare at things before recreating them in your mind, pay close attention to the corners/edges of things. There’s something about liminal space that appears to be very important to creating clear mental impressions.

Oh, and also try doing this work in unique locations. The brain tends to secrete more noripinephrine when you’re in a novel situation which gives these visualization exercises an extra boost you can jack into later.

2 Likes