Variations of the Peg System

What is The Peg System?

If you don't know, The Peg System is a mnemonic device used typically using a single-digit number system like The Number Shape System or The Number Rhyme System (I personally use The Number Shape System) wherein you link the image you have associated with that digit to what needs to be remembered. For example, if I wanted to remember that my piano recital is at 1:00, I would think of me meticulously playing a piano with a spear (Number Shape for 1) or shooting a piano with a gun (Number Shape for 1).

Variations

The Peg System can be also used to "link" two objects together. Say you want to remember that King is König in German but only care for the spelling and not the pronunciation, say, for a test. I imagine a giant gorilla (King Kong) reading a comic (the major system identifies K and G the same as they have similar sounds, so comic looks similar to konig already). There are even better ways, however.

On The Trivial Matter of Naming

(Skippable) Note that in my eyes, a system is where you translate an unimaginable thing, typically an abstract concept like numbers, into imaginable entities e.g. The Major System, The Ben System, The Dominic (PA) System, PAO System, etc. wherein the information presented has to be translated, like when you see a piano with the Major System; it's not a piano, it's 92 (PiaNo). A Method is the way of actually storing the data so you may be able to remember it, like The Method of Loci, The Roman Room Method, Story Method, and I'm sure there are others but these are only what I know. The Peg System is more of a Method and not at all a System. A Method is storing data, in which The Peg System takes the concept of storing data through another piece of data (making it perfect for correlation between two pieces of data such as a word and its meaning) and a System is in making abstract, forgettable concepts easier to remember. It should really be The Peg Method. This distinction may seem trivial, but it's important on the matter of naming the damn thing.

Multipeg Method

The Multipeg System, but I also call it the Factor System, is where you use more than one peg as two variables or factors to get the output. Think of the variables as the ingredients, the image as the recipe, and the output as the food, to think of it in food terms. Whereas in the previous example, we forever tied the word King to König, we can have two variables. Instead of just the word "King" as the only variable, we need to have another variable that signifies that the word is translated into German. Sorry to offend anyone, but the best image I could think of was of Adolf Hitler, and so he will be my variable, signifying the language of German. So for my new image, I shall imagine King Kong beating Adolf Hitler to death with a hammer on one hand, sickle on the other. King Kong stands for King, Adolf Hitler means German Language, and the hammer and sickle ☭ signify communism with the slang term "commie" sounding like comic, and in turn, spelled similarly to König.

Theatre Method

I once called it Locupeg but quickly realized how stupid that name is and ended up calling it The Theatre Method. The Theatre Method has two variables; the actors, and the stage, with an actor or the stage being the output. Imagine that previous correlation of King and König. Let's imagine King Kong (King) and Kaneki (grasping for straws, I saw that Kaneki, removing the i to form Kanek, looked like Konig) fighting it out in Brandenburg Gate (German), destroying it in the process. The Actors are King Kong and Kaneki, with Kaneki being the important one. My theory is that I'll think of Brandenburg Gate and King Kong, reminding me of King Kong fighting Kaneki.

Method of Liquid-Loci

The Method of Liquid-Loci is The Theatre Method but combined with The Method of Loci. You're using the Loci as the stage, which could mean different things depending on the variable you use. For comparison, imagine the Loci as the glass and the peg as the water, and each glass having a different shape, making the shape of the water the output. This allows re-usability of Loci so as to never run out. Say my location is my house and the first Loci is my front door. Let's say that I want to use my house as a way to remember information for skeleton anatomy and so I will use a skeleton as my peg. As for my front door, I want to remember that the patella is the knee, and so I imagine a skeleton attempting to knee open the front door, and for every knee, instead of blood gushing out, petals come out. And so I imagine the front door, the skeleton, and the patella. On the day of the exam, of course! Patella sounds like petal and the blood-petals are coming out the skeleton's knee because he (it...?) rammed it into the front door! And of course, the patella is the kneecap! Say I want to retain the information about the kneecap being the patella, and had to remember that the hippocampus is responsible for long-term memory. Say that I have already used up all the loci for the house, but want to reuse it, so I do, and instead of the skeleton, I use Albert Einstein, as he symbolizes the brain. I imagine the image of Albert Einstein riding a hippo, attempting to ram into the front door with Ben Pridmore attempting to stop what was clearly an odd burglary. So on the day of the test, I'm asked what the parts of the brain are and do. So I imagine my house with Albert Einstein in mind, and I remember Albert Einstein riding a hippo to the front door but Ben Pridmore is stopping it! I write down hippocampus and of course, Ben Pridmore is a world-champion memorizer, so that means that the hippocampus is responsible for long-term memories!

It was a bit hard to describe The Method of Liquid-Loci, but in a summary, it is to make The Method of Loci much more reusable, and with enough practice, your front door could have ten different meanings alone, and that’s not even accounting for your entire house! Hell, you could even use your body parts as the journey and it would be very effective!

My Comments

When it comes to memory competitions and you needing to make up an image, and quick, on the spot, well this isn't for you. Me being a student, however, makes me not particularly care for quickly finding an image. What I do care about, however, is studying vast amounts of information, and being able to remember them. And me not going out very much means I don't have many locations to remember so as to use for my loci, but what I aim for using the Peg System is as much use as I can milk out of any tool I have.