Visualization’s problems

It’s been nearly a month since I have started to use mnemonics. First I tried some tricks to get used to it. Then I tried to implement it in my studying routine. I discovered it’s even more consuming and difficult than what i used to do: speaking aloud over and over the things. First of all it’s quite a task to find a suitable palace that resembles the structure of my mind maps. Second, visualizing abstract words like “diritti particolari” (special laws) takes me too much time.
Also, my fear is that recalling and decoding informations during the exam, which will be oral, is going to stop me during exposition. Do you have some tips? Thank you

2 Likes

https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Techniques_to_Improve_Visualization
Try it

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Here’s a link to a podcast that mentions Phil Chambers:

I didn’t watch the complete podcast, so I can’t comment.

Thanks.

1 Like
  1. You do not have to use a palace that resembles the structure of your mind maps. You do not even have to use mind maps.
  2. You can make your own memory palace, which will be many times faster and more efficient in maintaining the structure you have.
  3. You do get faster in visualizing abstract information but you also do not have to go all out. As long as the images can help you, it can be combined with speaking aloud over and over.
  4. The fear of recalling and decoding information during the exam which in your case is oral can be solved by reviewing more frequently. Have your own simulation of the oral exam and time how long it takes you. As you continue doing this you will then end up getting better at recalling and decoding information in acceptable time and also overall spend less time than had you not.
  5. Often when you have learned things well using this method you do not even have to recall and decode information, you will remember it as if you had said it out loud over and over.

My main tip would be to review more adequately : spaced repetition.
Not just before you have forgotten the information since, using a memory palace you can decode images rather than know them. This instant knowing is what you will forget before you have forgotten how to decode images.

3 Likes

Thank you @OldGrantonian for the podcast, I downloaded it and when I will have time I will listen to it.

@Nagime

1. I disagree with that. A similar structure would help to recall the organization of the matter.
  2. I’m working on an artificial palace, but it’s not finished yet.

I will try to use spaced repetition for better recall. The best solution probably.

Thank you all

2 Likes

Even if you use memory palace to memorize something, you don’t have to miss out the power of mind mapping. It is really very helful to enhance creativity and also visualization. It can be helpful for people like Giammi99 because it uses so many visual images, icons etc. Also it helps you test yourself out of how much you remember from a particular subject without fooling yourself. You can perhaps resemble locations from your memory palace (or can resemble mind maps in memory palace)with some practice. Listen to the podcast above.

2 Likes

I had a look at the video just now. I must apologize immediately.

The entire 3-minute video is just a plug by the beardie for a book by the baldie. There’s absolutely nothing about the processes or mechanisms.

In my own defence, all I can say is that I don’t often watch videos because of my hearing difficulties.

To partially compensate, here’s a link from this forum that talks about efforts to link mind maps and memory palaces:

And another link which mentions “Gavino’s Massive Memory Palace System”, and mentions “sub-trees” and “branching”:

Thanks.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better

Actually, I use to thing so too, but it really isn’t. I found that if its understood, especially when reviewing and decoding, your mind will easily see the connection.

2 Likes

My first point was only that you didn’t ‘absolutely have to’ force yourself to use mind maps for an oral exam, if you did not want to. Also that memory techniques are still going to be effective even if you did not use mind maps.

Not that it is worse or better particularly to use mind-maps. I just listed a array of options including those in support of mind-map memory palaces.

2 Likes

Mind-mapping will still be effective for people having problems with visualization, that’s why I just suggested it to him.

3 Likes